Steampunk Coppelia :UPDATED:

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Steampunk Coppelia :UPDATED:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Steampunk Coppelia :UPDATED:

I made this for the last chow. I didnt get much feedback and want to know where I stand, what to focus on, mistakes I make, etc. I just want to be burnt, shoot me, I need and want to improve.

Thank in advance

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PS Zant; July 16th, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first thing that sticks out to me is that the left side of the image is just too dark. And especially as a thumbnail, it would disappear. Even now, it's impossible for me to see what's going on with her right hand and leg. The pose seems kind of arbitrary, almost like a samba dance, but I don't think that's what you were going for. I'm not sure that steam coming from one's armpits is exactly the *coolest* thing ever, but hey, that might just be me I do like the hat design.

Anyway, work on your color theory, too much purpley magenta, which is a bit depressing, and detracts from the action in the pose.

Not sure if I made the best sense here, but I'm open to clarifying!

SKETCHBOOK

BLOG

"Only put off till tomorrow, what you are willing to die left undone." -Pablo Picasso

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwigarbage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And kiwi barged right in and said what i was going to say while I did a quick paintover. Well refer to him for commentary on this

Name:  igtwmu5r.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  152.9 KB

Basically think about how things are able to READ. It's too harsh overall, with the background following the lighting of her body; it's too light behind her light parts ,too dark behind her dark parts. A more even tone throughout ensures that it's dark enough to see her arms but light enough to see her shadows. Too much black on her as well, try to get a more even sense of colour with the dress. Just because things dip into shadow doesn't mean they become black. What's light in light is still relatively light in shadow. her white leg would be much lighter in shade than her dress.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow that was fast thank you guys so much for the comments and paintover so far. I will dive back in and try to change the values and colors.

To be honest never worked much with color but I quess that was clear

Do you guys have any tips what are good things to do for color study?
    I never know where to go with the colors in shadows other then black or very dark blue. I will study some reference and try to adjust it.

about the pose I was going for a flamenco stance but I do think it misses some flow. think I will first try to focus on the values and color and try to adjust them.
    I will try to post a update tomorrow with the use of your comments. First going to do some studies on the values and colors.

again thank you so much guys

Last edited by PS Zant; July 15th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update tried to change the things you guys commented about. now I will dive back in and try to push it further and try to understand the why in things why that colors, why the value changes, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet paintover, Jason.

Hey Zant...kudos on following up for feedback. I think it is worth pointing out that, in addition to addressing the light and color issues, Jason also made some small but effective changes to the structure of the face. Your original piece had, in my opinion, a very masculine visage. The original head (and your followup repaint) also looks pretty big for the body.

Also, you have the steam coming out awfully close to the armpits, which borders on comical.

The legs seem a bit short, especially the right thigh (which can't be explained by foreshortening).

Lastly, I'm not sure it is a good idea to crop the image so the feet are partially cut off.

I like the pose, and your piece has some nice details. I look forward to seeing your progress!

My portfolio

Would you like to see my drawr-rings?

Will design for food, provided that we all agree that money is edible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks DPFX!!

I will try to change the head and try some different locations for the steam. And let's see if the cropping works. It's fun to dive back in and work on it to make the picture work better. thank you guys learning so much from adjusting my faults you guys pointed out.

Do you mean her right leg or the right one for the viewer?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update:

Resized and changed the head, cropped it down, removed the steam for now.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.