John Carter of Mars trailer - Page 3

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Well...it certainly wasn't the fault of the concept guys.[/url].
    I blame the caterers, they certainly didn't do a good job.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I saw the movie the other week and was underwhelmed. it looked good and had a great feel, it was the actors and lack of plot that killed it. I think it threw together too many of the books into one story, plus for a movie that cost THAT much, I would have hoped for a few bigger names involved. I actually quite liked their take on the aliens, but i just felt it was too short with characters but also felt unnaturally long...i wanted to bail about 30 minutes before the end!

Real shame as the original books were great and i think it could have been a great movie. and yes the title is LAME, it sounds like an oscar winning biopic starring Tom Hanks or something!

Thanks
    I worked on this for about 6 months doing some matte painting towards the end of the project. For the people who think the CGI was at fault here, take a close look. I had the opportunity to frame-by-frame through some of the shots of the Tharks, and they really were breathtakingly good. I did some comparisons with Avatar which is still kind of held as the height of CG characters, and the only real difference is design, not the quality of the CG. I think the design of the tharks was great, but would just have worked better as a feature animation rather than live-action movie.

In the end i enjoyed the movie to a point. Its a 3/5 film really. Its true that JCOM came well before Star Wars, Avatar etc but because those movies did come first this felt oddly derivative...
    The bleached desert look ended up just feeling a bit bland, which frazettas illustrations certainly never did! Also, a character that can jump half a mile thru the air will always look wrong, its just not natural...
    Its not Stanton's best film by any stretch, but I still had a fun couple of hours watching it.

2008 - 2009 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

2007 - 2008 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nickmarshallvfx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSart View Post
    Dissapointing to hear about the movie flunking so bad, i though it looked like something really promising and it got some very talented people involved.

I kinda imagined it becoming a new blockbuster saga, in the spirit of Pirates of the Caribbean.

I haven´t read the books, maybe at least will give me a little incentive to start.
    It is a real shame because Burroughs is a cornerstone in modern adventure storytelling. F*#@ing this up so badly also means we won't see any of the other books brought to life (and I'm thinking that's a good thing now). Unfortunately we also won't see any of the other Burroughs ouvre...Carson of Venus adventures (actually my favorite over Barsoom)...Tanar of Pellucidar...Tarzan at the Earth's Core...etc. So yeah, they blew it so badly that they left probably ten other blockbusters without a chance.

This is what I was hoping for:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

LAG

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Big butts and a scary tiger?

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It is a real shame because Burroughs is a cornerstone in modern adventure storytelling. F*#@ing this up so badly also means we won't see any of the other books brought to life (and I'm thinking that's a good thing now). Unfortunately we also won't see any of the other Burroughs ouvre...Carson of Venus adventures (actually my favorite over Barsoom)...Tanar of Pellucidar...Tarzan at the Earth's Core...etc. So yeah, they blew it so badly that they left probably ten other blockbusters without a chance.

I'll second that!

Minimal art went nowhere. - Sol LeWitt

DA

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LAG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I know it's off topic a bit but...I mean, if that cover didn't sell some books?! Just doesn't get much better!

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts

A shame indeed

I browsed trough a couple of nearby libraries yesterday and didn´t found any of the books, not even in the english editions sections (though i did find a song of ice and fire books in english at a superb price and got the first two) Goes to show how far below the radar this thing went, i usually see in the main shelve any book that gets adapted to a tv show or movie. even way before it premiers.

What probably killed the movie in the box office wasnt the quality or the plot, but more notably the marketing or lack off better put, it was very weak and very scarce, if they have gone for the same publicity weight Pirates of the Caribbean had they may have made POtC amount of dollars in the opening weekend.

And its sad, because not only could mean the end of John Carter´s movie saga, but can also mean that other projects Disney is uncertain about in monetary terms would get trown far to the back or be put an extra ton of pressure and less support in favor of another decade of nothing but profitable preteens singing musicals. Studios can do with bad reviews, but box office numbers weight a ton more in the decision making.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Like i said i didn´t read the books or was familiar with the story, when i first saw a billboard and i read John Carter against a black background i though it was some accountants biography picture. Would have also made sense since it was a small add on an area thats not too out there, like any low budget film, certainly not a Disney produced fantasy adventure blockbuster

"John Carter , the motion picture about the texan accountant who revolutionize the book keeping methodology in the late 50s and had a fairly uneventul average life otherwise."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I just got home from the movie and it's..really good!
    I loved the ending *0* The cg was great!
    I would totally buy this movie when it comes out in Blu-ray and re-watch it in French like I always do with every movie I really like.

It has got to be the marketing where they failed. I remember seeing the poster on the subway and going "John who?" and then looking at the alien riding the monster and going "the hell is going on here?" :V

Thanks
    To Slothboy: Ray Harryhausen had a take on John Carter of Mars? That would have been just as interesting as Bob Clampett's hand-drawn demo.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    I favorite scene must be when John Carter first saw the Dejas on the flying craft and all of sudden decide to kill all those people to save her.

"What the F? I'm on Mars, the world has gone crazy and I'm captured by weird aliens.
    OMG!!! There's a woman with big BOOOBS in the sky, I 'm gonna jump into the air and kill people and save her!!""

Well, apparently that's the most natural thing to do.

Or they holding a wedding with all those bloody corpses around them. Yep, the first thing I would do after killing all those people xD

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    we've all done it

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by continue View Post
    "What the F? I'm on Mars, the world has gone crazy and I'm captured by weird aliens.
    OMG!!! There's a woman with big BOOOBS in the sky, I 'm gonna jump into the air and kill people and save her!!""

Well, apparently that's the most natural thing to do.
    Yep...and if they wanted to be true to the story he would have done it naked and with a boner.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.