Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New drawing schedule

Thanks

New drawing schedule

I created a drawing schedule for myself to keep focused during my blocks of time I have to practice. So, I'm wondering if it looks solid or is there anything I should change, add, modify at all?

--

Life Drawing - 3 hours (30 minute sessions each)

5 minute break

Gesture study - 30 minutes (from that pose website)
    Book study (bridgman, Loomis, etc.) - 2 hours

5 minute break

Reference study (photos, master studies, other artists, etc) - 1 hour

Draw from imagination, experiment, doodle (not sure how much time I'll have left in the day for this)

----

So, I'm looking at about 7 hours, with breaks, and periods of setting up still lifes, etc. This is the weekday study. I'll be putting in more time on the weekends (aiming for 10 hours).

Thanks
    Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Drawing from imagination/memory has a greater priority than you're giving it. You need to see how well you're retaining all this information. After you draw a Bridgman arm study, cover it up and do it again from memory and then compare. Consider memory/imagination drawing to be a test on the assignments you've completed.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryan K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What kind of hours are you putting in right now, without the schedule you posted? No doubt that's what pro's put in, but 7-10 hours of drawing is pretty hardcore if you're not used to it.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent View Post
    What kind of hours are you putting in right now, without the schedule you posted? No doubt that's what pro's put in, but 7-10 hours of drawing is pretty hardcore if you're not used to it.
    I'm weening myself off of entertainment, which has been a gradual process. I'm a long time gamer and those things are crazy addicting (I was a WoW player and that's all I did for a long while). I want to change my deadbeat ways.

What kind of hours am I putting in now? Well, not enough, to be honest. So, that's why I wanted to motivate myself and keep focused by adhering to a schedule. The downside though is that it's going to create more stress, but I'm sure that's what the life of an artist is about anyway.

Thanks
    Well, my point was that going from 'not enough' to 7-10 hours is pretty intense, you don't go from barely any exercise to suddenly running a marathon. I'm not saying there aren't people that can go from 10 to 100%, but I think chances of success are greater when you realistically build things up.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MidgardSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MidgardSerpent View Post
    Well, my point was that going from 'not enough' to 7-10 hours is pretty intense, you don't go from barely any exercise to suddenly running a marathon. I'm not saying there aren't people that can go from 10 to 100%, but I think chances of success are greater when you realistically build things up.
    What I really need is more music, getting tired of listening to my small collection while I'm doing what I do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewHD View Post
    What I really need is more music, getting tired of listening to my small collection while I'm doing what I do.
    I usually don't even have music to listen to while I draw ;-;.

Just sweet silence...maddening...silence..
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Just be sure to take some longer breaks so you go back to the drawing with fresh eyes. Go grab a piece of fruit or something, take a walk and then come back.

Trust me it DOES help to come back to something; sometimes even up to a week later you can see what you have to do.

As for new music, there's two good places I know that are totally legit and you've probably heard of them. Youtube and Pandora. If you don't know what Pandora is, it's free internet radio. The bands can be random, but the site usually sticks to a genre based on the band you initially search for. 40 hours of play time per month is the limit for people who don't have Pandora One. But, I'm sure between youtube and this, your music problems can be dealt with easier. Sorry I hope this isn't considered advertising; just tryin' to help!
    Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hitnrun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewHD View Post
    Pandora used to be great (before they blocked UK ip addys over licence issues..booo!)

Type in ten songs you like and be bombarded with a near endless stream of music that's "a bit like that" that you'll probably like.

It might have changed massively but it was a good bet a couple of years back.

Edit: another free, legal option is type a few of your favourite bands into Amazon, look at "customers who bought this also really dig.." then youtube it.

Music is important, I feel weird painting without it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Pandora really sucks. To them, Hendix is similar to The Beatles and whats even more apalling is that they think Dream Theater are similar to Katatonia!

Last FM ftw.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Well, I did say it used to be good...

They blocked me so I have no idea how it is now.

Thanks
    It's a real good idea man. I've been drawing about 9 hrs a day, 5 days a week for the past 6 months. The 6 months before that it was anywhere from 4 - 8 hours.

Here's how i do it...

Draw in 45 minute intervals with a 15 minute break.
    Start early in the day!!! So important, it's almost impossible to get a good 9 hrs if you've wasted the first 3 or so hours of the day.
    Make sure the first hour or two is sketching!! and then gradually move onto more "difficult" drawings.
    Split the day in two, draw four hours, take a long break like a few hours, then its the next four hours. Its much easier this way.

One of the hardest parts is staying focused. Find some audio books. lord of the rings, game of thrones, art of war, etc... I listen to house music where each set is an hour or so. If you learn to like it, there's a new set every day from a bunch of good djs, so you're always listening to new stuff. I recommend educational books and lectures too, if you're drawing all day, why not learn things at the same time.

It's real important and helps a ton if you convert your room into a studio. Remove anything not art related. I got rid of my t.v, my bros bed, my computer, my desk, deleted facebook, and even turned off my phone for 6 months until i got used to the "isolation".

Another thing thats helped a LOT is marking down each hour as you complete it on like a whiteboard or piece of paper somewhere on the walls where it's always visible. AND everyday write down in a journal that you will draw 9 hours a day or 7 hours in your case. Do it once int he morning and once at night.

Honestly, i keep to the 9hours a day schedule 3weeks out of each month. The least week i need to recuperate. It takes a toll on your back doing all that sitting. But still manage 4 hours of the last week.(four hours seems like nothing after you get used to your schedule)

It's real hard at first but it's wellllll worth it! i went from a 9 to 5 in a cubicle and not drawing for like 10 years to
    getting accepted to a wonderful art school with a great scholarship after just the first 6 months of doing this. And its only getting better

Sorry for the long post, just glad to hear you're doing this and wanting to help! Good luck and DON'T GIVE UP

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kunfyoozdish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cheers towards replacing a video game addiction with a drawing one. That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm envious of your 7 hour dedication though. I'm pulling 3 a night, and that's only because I don't feel comfortable drawing nudes when my parents are awake. When I start living on my own again in about a month, I'll probably be able to do a lot more.

Anyway, what I would do is integrate gesture studies into your life drawing sessions. Like, 30 minute life drawing, 30 minutes of gestures, 30 minutes of life drawing in blind contour, 30 minutes of life drawing focusing on tones, that sort of stuff.

If you're anything like me, you'll find that you don't really ever do stuff from imagination at this stage. Learning the fundamentals is a lot more fun than trying to do stuff from imagination poorly.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Strato For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast