Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

WhatsThatSposeToBe? Sketchbook (Watch a newb learn and grow)

Update: Currently in Community College. Artistic classes are Photoshop and Drawing I. Current semester ends midway through December. Next semester I will for sure take Drawing II but due to financial insecurity I am unsure if going full time is possible.

Sketchbook started July of 2011 before formal classes.
    Hi all,
    As you have probably would have guessed from the title of this sketchbook, I am far, far, far, far (get the picture yet?) away from being the best or even good. Just scroll down to skip all the backround info crap.

I used to sketch all through school starting at age 11 when I entered middle school when I should have been doing my school work. I was the fat chick of the school (every school needs one eyyy?)and a weirdo and I was bullied constantly so drawing became an escape from everything around me while I was stuck in it. Of course my grades were never what they used to be. I'd go home and play video game all day instead of doing any school work. The bullying got worse after my family moved when I was 14, because I had to leave home and all my friends that I grew up with behind, and just never did make new ones at school. So it was literally go to school>draw>go home>play all day>sleep>repeat.
    I dropped out as soon as I was old enough only ever having gone to highschool for a semester.

I'm 21 now, and really, really rusty because I haven't done much since dropping out. I am enrolled in my local community college now. I found school to be fantastic when you aren't getting teased non stop and earn the good grades I did back in elementary school.
    I am going to begin taking art classes there this coming semester to pick up on everything I missed not going to school. I have A LOT to learn, and the thing is- I want to be good enough to go to art school for game design and programming. I'm guessing more on the programming side if I can't improve my art enough.

I am not in school until August so what is here is just what I've been practicing on my own time. I need practice on just about anything, so methods of practicing will be helpful. Anatomy is my biggest hill to climb.

All that said, I will value all tips, because at my skill level I'm sure all the wonderful artist here have so many to give me.

Lastly, my scanner is an absolute p.o.s. so please forgive me if some images look a bit fuzzy in the future.

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Last edited by WhatsThatSposeToBe?; November 6th, 2011 at 07:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    More practicing, random stuff.
    Registered for classes today for this semester too. Starting to watch instructional videos and using instructional books.

Thanks
    Hello! Just wanderin' through sketchbooks... don't mind me...

Decent start, here!

Keep an eye on proportions, especially on the kitties. (You might swing by your nearest library and see if they have How to Draw Animals by Jack Hamm; one of my personal favorite animal drawing books, with a nice section on cats.)

-----
    - Brightdreamer
    Go find something flat, and scribble on it. People have been doing that for tens of thousands of years, and it's mostly been ok.
    - from The Daily Humorscope
    Brightdreamer's Sketchbook - Brightdreamer's Book Reviews (blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brightdreamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It looks like the only book my library district has by that author is How to Draw Scenary.
    So since the local Borders Books got closed down, I'd know- I worked there D:, I bought it off ebay just now. Only 4.23$ + free shipping. Can't beat that.
    Thanks for the advice!

Thanks
    Sketch of a baby I worked on today, was practicing perspective.

Thanks
    More practice

Thanks
    Sketch of a goblin and theres a quick sketch of my mum. Attempted while she was watching tv, she caught onto me and started moving non stop so I didn't get to work much into it.

But which one is my mum and which is the goblin is the question.

Thanks
    Here is some work I did out of the book BrightDreamer (How to Draw Animals by Jack Hamm) suggested. I did my initial read through and have now begun to put it into practice.
    One is supposed to be a greyhound but I didn't make it's legs long enough. Looks more like a weiner dog, lol.

Thanks
    Well, obviously the first one is your mom and the second is the goblin.. oh wait. Lol jk!
    I love that you are doing sketches from life. I would recommend, though, to get the gist and form of whatever you are drawing (whether dragon, goblin or mom) before attempting to go and shade it. In fact, some pure line sketching using contour to explore form, might be good, before you attempt shading.
    Also, about that book method.. I would suggest to explore proportions and marking your own way instead of exactly following the 'boxy' guide the book gives you (drawing boxes imo is kind of a waste of time, you don't need boxes, just mark where the butt, chest, paw is etc) I'm not saying you can't follow that book, sure you can, just don't follow it step by step if it goes something like 1. Draw this box here, 2. Draw a thin rectangle two boxes from the first box, 2. attach box #1 and box #2 like this.. etc. Just look at it far away, measure with your pencil, or with your eye, w/e is more comfy, but don't follow it blindly box by box.

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    OK so youve made the decision, youre in the groove. Thats the choice that will change your life. Now you need to get bang into drawing and download Photoshop, and also buy a $30 scanner. Then youre set.
    Dont worry if you go through periods of intense activity and then burn out for a while, thats normal.
    I thought school was a dick too, but your intuition is rightbeing an adult designer person is way fun for is own sake, can make you money without lifting any boxes or sweeping any floors, hot girls/guys love it by the way, and itll enrich the other aspects of your life in time too. i aslo recommend you immediately get into as many parties, festivals, bars, online events, etc that you can and really maximise your fun intake STAT, for many of the same reasons, but thats another story.. heres a quote I find helpful

[Merlyn, responsible for raising the boy who is destined to become the king of England, is an unusual teacher. Here, he tries to help young Wart/Arthur cope with frustration and sadness.]

"The best thing for being sad," replied Merlyn, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That is the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then--to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the thing for you. Look at what a lot of things there are to learn--pure science, the only purity there is. You can learn astronomy in a lifetime, natural history in three, literature in six. And then, after you have exhausted a milliard lifetimes in biology and medicine and theocriticism and geography and history and economics--why, you can start to make a cartwheel out of the appropriate wood, or spend fifty years learning to begin to learn to beat your adversary at fencing. After that you can start again on mathematics, until is it is time to learn to plough."

Merlyn, advising the young King Arthur in T. H. White's The Once and Future King, Berkeley Medallion Edition, July, 1966, page 183.
    http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/426944.T_H_White

And heres another some guy on here has as his signature

"The good artists are the crap ones that didnt give up"

These have a good vibe about them:

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "The good artists are the crap ones that didnt give up"

oooh I like this one alot. Sig! Anyway, your dedication is good man. Keep going!

Thanks
    Cloudcan- Thanks for the advice. Honestly I just like to try shading once in awhile for practice before the semester starts at the end of this month. I guess I should learn more about color theory before doing much more. I took your advice and start working more on exploring form. The book isn't a step by step hold my hand type of book for kids. Those sketches were just from the first chapter of getting the general shape of different animals. It goes more in depth to different parts of anatomy and approaches to different animals.

Velocity- I thank you for being so motivating. It is actually inpiring to go back and read your post.

Wanderer- I thank you for the encouragement

Thanks
    Sketch of a fake decorative skull my sister has. On the right is where I began to sketch it from a different angle. I already notice many things off about it after seeing it on my computer. It is a fix for another time though. It's late. D:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.