Art: Melody Waller Portfolio

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Melody Waller Portfolio

Hi everyone,

I just graduated SCAD with my MFA in animation and am looking for work as a concept artist or texture artist.

I feel like I have the skills to work in the industry, but don't know if my portfolio adequately represents those skills. I am at a crossroads about whether or not I should continue looking for an industry job or whenther I need to take another job for a year while I work on improving my portfolio. Your advice on this would be most helpful.

My portfolio website: www.melodywaller.com
    I am currently working on an environmental illustration as I know that is not represented in my portfolio at this time.

All other suggestions, comments and feedback are most welcome as well-including critiques on my website design. Thanks in advance.

A few ex. from my site:
    Melody Waller Portfolio
    Melody Waller Portfolio
    Melody Waller Portfolio
    Melody Waller Portfolio

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work looks alright. Some of the 3d studies aren't perfect though. The one with the white kettle doesn;t have any texture on it at all, its just plain white, and the ground texture is muddy. The Alice scene is also a bit blurry. But your 2d work is nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, the work itself is pretty good. I'd be tempted to say go for a texturing job; I think the competition is a little thinner there. but I'd think you'd need more then the 4 pieces you're showing then. also, the rino looks a little wierd around the paws. I think it's the lighting, showing so much outline. how many lights did you use? I wouldn't worry about some arreas turning black too much. the skin detail works though.
    as for the concept, I liked the first flight. but the others don't really blow me away. you have a good line though. I can see in the gesture drawing. the squirrels rock btw. I think in concept there not being that much on your site could be even more of a problem. also, you're being a bit bland in these. a bold statement might get more attention.
    one last point of critique; if you're using your site to apply to jobs.. it's pretty slow in loading for me. it's possible people will click away the page before seeing any of you work because they just don't take the time to wait for it. I might just have been unlocky, but I'd consider a better provider... or look onto the way your page loads. it'd be better to just have 1 (small) image right on the screen at the start to get people interested.

hope I'm not being too rough on you. I think you're very talented and have nice ideas. but it's a tough industry and you'll need all the edge you can get to get in right?

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    +oas+: yeah, i had a very limited time to complete most of the work on my site as many of them were school assignments. So they aren't as polished as they could be. Will an employer be able to see that and trust that I have the skills, or do I take another job while I polish, add to my portfolio?

ashess: Thank you very much for your critique! It's very helpful. I need honest answers like yours in order to decide my next steps.
    I can't remember how many lights I have on the rhino...maybe 2 or 3? It was done over a yr. ago.
    I'll try to look into the website loading issue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont expect employers to look past anything. They dont. The most important part is you application letter though. Make m feel you understand their company, and would fit in well.. right after that comes you portfolio thougg.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the key phrase in your response is, "school assignments." Ive only been working in the industry for a very short time now, but I can say that the veterans at my studio can absolutely tell the difference between school assignment work and personal freetime art. So my best advice to you is to start over from scratch and build up a new portfolio, or hammer the hell out of what you have and develop new artwork as well.

As for your site, I recommend not having any links leading to your friends or other artists. considering your competeing for a position, the people looking at your portfolio might see something better on a friend of yours' site and decide to move forward with them, I have seen this.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.