Addiction to Energy Drinks?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Addiction to Energy Drinks?

Hey guys,

Lately I have been lacking energy during my day. I feel unmotivated in general. Its been having an effect on my art and work so I have been trying to change it. I took one of those energy shots after a friend recommended it to me and surprisingly it worked great. It helps me work for hours and hours nonstop without even noticing. The problem is that I have been relying on it for energy and it must be terrible for my health.

Anyone else have experienced a similiar problem with dependence on energy drinks? :/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    exercise dude, preferably outside.. whatever floats your boat, also check your eating habits

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been there, done that, and I agree with what the Chihuahua said. Eat healthier, maybe run a few laps, and you will have more energy. If that doesn't work, maybe you should consider getting your bloodwork done or whatever to make sure everything's clicking internally.

Also try and make sure your emotional life is in order. If you're too stressed out or depressed, your brain will attempt to KO you as a coping mechanism.

Energy drinks can be pretty risky. There's a saying where I live that says that every Five Hour Energy you drink shaves five years off your total life-span. Get ye to a long-term solution, bro.

And here's my sketchbook. Help me out with some c&c?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, eat less. Avoid those energy drinks, they're awful for you. What I would recommend to do, instead, is to wake up (early-ish) and drink one cup of green or white tea each hour until about noon or 1. This will give you a sustainable and healthy amount of caffeine, while being very good for you. Any later and you may have trouble sleeping. Go to sleep earlier, and wake up earlier. And yes, exercise.

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following

*high pitched voice* "I don't see nothing wrong with a little pick-me-up. Nuh-uh, I drimk me some REDBALLS!" AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

*poop, poop*
    lol

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm terrible with energy drinks too. Really really terrible. I'll try the green tea idea... and I guess exercise too hah ta.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Energy drinks don't work on me. Never have. They just taste interesting.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1-2 hours @ the gym to start your day off before work, 15-30min power nap, protein and Vitamin C food @ lunch time, you'll be good. Energy drinks f#ck with your heart valves if you're not burning it off with cardio activity (sweating at the track or gym), and can cause cardiovascular damage gradually over time for those that drink and stay prone or doing low activity. I'll do a sugar free Red Bull to finish out a late night client or if I have 1-2 hours left on an illustration, but I don't sleep on the residual effects after I finish working. I'll curl and military press dumbbells, do crunches and hoof it or bike it for a few blocks, and drink 2 glasses of water before I lay it down. If you're not feeling physical activity, don't take energy supplements of any sort. Nothing replaces proper rest, diet, and exercise.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Energy drinks are a reaaaaally bad idea for an habit, is just a ton of sugar and a ton of caffeine, and mixed in stuff like Taurine which doesn`t seem to cause much consensus as to why the hell is actually there for.

I have it pretty bad with coffee myself, wathever push you feel is temporary, once you let it become an habit it will be very counter-productive, makes it all worse.

Look for options, maybe ask a nutricionist, sometimes little tweaks on behaviour will do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^^^ listen to what all above have said, also try limiting if not completely removing carbonated drinks from your diet. (you wont believe how sluggish they make you feel)

make sure to eat a little for breakfast, limit greasy fast food and etc, try eating better quality foods ..you know don't put shit in your body and expect to be feeling like rainbows and sunshine

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with blackARK about vitamins. If you don't eat enough vitamins, it will make you much more tired. Back when I was in school and during the later half of the year, I used take vitamin tabs everyday and after couple weeks I seriously felt much more energized. So even if it's something as small as that, it can help.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i heard fruits help

i mean it helped me... with my lack of fiber...

~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just recently kicked my habit.
    For a bit I had no energy and was bleh after giving them up. Yoga and stretching helps, and if you feel up to it as others have said, getting exercise. Being outside in nature seems to help to. Even if it's the little park or your backyard, just sitting helps c:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to drink a lot of energy drinks and now my stomachs tries to kill itself after I take even a strong cup of coffee. So yeah, I'd try to quit them as soon as you can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eat more carbs.

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    WAKE UP EARLY, if you're waking up lae in the day you will feel tired all day. Eat VEGETABLES, lots of em and less meat - especially red since it takes so much energy transforming it into poop and thereby it makes you more tired then what yo could have been. Drink WATER, loads of it. GO OUT JOGGING every 2nd day, it helps a lot.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, the FDA will pretty much approve anything that doesn't outright poison you so-- well-- just be wary of any drink that has a dosage suggestion on the back, eh?

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still surprised people drink those things and like them.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    Anyone else have experienced a similiar problem with dependence on energy drinks? :/
    read the top answer here, esp. 2nd part -
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7092320AAaRxqX

and check sugar concentration in your energy drink of choice.

also, as far as I know, American manufacturers are not supposed to include the full list of ingredients on the packaging, so there might be some another "energy boosting" crap, that's adding to the overall stress reaction from your body.

energy drinks, especially alcoholic ones, are a major factor towards pancreatitis development, btw

Quote Originally Posted by ReneOchoNueve View Post
    Energy drinks are a reaaaaally bad idea for an habit, is just a ton of sugar and a ton of caffeine, and mixed in stuff like Taurine which doesn`t seem to cause much consensus as to why the hell is actually there for.
    My eye support pills have quite a high taurine values (500 mg daily average), and yes, it may induce sedative effects in some people.
    screaming about DANGERS of taurine is quite retarded though -
    " The daily dose of Taurine should be between 100-500mg, and one can of a popular energy drink, for example, has 1000 milligrams of synthetically produced Taurine. Some people are drinking up to eight cans a day (8000mg of Taurine), an amount that can have drug-like effects on the body and cause damage."
    I have no idea how much danger taurine alone actually adds to 1,5 L of concentrated sugar-caffeine soup tbh.

Last edited by ikken; July 15th, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
    on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post
    You know, the FDA will pretty much approve anything that doesn't outright poison you so-- well-- just be wary of any drink that has a dosage suggestion on the back, eh?
    The FDA allows Chicken McNuggets to exist, which are made from this:

Does anything else need to be said? Also, pink slime. Just because you can buy something and it's supposedly good for you, doesn't mean it is.

Seconding the get up early, do sports, eat your veggies.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Chicken McNuggets are made of strawberry softserve? AWESOME!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

Urgh. I feel like a light just went out in my soul.

And here's my sketchbook. Help me out with some c&c?

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the dead thread rez...

I've just made the switch to green tea today after a daily habit of 3 or so cans of big V per day (ack...)...

I've got a couple of friends who have made similar switches in the past and saying how rough it was... There's some great advice here already but... I'm just making another call out for tips and advice to help me out through the transitional period...

I was thinking of buying a large flask and filling it up with green tea, then following advice here of having some of it hourly til 1pm and seeing how that goes.

Wish me luck!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    Not to mention that the FDA approved tobacco.
    Not exactly. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulat...dministration:
    Prior to 1996, the FDA played no role in the regulation of tobacco products, and was controlled through a combination of state and congressional regulation. Most state laws dealt with the sale of tobacco products, including the issue of selling to minors and licensing of distributors. By 1950, all states had laws prohibiting the sale of tobacco products to minors, which at the time, the purchase age differed in each state.

In 1964, Surgeon General Luther Terry issued a report on smoking and health saying that tobacco causes lung cancer and is a main contributor to bronchitis. Subsequently, in 1965, the US Congress passed the Federal Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act (FCLAA), which required a health warning on all cigarette packs. In 1970, President Richard Nixon signed the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act, which banned cigarettes ads on the radio or television. It also required an updated warning on the cigarette packages which read: "Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that cigarette smoking is dangerous to your health."

In 1996, the FDA issued the "FDA Rule," which asserted its authority over tobacco products and issued a rule intending to prevent and reduce tobacco use by children. The intended regulations included prohibiting non-face-to-face sales of tobacco products, prohibiting outdoor advertising of tobacco products near schools or playgrounds, imposing more stringent advertising regulations, and prohibiting brand name sponsorships, among other things.

After the regulations were issued in 1996, tobacco companies sued. In the 2000 Supreme Court case FDA v. Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corp., the court ruled that Congress had not given the FDA authority over tobacco and tobacco marketing.

As a result, Congress was forced to provide explicit FDA authority to regulate tobacco and this was finally accomplished via the passage of the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act in 2009.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

Does anything else need to be said? Also, pink slime. Just because you can buy something and it's supposedly good for you, doesn't mean it is.

Seconding the get up early, do sports, eat your veggies.
    ...........ehn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - I, Nazarene, Recognize my Impurity -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ....I liked nuggets.. *sadface*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Energy drinks are shit and so is most of the food most people eat. I'm totally a convert.

3 weeks ago I bought a Breville juicer and I detoxed my system. 3 days of nothing but an assortment of juices. It was awful, but I could feel all of the toxins in my system finally being released.

After that I switched to a "Fish and Foul + veggie" diet (i.e no red meat or pork) where my meals are pretty much split in half with a protein and a ton of vegetables. This is all including still a juice or two a day packed full of nutrients from kale, carrots, oranges, ginger, spinach, and beets. As for carbs, I pretty much only have a small amount of rice (i.e. sushi etc) and unsliced fresh bread from local bakeries. If I have anything sweetened EVER...it's with honey.

I haven't had an energy drink or a cup of coffee in 3 weeks because I haven't needed it. I have plenty of energy and even with sitting at the computer all day, I don't start to drag. I've also lost 12 lbs.

I'm not going vegan or even entirely organic (though I'd say about 60% of my diet is organic at this point. If it isn't organic, I at least know all the ingredients in whatever I am eating). I'm telling you this because it's not freaking hard at all.

A month ago, I ate at McDonalds.
    I drank soda. My meals consisted of a protein (usually beef or pork, and if it was chicken it was fried) and potato product (fries, usually).

So I am quite accustomed to eating like complete dogshit and I felt like dogshit because of it. Give your body 3 days (you don't even have to totally detox like I did) and just stop drinking and eating this stuff. Eventually you WILL stop craving it. Your body craves what you eat most often. So if you eat good, you'll start to crave fruit.

Right now, I am desperately DESPERATELY craving fresh cherries, which has been my nightly snack for a few weeks now. A month ago, eating a cherry did not enter my mind.
    It's simple to eat healthy, you just gotta kick the shit and make an effort to not eat that "pink tube snake" above.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.