New drawing schedule
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New drawing schedule

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New drawing schedule

I created a drawing schedule for myself to keep focused during my blocks of time I have to practice. So, I'm wondering if it looks solid or is there anything I should change, add, modify at all?

--

Life Drawing - 3 hours (30 minute sessions each)

5 minute break

Gesture study - 30 minutes (from that pose website)
    Book study (bridgman, Loomis, etc.) - 2 hours

5 minute break

Reference study (photos, master studies, other artists, etc) - 1 hour

Draw from imagination, experiment, doodle (not sure how much time I'll have left in the day for this)

----

So, I'm looking at about 7 hours, with breaks, and periods of setting up still lifes, etc. This is the weekday study. I'll be putting in more time on the weekends (aiming for 10 hours).

Thanks

Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing from imagination/memory has a greater priority than you're giving it. You need to see how well you're retaining all this information. After you draw a Bridgman arm study, cover it up and do it again from memory and then compare. Consider memory/imagination drawing to be a test on the assignments you've completed.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryan K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What kind of hours are you putting in right now, without the schedule you posted? No doubt that's what pro's put in, but 7-10 hours of drawing is pretty hardcore if you're not used to it.

My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent View Post
    What kind of hours are you putting in right now, without the schedule you posted? No doubt that's what pro's put in, but 7-10 hours of drawing is pretty hardcore if you're not used to it.
    I'm weening myself off of entertainment, which has been a gradual process. I'm a long time gamer and those things are crazy addicting (I was a WoW player and that's all I did for a long while). I want to change my deadbeat ways.

What kind of hours am I putting in now? Well, not enough, to be honest. So, that's why I wanted to motivate myself and keep focused by adhering to a schedule. The downside though is that it's going to create more stress, but I'm sure that's what the life of an artist is about anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, my point was that going from 'not enough' to 7-10 hours is pretty intense, you don't go from barely any exercise to suddenly running a marathon. I'm not saying there aren't people that can go from 10 to 100%, but I think chances of success are greater when you realistically build things up.

My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MidgardSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent View Post
    Well, my point was that going from 'not enough' to 7-10 hours is pretty intense, you don't go from barely any exercise to suddenly running a marathon. I'm not saying there aren't people that can go from 10 to 100%, but I think chances of success are greater when you realistically build things up.
    What I really need is more music, getting tired of listening to my small collection while I'm doing what I do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewHD View Post
    What I really need is more music, getting tired of listening to my small collection while I'm doing what I do.
    I usually don't even have music to listen to while I draw ;-;.

Just sweet silence...maddening...silence..

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just be sure to take some longer breaks so you go back to the drawing with fresh eyes. Go grab a piece of fruit or something, take a walk and then come back.

Trust me it DOES help to come back to something; sometimes even up to a week later you can see what you have to do.

As for new music, there's two good places I know that are totally legit and you've probably heard of them. Youtube and Pandora. If you don't know what Pandora is, it's free internet radio. The bands can be random, but the site usually sticks to a genre based on the band you initially search for. 40 hours of play time per month is the limit for people who don't have Pandora One. But, I'm sure between youtube and this, your music problems can be dealt with easier. Sorry I hope this isn't considered advertising; just tryin' to help!

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hitnrun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pandora used to be great (before they blocked UK ip addys over licence issues..booo!)

Type in ten songs you like and be bombarded with a near endless stream of music that's "a bit like that" that you'll probably like.

It might have changed massively but it was a good bet a couple of years back.

Edit: another free, legal option is type a few of your favourite bands into Amazon, look at "customers who bought this also really dig.." then youtube it.

Music is important, I feel weird painting without it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pandora really sucks. To them, Hendix is similar to The Beatles and whats even more apalling is that they think Dream Theater are similar to Katatonia!

Last FM ftw.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I did say it used to be good...

They blocked me so I have no idea how it is now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a real good idea man. I've been drawing about 9 hrs a day, 5 days a week for the past 6 months. The 6 months before that it was anywhere from 4 - 8 hours.

Here's how i do it...

Draw in 45 minute intervals with a 15 minute break.
    Start early in the day!!! So important, it's almost impossible to get a good 9 hrs if you've wasted the first 3 or so hours of the day.
    Make sure the first hour or two is sketching!! and then gradually move onto more "difficult" drawings.
    Split the day in two, draw four hours, take a long break like a few hours, then its the next four hours. Its much easier this way.

One of the hardest parts is staying focused. Find some audio books. lord of the rings, game of thrones, art of war, etc... I listen to house music where each set is an hour or so. If you learn to like it, there's a new set every day from a bunch of good djs, so you're always listening to new stuff. I recommend educational books and lectures too, if you're drawing all day, why not learn things at the same time.

It's real important and helps a ton if you convert your room into a studio. Remove anything not art related. I got rid of my t.v, my bros bed, my computer, my desk, deleted facebook, and even turned off my phone for 6 months until i got used to the "isolation".

Another thing thats helped a LOT is marking down each hour as you complete it on like a whiteboard or piece of paper somewhere on the walls where it's always visible. AND everyday write down in a journal that you will draw 9 hours a day or 7 hours in your case. Do it once int he morning and once at night.

Honestly, i keep to the 9hours a day schedule 3weeks out of each month. The least week i need to recuperate. It takes a toll on your back doing all that sitting. But still manage 4 hours of the last week.(four hours seems like nothing after you get used to your schedule)

It's real hard at first but it's wellllll worth it! i went from a 9 to 5 in a cubicle and not drawing for like 10 years to
    getting accepted to a wonderful art school with a great scholarship after just the first 6 months of doing this. And its only getting better

Sorry for the long post, just glad to hear you're doing this and wanting to help! Good luck and DON'T GIVE UP

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kunfyoozdish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers towards replacing a video game addiction with a drawing one. That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm envious of your 7 hour dedication though. I'm pulling 3 a night, and that's only because I don't feel comfortable drawing nudes when my parents are awake. When I start living on my own again in about a month, I'll probably be able to do a lot more.

Anyway, what I would do is integrate gesture studies into your life drawing sessions. Like, 30 minute life drawing, 30 minutes of gestures, 30 minutes of life drawing in blind contour, 30 minutes of life drawing focusing on tones, that sort of stuff.

If you're anything like me, you'll find that you don't really ever do stuff from imagination at this stage. Learning the fundamentals is a lot more fun than trying to do stuff from imagination poorly.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Strato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a hard time believing that you will stick to your schedule.

So far, I have managed it ONCE to draw 8 hours on a day.
    Yesterday I studied Bridgman and Bammes shoulder/torso anatomy, and one bloody A4 sheet had cost me 2 hours to draw, because I wanted to make sure I memorize it and not copy.
    After those two hours I was just done. I used to be a wow addict, I'm talking some 18hrs/day here, but drawing is a completely different matter of concentration. The time I would normally have spent on hopping around Ogrimmar or farming herbs, I now have to spent actively and concentrate.

I have come to the conclusion that I can't put myself schedules (hours) for a day, it puts me under pressure, blocks me and gets me seriously pissed. Instead, I set goals like the Spartan Camp (50 gestures/week), participate in CoW/ChoW without actually entering the contests, and things like "I really want to know the knee by the end of the week".
    This has proven more effective for me. I have a household to keep and I am studying full-time writing my dissertation, so I can't be so stiff in my schedule.
    If this works for you well then congratulations! Just giving you some ideas here

20. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Last FM ftw.
    No kidding.
    Whenever someone says they listen to Pandora I just laugh. There's just no point to it.

Last.FM has SO much more variety and they don't limit your skips.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. It is great you wish to draw 7 hours a day. That is a lot of time! Here is my experience with this during last summer...
    I told myself I would spend some intense number of hours drawing. My focus was figure drawing, like yourself it seems. What happened, however, was a disaster. My first sitting was about 8-9 hours of non stop drawing. I had filled many pages of my sketchbook with drawings I am still proud of today. Then came the second day, I was tired but still motivated. The hours decreased to around 6-7ish. Then came the next day. I looked at the paper. Sighed. Doodled for a while, studied some anatomy. It wasnt a bad day at all, I spent a while studying. However, it was no 8-9 hour marathon. Things continued until after about a week I felt so fatigued and tired of drawing that I didnt draw for while after. I was just tired of it all.
    What am I trying to say? As motivated you might be, make sure you do not over do it. Back in middle school I remember my PE teacher making us run laps for 12 minutes as a fitness exam. He would say, "Make sure you find a steady pace, do not start too fast." I remember I used to start sprinting idiotically with my friends and after a minute or two, we ended up having to half-ass the rest, exhausted.

If you want to go from "not enough" to 7 hours that is great. However, maybe you should see where your limit is first. Draw for a while, see what a reasonable amount of time is. Then push yourself to draw for maybe 1 hour more than that. Do that amount of time for a week. Keep doing that and you will condition yourself. Works for me. And make sure you take longer breaks. 5 minutes is definately not enough. Go outside, jog a little. whatever relaxes you.

Good luck mate!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saraiva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all for your advice, I'll look into taking longer breaks since I will need them, no doubt. I'm thinking about having a "fun" day out of the week, where I relax and I don't adhere to a schedule, and maybe just draw and doodle things like zombies, and street fighter characters in poses that I learned from Bridgman and my other books.

We'll see how it goes, it's going to take getting used to. And yeah, I understand that it isn't about the time so much as it is how hard you work with what you got.

@LordLouis I'm glad I'm not the only one who takes a while doing those reference drawings. I admit, I try to make things too perfect, ie copying than interpreting; I have to literally keep telling myself "I'm not a photocopier".

As for staying motivated, I watch these videos.

I have my eyes set on Lucas Arts. Bioware is a top notch company, too (Baldur's Gate, baby).

If that ever happens, we'll have to see. Fat chance, I know.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    No kidding.
    Whenever someone says they listen to Pandora I just laugh. There's just no point to it.

Now I'm all about Spotify. I didn't expect to be so impressed by it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my schedule (that I followed for only about two weeks ) if you're interested. What I didn't list is I also did a lot of imagination work and free-stuff. It has some music stuff so it's a little different. It's based off of Dave Raposa's.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by OldJake666; July 16th, 2011 at 03:56 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 394 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I created a drawing schedule for myself to keep focused during my blocks of time I have to practice. So, I'm wondering if it looks solid or is there anything I should change, add, modify at all?
    Spend at least 8 hours a day a'lurking in the Lounge. It's gonna happen, you might as well schedule it in there.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    Hey there. It is great you wish to draw 7 hours a day. That is a lot of time! Here is my experience with this during last summer...
    I told myself I would spend some intense number of hours drawing. My focus was figure drawing, like yourself it seems. What happened, however, was a disaster. My first sitting was about 8-9 hours of non stop drawing. I had filled many pages of my sketchbook with drawings I am still proud of today. Then came the second day, I was tired but still motivated. The hours decreased to around 6-7ish. Then came the next day. I looked at the paper. Sighed. Doodled for a while, studied some anatomy. It wasnt a bad day at all, I spent a while studying. However, it was no 8-9 hour marathon. Things continued until after about a week I felt so fatigued and tired of drawing that I didnt draw for while after. I was just tired of it all.
    What am I trying to say? As motivated you might be, make sure you do not over do it. Back in middle school I remember my PE teacher making us run laps for 12 minutes as a fitness exam. He would say, "Make sure you find a steady pace, do not start too fast." I remember I used to start sprinting idiotically with my friends and after a minute or two, we ended up having to half-ass the rest, exhausted.

If you want to go from "not enough" to 7 hours that is great. However, maybe you should see where your limit is first. Draw for a while, see what a reasonable amount of time is. Then push yourself to draw for maybe 1 hour more than that. Do that amount of time for a week. Keep doing that and you will condition yourself. Works for me. And make sure you take longer breaks. 5 minutes is definately not enough. Go outside, jog a little. whatever relaxes you.

Good luck mate!
    My view is consistency is better then trying to have a 8 or 7 hours per day, especially when its a beginner. I rather work myself from 1 hour and build up to 8 hours. Since people tend to give up if they set unrealistic goals

Besides, people with extreme hours of practice are usually professionals.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're planning on doing these marathon hours of drawing, then you're probably one of the few who could manage to do all 375 hours of The Natural Way to Draw. I did a little over 40 hours before I realized that gestures and anatomical studies were a little beyond my level and I needed to focus more on basic forms and perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan K View Post
    Drawing from imagination/memory has a greater priority than you're giving it. You need to see how well you're retaining all this information. After you draw a Bridgman arm study, cover it up and do it again from memory and then compare. Consider memory/imagination drawing to be a test on the assignments you've completed.
    I found that after one hour of copying, doing some quick drawings in the sense of what you study help, maybe 15 minutes or so. I don't know anything though, I'm new to this.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    No kidding.

As for you...I laugh!

http://grooveshark.com/#/playlist/Everything+/43436931

Enjoy, everyone. I know of good music.

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    Here's my schedule (that I followed for only about two weeks ) if you're interested. What I didn't list is I also did a lot of imagination work and free-stuff. It has some music stuff so it's a little different. It's based off of Dave Raposa's.
    I wish I could spare that much time to this! ;-; work and full time study booo.

Might I suggest that you bring the gesture drawings BEFORE life drawing? Gestures for me have been great as warm ups for drawing from observation and gets you into the mindset. So really you'd be carrying on from that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Regarding music players, check out turntable.fm. You get to take turns dj'ing with other people, it's pretty fun, especially if you get people you know on there.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Life Drawing - 3 hours (30 minute sessions each)
    Just to clarify Mathew...I think you mean "drawing from life"? Not "life drawing" or figure? The two are very easily confused which is why it is so important to be clear on which one.

IMHO LordLouis has a better approach...focus on learning/studying/exploring a particular thing until you understand it well/better. Don't worry about time...time just does not matter. The focus is very different...with time/schedule you're focused on just putting in the time, thinking you're making headway, "Whew! That was my three hours on "X"...what a grind but I did it!"...with focusing on a principle, fundamental or a component (hands, eyes, reflected light, etc.) it doesn't matter how long you spend, it is more like, "OK...I see that now, that makes sense." That is the real learning and retention...just putting in "time" won't do it.

One of my mentors called it "diligent study"...in other words plenty of people spend hours and hours "practicing", but to no avail...because they are not focused on understanding. Drawing and painting are 50% hand-eye coordination and mastering the media...and 50% thinking. Probably more like 25% media 75% thinking actually.

Hope that helps.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post
    Now I'm all about Spotify. I didn't expect to be so impressed by it.
    That.

(5 a month for Unlimited is well worth it)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Just to clarify Mathew...I think you mean "drawing from life"? Not "life drawing" or figure? The two are very easily confused which is why it is so important to be clear on which one.

IMHO LordLouis has a better approach...focus on learning/studying/exploring a particular thing until you understand it well/better. Don't worry about time...time just does not matter. The focus is very different...with time/schedule you're focused on just putting in the time, thinking you're making headway, "Whew! That was my three hours on "X"...what a grind but I did it!"...with focusing on a principle, fundamental or a component (hands, eyes, reflected light, etc.) it doesn't matter how long you spend, it is more like, "OK...I see that now, that makes sense." That is the real learning and retention...just putting in "time" won't do it.

One of my mentors called it "diligent study"...in other words plenty of people spend hours and hours "practicing", but to no avail...because they are not focused on understanding. Drawing and painting are 50% hand-eye coordination and mastering the media...and 50% thinking. Probably more like 25% media 75% thinking actually.

Hope that helps.
    It's more rewarding this way as well. If you spend X amount of hours on a subject like perspective and nothing makes sense still by the end of the time frame then it may feel like you didn't accomplish as much(even though you may have drawn a lot). However if you focus on what you're learning and get the ah ha! moment then it feels much better to take a break or move on to another subject because you really learned something.

Besides before you know it you'll get into that zen zone of drawing and time will pass by quickly. If you're checking each hour to see how much time you have left, that 8 hours is gonna feel like an eternity. Like when they tell you at work not to look at the clock because if you do it will feel like the day drags on but if you don't see the clock and just work away, before you know it you're finished for the day!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    Regarding music players, check out turntable.fm. You get to take turns dj'ing with other people, it's pretty fun, especially if you get people you know on there.
    This is my music player.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My goal is to do 1000 drawings/works in a month :3. Its possible. I take my sketchbook everywhere with me so its always handy!!

Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1