Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 20

Thread: Monster and archer faceoff

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Luleć, nothern Sweden
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts

    Monster and archer faceoff

    In my last thread I had a sketch of an archer in the forest, but after a lot of helpful feedback that the reference pick was just clearly wrong I decided to start over completely. (Old thread http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224155 )

    Here in the new sketch i hope the Anatomy is more correct and i manage to tell a story better, as well as define a lightsource etc.

    I be grateful for any feedback you might give me on the sketch. I hope i manage to define a tension and connection between the monster and the archer. The archer is suppose to be standing in high reeds.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,271
    Thanks
    192
    Thanked 232 Times in 219 Posts
    At the moment it is just a sketch, blurry and undefined.
    I think the composition is ok, maybe flipping horizontal would help the archer to read first. I would remove the grass from around the figure, its distracting.
    Check your lighting and remember that things are a little darker in the foreground.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to wilkerson For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Luleć, nothern Sweden
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
    Both sounds like good suggestions.

    I'll do a simple beach with a few small rocks and smaller tufts of grass rather then the reed thing then.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    590
    Thanks
    704
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 411 Posts
    You didn't have to make a new thread for this, but NBD.

    Do Thumbnails! Do . . . . say at least five different thumbnails for this—zoom in, zoom out, switch positions, high viewpoint, low viewpoint, different light direction, etc, etc, etc.

    I gather this is a swamp? Keep in mind that reeds don't really grow on dry land, so her feet would be sunk into the muck. Do some research or at least think about the transition between water and land. A rocky coastline may dive pretty quickly, but sandy beaches and swamps often stretch out for a ways. I don't see a problem with reeds as such, but the way you've show them doesn't really do much for your image.

    Keep it up!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to -Ross For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    419
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 135 Times in 134 Posts
    hey nice to see that your getting help from the community. I dont have much to say but rephrase what they have already said to keep it running through your mind. First the grass is too distracting. Put less emphasis on it. Second, I think you can come up with a more eye catching composition. I also see that you have some random squiggles and blobs on the upper right hand side. I do not quiet exactly see what they represent. I also think that you can work with the lighting. Since the moon is your source of light and its coming from the front, you need to show a greater contrast with the light and shadow. So I would say move away from the grey scale and go darker and dont be afraid to use blacks. I hope that wasnt too harsh. Other than that I like the whole concept that you have going on. Keep working hard! cheers
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to yogeshj25 For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Luleć, nothern Sweden
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
    Thank you for you help. I been out of town and haven't seen the latest post before now. Here I begun playing around with some mock colors and taking away the damn reeds. Even if I haven't put any work into the beach line yet.

    Ignore that the archer is a waaay to orange. Just tried to get a feel of the overall color scale.
    Last edited by w176; July 22nd, 2011 at 07:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Luleć, nothern Sweden
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Corlan View Post
    You didn't have to make a new thread for this, but NBD.

    Do Thumbnails! Do . . . . say at least five different thumbnails for this—zoom in, zoom out, switch positions, high viewpoint, low viewpoint, different light direction, etc, etc, etc.

    I gather this is a swamp? Keep in mind that reeds don't really grow on dry land, so her feet would be sunk into the muck. Do some research or at least think about the transition between water and land. A rocky coastline may dive pretty quickly, but sandy beaches and swamps often stretch out for a ways. I don't see a problem with reeds as such, but the way you've show them doesn't really do much for your image.

    Keep it up!
    Next time, I promise work with thumbnails. A bunch of them and play around with the composition as you advice, but right now I feel like I'm off to good start and will continue working on his one, even if it might not be the best angle ever, even if I might find a better one of I would do a couple thumbnails.

    I think i go for a muddy beach. It the sort of environment i know from real life, hence it would be fun to try to capture the muddy feelings with some small rocks and few tufts of grass. But I get some good reference pics before i begin.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Luleć, nothern Sweden
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yogeshj25 View Post
    hey nice to see that your getting help from the community. I dont have much to say but rephrase what they have already said to keep it running through your mind. First the grass is too distracting. Put less emphasis on it. Second, I think you can come up with a more eye catching composition. I also see that you have some random squiggles and blobs on the upper right hand side. I do not quiet exactly see what they represent. I also think that you can work with the lighting. Since the moon is your source of light and its coming from the front, you need to show a greater contrast with the light and shadow. So I would say move away from the grey scale and go darker and dont be afraid to use blacks. I hope that wasnt too harsh. Other than that I like the whole concept that you have going on. Keep working hard! cheers
    The random squiggles represent forest on the other side of the swamp/lake and yeah, the reeds should go.

    As said in the last post, next time i begin better and play around with thumbnails and composition more, but right now I will r to take this sketch from start to finish at it is.

    Greater contrast and use of black. Check. It seems like a good advice and I'll try it.

    Thank you, you where not at all to harsh. I happy for all the useful feedback i gotten since I dared to post a thread here, as well as looking at the advice given to other people.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    538
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 120 Times in 106 Posts
    Why is the creature glowing? I can't tell if it's bio-luminescent or a failed attempt at using the moon to create dramatic highlights. If it's the former, you need to move the moon away and make the creature's glow interact with the environment. If it's the latter, define your light source (the moon) and create proper rim-lights. Heck, REFERENCE those rim lights!

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NzdyeJxBlU...rminimoys4.jpg
    http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0...odyshape-6.jpg

    You may also want to reference landscape and water too, but I'll leave you to look for good sources
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxtrot Wolfwhistle For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Luleć, nothern Sweden
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot Wolfwhistle View Post
    Why is the creature glowing? I can't tell if it's bio-luminescent or a failed attempt at using the moon to create dramatic highlights. If it's the former, you need to move the moon away and make the creature's glow interact with the environment. If it's the latter, define your light source (the moon) and create proper rim-lights. Heck, REFERENCE those rim lights!

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NzdyeJxBlU...rminimoys4.jpg
    http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0...odyshape-6.jpg

    You may also want to reference landscape and water too, but I'll leave you to look for good sources
    Thank you for you comment.

    The glow around the creature is more or less just me making myself mental note of "I need rimlight, and I might add some special effects. (By hand)" by adding a other glow effect. But biolumices would be cool but then i agree that it would effect the water and so on.

    Thank you for the nice rimlight reference photos.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    538
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 120 Times in 106 Posts
    You're welcome. Always be clear about where you're headed. If you put a lazy paintover effect there as a reminder to do something incredibly important, there's a slim chance that you'll either forget to fix it or leave it as is because it looks okay enough and you can't be bothered to redo it. If you want rim lights, paint rim lights. If it's bio-luminescence, paint it with consideration to what's actually glowing. I hope that helps.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxtrot Wolfwhistle For This Useful Post:


  18. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Luleć, nothern Sweden
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot Wolfwhistle View Post
    You're welcome. Always be clear about where you're headed. If you put a lazy paintover effect there as a reminder to do something incredibly important, there's a slim chance that you'll either forget to fix it or leave it as is because it looks okay enough and you can't be bothered to redo it. If you want rim lights, paint rim lights. If it's bio-luminescence, paint it with consideration to what's actually glowing. I hope that helps.
    *Nods and takes notes*

    I think I will skip the bioluminescesn. I placed the monster there in the picture because i wanted the contrast between the moon and the monster, and doing bioluminescens feels like it might take away attention from that effect.

    Next time i will skip the lazy temporary paintover effect all together.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  19. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Luleć, nothern Sweden
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 65 Times in 40 Posts
    Another update. Right now the monster has a bit more texture then i plan to have, I'll probably tone it down later. The monster mirror image in the water isn't correct yet but it is a start at least. The edge between in the threes in the background and the lake is to sharp, and it will be fixed and some more work will go into the trees.

    The monster present and moment in the water should stir the water close to it as well.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Archer
    By hippl5 in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 3rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
  2. Monster concept art. last monster il draw in a long while
    By Pavel Sokov in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 29th, 2004, 07:19 PM
  3. Art: Monster concept art. last monster il draw in a long while
    By Pavel Sokov in forum FINISHED ART & ARTWORK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 29th, 2004, 07:19 PM
  4. Elf Archer
    By Retinal Haze in forum ART CRITIQUE CENTER
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 19th, 2004, 08:17 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook