should i take my portfolio
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: should i take my portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

should i take my portfolio

i already got accepted to several schools so i dont think i need these anymore?
    other kids leave their old artworks/portfolio pieces at home before going to college but thats not an option for me so i either take the portfolio with me or dont and (most likely) never see them again

i hope i dont have to use them in the future because these artworks evoke really bad memories but it did grant me some scholarship so they might come in handy if i am applying to another college and needing more artwork?
    i plan to make new pieces during college (both personal and classworks), but how many drawings do students produce during college anyway? because if i abandon my current portfolio i'll have to remake at least like 20 new pieces of art if i plan to apply to a different college (which i sort of hope i do)

btw i also have computer jpeg files of these artworks so i might not have to have the actual portfolio pieces themselves but i heard of schools that demand the tangible material than the JPEG file. what's the likelihood of a school demanding a non-virtual portfolio?

if i decide to abandon my portfolio, what should i do with these lol should i give them away to relatives and friends or sell it online for $$$$ so i can regain the money that i lost from the "art tutoring" (my teacher demanded like $1500 per month)

~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    $1500 per month for "art tutoring"? Seriously? You could afford the tip top art schools for less than that. Heck, TAD is only a fraction of that if I recall correctly, and you walk out a pro when you're done.

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stragan View Post
    i plan to make new pieces during college (both personal and classworks), but how many drawings do students produce during college anyway? because if i abandon my current portfolio i'll have to remake at least like 20 new pieces of art if i plan to apply to a different college (which i sort of hope i do)...
    If your not consistently trying to make each work better than the last, you're wasting your time.
    So, if you're not making work better than what's in your portfolio right now, what are you doing?

"i'll have to remake at least like 20 new pieces of art if i plan to apply to a different college (which i sort of hope i do)..."

Do it.

"but how many drawings do students produce during college anyway?"

Like there's a set number? Most just meet the class requirements - some blow past them like they were one step in a staircase. Who do you think comes out stronger?

Last edited by Ryan K; July 13th, 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If the artworks evoke really bad memories then why take them? If you're going to an art school your going to be drawing a lot and should easily be able to remake a portfolio(though if some of your best works are in the old portfolio I would hang on to those). However the amount of drawings you produce during college is all up to you. Even if you had a full load of classes and only made one drawing (lol I hope this doesn't happen) you won't learn anything if you don't motivate yourself to practice on your own. So in short the amount of drawings you can do is limited to how much time you have and how motivated you are.

On a side note I believe most schools require a virtual copy of your work minus a few exceptions like RISD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know bro i begged my mom not to take me there because it was just WAY too expensive (and the experience was HORRIBLE there) i told my mom that i can just prepare my portfolio by myself or go with a cheaper teacher

but no my mom was like lol its $1500 that teacher MUST be good!!!! and that bitch of a teacher sucked all the cash out of my gullible mom by talking about jesus n shit (plus alot of scare tactics) so she can go live in that huge house that she has. my head hurts by the thought of it.
    as i said, i have really bad memories of my portfolio pieces
    even my monthly tuition for college is cheaper....

btw whats TAD? is it the school associated with this site? is it a real college lol i am confused ok educate me about this TAD place

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan K View Post
    If your not consistently trying to make each work better than the last, you're wasting your time.
    So, if you're not making work better than what's in your portfolio right now, what are you doing?

"i'll have to remake at least like 20 new pieces of art if i plan to apply to a different college (which i sort of hope i do)..."

Do it.

"but how many drawings do students produce during college anyway?"

Like there's a set number? Most just meet the class requirements - some blow past them like they were one step in a staircase. Who do you think comes out stronger?
    look i am not asking "should i go beyond the classroom" because I will. jesus christ I HAVE to if i want to get out of this shithole i am in right now. but i am not sure what i am capable of though. I mean i did produce over 30+ works within HALF a year so I guess I am capable, but i dont want to overestimate myself and be like "naahhhh i can make 20+ work within a year, i'll just leave the rest of my old portfolio behind" and then later be like "oh shit i shouldve brought it with me i need a few more pieces".
    i am planning to make BETTER art, that is MY art, MY expression, not something that someone sucked out of me (though i am sure college has tyrant teachers like this lol)... as i said i am gonna produce my own stuff beyond the classroom and i plan prepare all these stuff....
    what am i doing atm at my house? well i am trying to leave.

~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know bro i begged my mom not to take me there because it was just WAY too expensive (and the experience was HORRIBLE there) i told my mom that i can just prepare my portfolio by myself or go with a cheaper teacher

btw whats TAD? is it the school associated with this site? is it a real college lol i am confused ok educate me about this TAD place
    I'm a girl, not a bro

And yes, TAD is associated with this site. There are lots of scholarships available still and if you look, there is a forum section for it right beneath the contests/activities section. It is titled "THE ART DEPARMENT and CONCEPTART.ORG CREATIVE EDUCATION FORUMS" (sic) and there are links with info as well. I dunno much about it, except that the students really seem happy with it and the talent is impressive.

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcZephyer View Post
    If the artworks evoke really bad memories then why take them? If you're going to an art school your going to be drawing a lot and should easily be able to remake a portfolio(though if some of your best works are in the old portfolio I would hang on to those). However the amount of drawings you produce during college is all up to you. Even if you had a full load of classes and only made one drawing (lol I hope this doesn't happen) you won't learn anything if you don't motivate yourself to practice on your own. So in short the amount of drawings you can do is limited to how much time you have and how motivated you are.

On a side note I believe most schools require a virtual copy of your work minus a few exceptions like RISD.

i was thinking "i have to put my emotions aside and take them just in case i fail to make over 20+ pieces for next year"
    but seriously this is the perfect example of how i feel when i think about it:

ah yea the 3 visual things?

i want to take some stuff with me because i think its good, but they're just.... big. i only have two luggages, a hand to carry each, so eh. i tell myself "lol i'll just make better pieces ^_^" but then i am thinking... lol can i?

and in college, dont you have to produce like a picture per week or something to maintain a non-failing grade? i am sure i can make over 50+ if i can, but the thing is... QUALITY. i need twenty QUALITY pictures. some of the stuff i have contain quality, i think... i am not sure how pleased the teachers would be if i ask them to critique/help me on stuff that's not schoolwork

but its not like i'll just do the schoolwork and then be like "lol ok i am done" and watch TV. only doing schoolwork is like setting yourself up for fail when you compete with the other kids for future jobs

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're starting a new life. You've got jpegs. Burn 'em all.
    If you reapply to schools in a year, no way in hell should you be using any of the same portfolio. If you are, that's just proof that you wasted a year.
    but no my mom was like lol its $1500 that teacher MUST be good!!!! and that bitch of a teacher sucked all the cash out of my gullible mom by talking about jesus n shit (plus alot of scare tactics) so she can go live in that huge house that she has. my head hurts by the thought of it.
    I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate these people.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyKitten View Post
    I'm a girl, not a bro

And yes, TAD is associated with this site. There are lots of scholarships available still and if you look, there is a forum section for it right beneath the contests/activities section. It is titled "THE ART DEPARMENT and CONCEPTART.ORG CREATIVE EDUCATION FORUMS" (sic) and there are links with info as well. I dunno much about it, except that the students really seem happy with it and the talent is impressive.
    my teacher said its bullshit.
    i asked my teacher if i can get others online to feedback me when i am in college and she's like "no its useless"
    but this is the same teacher who's all into ~*conceptual*~ stuff and called my art out for being "commercial" and then told me i have shitty art without explaining why. i ask "then can you tell me how to make style less cliche and uh... commercialized?" and she's like "you're not blind, take a look at it. it just is, okay? can't you tell?"

sorry for being so cynical. i mean i am sure the people in TAD is so much better than me obviously but how do i know this is good as college
    like, why do people go to college then
    here's my other post but no one answered it: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=219

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    You're starting a new life. You've got jpegs. Burn 'em all.
    If you reapply to schools in a year, no way in hell should you be using any of the same portfolio. If you are, that's just proof that you wasted a year.

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate these people.
    btw if i had to, i would use only a few of the old stuff. just thinking of picking a few thats good and then getting the fuck out of the house for good.
    except, these artworks dont fit in my luggage and i might... have to fold them.
    but yeah i really hope i dont have to use any of my old shit because it's not *genuine* to me, do you get what i mean? and i would feel 'defiled' if i reuse them i would feel like i am admitting that i was that kid back at home who's all.... arjghsdhgfhdf. and i plan to change my working style and genre and everything anyway

i know RISD requires sent portfolios but no way am i applying to RISD hahaha my brother goes there!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your "tutor" sounds like a peach. Ditch her asap and break out of the bonds she's tied you into.

Your answer is plain in your posts. You hate them, you would feel defiled using them. They aren't you, so get rid of them and start fresh. Otherwise, they will always haunt you and you will always feel dragged down by them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol should i sell my stuff
    it would keep me fed for a few years

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    Your "tutor" sounds like a peach. Ditch her asap and break out of the bonds she's tied you into.

Your answer is plain in your posts. You hate them, you would feel defiled using them. They aren't you, so get rid of them and start fresh. Otherwise, they will always haunt you and you will always feel dragged down by them.
    yea i ditched her right after i got accepted for college. for some reason, my mom still wants to go to her even though she hates the 'tutor'. the fuck

IKR. i think trashtalking is wrong but i had to spill it ugh
    when i asked her about scholarships, she even told me that i should give up finding scholarships because i dont deserve it since i am lazy and that i have a rich dad (which is not the case), and that it's moral for me to "leave the scholarships for the other kids"

idk. i think she had a tough life and she tells ALL her students that they're all lazy turds (even the hardworking ones imo), etc.... so i cant really take it personally

and yea ok i think the best is to leave them alone
    k my question got answered, thnx guys

btw PLZ ANSWER THIS LOL: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=224563

Last edited by stragan; July 14th, 2011 at 01:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IKR. i think trashtalking is wrong but i had to spill it ugh
    when i asked her about scholarships, she even told me that i should give up finding scholarships because i dont deserve it since i am lazy and that i have a rich dad (which is not the case), and that it's moral for me to "leave the scholarships for the other kids"
    Frankly, if your family can afford a 1.5k per month tutor, you probably don't need a scholarship that badly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my teacher said its bullshit.
    i asked my teacher if i can get others online to feedback me when i am in college and she's like "no its useless"
    but this is the same teacher who's all into ~*conceptual*~ stuff and called my art out for being "commercial" and then told me i have shitty art without explaining why. i ask "then can you tell me how to make style less cliche and uh... commercialized?" and she's like "you're not blind, take a look at it. it just is, okay? can't you tell?"

sorry for being so cynical. i mean i am sure the people in TAD is so much better than me obviously but how do i know this is good as college
    like, why do people go to college then
    here's my other post but no one answered it: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=219
    1) people online have eyes, we can see your stuff as well as that "teacher", and THIS website is the one place I would actually trust for advice.

2) Anyone who's all about concept needs to also be about execution otherwise how do they actually produce their work? How are they going to communicate their conceptual message visually if they can't do any of the techniques involved in producing any kind of art?

3) If someone calls your art shit, and cannot explain why, disregard their insult. Any true artist can tell you what they feel is wrong and offer constructive advice. It may be how that artist feels you can change your work for the better, or it could be comments about your technique and how to improve it. Either way if someone says "it's shit because it just IS"... Just ignore it..

4) I can't comment on TAD, I don't know much about it.

5) 1500 a month? I could see if you went from "wut r drawring?" to "allow me to show you a beautiful reproduction of Las Meninas" done in under 2 hours", but it seems you didn't learn anything so, all I can say is ouch. How many months??

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    Frankly, if your family can afford a 1.5k per month tutor, you probably don't need a scholarship that badly.
    the thing is, WE CANT. haven't you've heard of the kind of people who always spends beyond their means, has unpaid bills, etc. aka "financially irresponsible"?
    i dont know why the hell she does these sort of things, she ALWAYS falls into traps and people who play on her fears... ugh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the thing is, WE CANT. haven't you've heard of the kind of people who always spends beyond their means, has unpaid bills, etc. aka "financially irresponsible"?
    i dont know why the hell she does these sort of things, she ALWAYS falls into traps and people who play on her fears... ugh
    There's nothing you can do about folk like that. I have a friend who's mom is just like yours, and she never changes. She falls for one gullible trap after another and never learns from it. Don't worry about it. She probably won't be changing anytime soon so there's not much reason to complain other than trying to have others soothe your qualms. Sorry that you lost so much money on a worthless 'tutor.'

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hitnrun View Post
    1) people online have eyes, we can see your stuff as well as that "teacher", and THIS website is the one place I would actually trust for advice.

2) Anyone who's all about concept needs to also be about execution otherwise how do they actually produce their work? How are they going to communicate their conceptual message visually if they can't do any of the techniques involved in producing any kind of art?

3) If someone calls your art shit, and cannot explain why, disregard their insult. Any true artist can tell you what they feel is wrong and offer constructive advice. It may be how that artist feels you can change your work for the better, or it could be comments about your technique and how to improve it. Either way if someone says "it's shit because it just IS"... Just ignore it..

4) I can't comment on TAD, I don't know much about it.

5) 1500 a month? I could see if you went from "wut r drawring?" to "allow me to show you a beautiful reproduction of Las Meninas" done in under 2 hours", but it seems you didn't learn anything so, all I can say is ouch. How many months??
    yea i'll be honest i think i learned alot more just browsing this site than i ever did with that teacher. i was just f*ckin there i swear to god. every penny of my dad's hard earned money. its just.... UGH.

around six months. the main director (shes the money-greedy one who always rambled on about jesus) even drove to my house late at night and caused a shitstorm because i told her not to make up stories about me again. crazy shit.

so yea anyway i totally feel like not taking any of the portfolio with me. i might give some to friends and then sell the rest though. i worked hard on them but its not like i'll miss them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    There's nothing you can do about folk like that. I have a friend who's mom is just like yours, and she never changes. She falls for one gullible trap after another and never learns from it. Don't worry about it. She probably won't be changing anytime soon so there's not much reason to complain other than trying to have others soothe your qualms. Sorry that you lost so much money on a worthless 'tutor.'
    yea and then when she caught me paying for my dorm housing she starts SCREAMING at me about us not having enough money, and that i cant go to college, etc etc

and then guess what? i found out that she donated thousands of dollars to this megachurch and paid $4000+ to send me and the rest of the family to a megachurch (cult) retreat for just one week. WITHOUT MY KNOWING. and with that money i could pay for housing plus all my supplies for college.

i am scared i'll have to say goodbye to my inheritance...

i know i am just bitching right now but i hope this is entertaining you guys at least. even though its not funny for me at all but ok.....

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.