lost creativity?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

lost creativity?

hey there,

that topic is bothering me for a quite long period. ive been to an art school from 16 to 22 (about 3 years ago). my drawings have become better, sure thats experience and practice (ive been slacking for about 2 years), but i seem to have lost my inspiration .

sammy mentioned in insects hoax-thread that inspiration is lost due to growing up... how did you creative artists out there gain it back?!?

im sometimes so frustrated about my lack of inspiration it nearly drives me mad... :/

id be glad if you could tell me some routines or workarounds to regain this most essential part of art-creation (imo).

thank you, i really appreciate every serious comment .

cheers.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might want to read the book "Practice and Science of Drawing" by Harold Speed. It doesn't teach creativity or help you with imagination, but he does give good tips on how to make a good drawing through line and mass rhythm. He gives examples of old masters drawings and paintings and shows how they made them visually interesting. Basically the books tries to teach you how to get away from making a boring technically accurate drawing, to something more expressful and visually appealing.

Learning those things might help you see things in nature you hadn't thought of before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the thing is when most people get older they stop learning, and learning, in itself, is a process of inspiring the mind through new ideas.

I always find new things to learn, and new things to read, do.

Just keep finding new things to feed your mind with, and you should have some inspiration come back to you in no time.

-=(v)=-

Art calls for complete mastery of techniques, developed by reflection within the soul. - Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you for responding guys.

@ mtw... i ll "risk" a look at this book thank you

@ firewalker... my worst problems seems to be, that i cant tell if my pieces are creative or not. i look at artworks on this page, which are so amazingly fresh... maybe its just jealousy?

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand that issue completely. Instead of looking at the artwork here and saying "jee I wish I could get that good", you should actually apply yourself and set a goal for you to reach. It's usually the ambition of adversity that sets us on the path to creativity.

I also believe that an artist has to be free to be able to be creative, as said in my signature, so maybe you should just get away from "it all" and bring a sketch pad or something with you, and capture something that is out and about where you're not attached down by work or life...

-=(v)=-

Art calls for complete mastery of techniques, developed by reflection within the soul. - Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Recently I've going back to the things that made me want draw when I was younger. Reading the books I liked, playing old school games. I think it's starting to help a little.

And don't forget to observe your surroundings. "whenever i go out, i become a sponge, trying to soak up as many things i can fit in my head. what kinds of objects are there, how do they look, how do they react to the general lighting, how do people dress" thats something Lung bug wrote a while back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys.

the more i do and the less i "want to immediatly" the more creative i am it seems to me ^^. the first post has been written in a desperate mood. sometimes i dont feel like im progressing at all... but then after standing up the next day i see ive accomplished alot. and thats what gives me power to continue my artistic journey .

rash... yeah thats a good point. ive been reading some of these stories lately, and there ve been so much pictures in my mind its been like WOAH ^^.

it all depends on the mood im in, it seems .

thanks for participating

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i feel that jealousy runs rampant among artists...I'm no great artist by any means...but I am an artist, who gets extremely jealous when I see things I love. It's only when I like another peice of art that I get jealous...and that is what gives me inspiration...I guess it's competition with other people who have no idea that Im competing with them. Ofcourse I keep it healthy, otherwise I'd probably quit the pen

stepping razor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    firewalker, i think you hit the nail on its little head with that. once we leave college we have very little opportunity or even need, for learning. so unless we have the intrinsic motivation to learn new things, it doesnt become a habit for us. and so the idea of undertaking a new learning challenge can be daunting.

and the idea of setting goals for yourself is super good advice. setting out to 'learn to speak japanese.' or to "learn how to draw better", is an overwhelming task. but breaking the larger task into measurable, attainable goals makes it possible. so "i want to learn to speak japanese" becomes "i want to learn the first 80 kanji", or "i want to learn how to draw better" becomes, "i want to learn how to draw with 5 values", or "i want to learn how to draw a hand".

hmm.. im babbling. must.. stop..
    -pete

Members who have read this thread: 1