Thanks

Hey fellow CA'ers I just started a webcomic! *edit Thanks for the awesome feedback <3

I started Counting Dirt formally about a week ago but I just finished coding the site a few days ago. I struggled immensely with the layout and just designing it in general. I figured it was best just to leave it where it was and fix things as I see them.

CHECK IT OUT
    Last edited by jedininjaman; August 23rd, 2011 at 01:08 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jedininjaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Regarding the latest strip, It took me a couple of takes to work it out, you are poking fun at GTAs inconsistent police AI right? Personally, I've found them -always- to be alert and super strict, I play on my buddies X-box so I don't know if that makes a difference?

The ambulance going over the old lady made me laugh as did the attitude of the cop to the various atrocities happening in front of him.

It's very niche though, which is not necessarily a bad thing of course, in my case though I found the cops to be pretty vigilant and never displaying the ignorant attitude that those ones had, so you would have to rely on other peoples experience and familiarity with GTA 4s various nuances.

The other toons definitely made me smile, especially "Fired" which really appealed to me. I think its a good start, keep those ideas fresh and accessible. I like the macabre angle.

Thanks
    I love the horse strip and the Micheal bay son strip.
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    Awesomesauce. My only crit is could you use a slightly smaller/harder brush? The linework is sometimes too heavy to see details clearly.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Choob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Any work is always better than no work! I'd have to agree with the criticism of the linework. It really is too heavy and uniform, and the lack of line variety makes all the panels wash together and completely murders the flow. The color choices and minimal shading/texture also doesn't help in that regard.

The site design isn't bad, but you could do some polishing to make it "pop" a bit more. The comic is really the most important part though, there are multiple platforms already built for webcomic publishing. Have you ever sat down with a brush/pen and a bottle of ink? I think it would be really beneficial to do some quick sketches and just practice filling them in with ink, focusing on line variety and managing white space. Then you'd have a better feel for the look you want, and CA could help you make the software do it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    The text is really hard to read. I'd recommend on a short term finding a good font to use instead of hand writing it. Then for long term, study up on typography and penmanship.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    The text is really hard to read. I'd recommend on a short term finding a good font to use instead of hand writing it. Then for long term, study up on typography and penmanship.
    I second this. The Oatmeal has a post with ten free fonts he uses, check it out here.

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    I would like to hike to the North Pole. I have a shoe and a ham sandwich. What do I do next?

Thanks
    Thanks for all of the help guys! I have taken everything here into consideration. I have cleaned up the typography a lot in the recent ones as well as minimized the fat brush in general. I feel that the most recent comic represented a breakthrough in formatting technique. I really appreciate your help here.

I also redesigned the site a bit, added a comment option and perma links. Soon I will be branching into different color schemes although I do like how monochromatic it is in general.
    -Thanks again!