Thanks

copyright issues

Hi
    I have an opportunity to sell prints of my personal works online
    and i got few instances where i'm confused about legitimate use regarding copyrights.
    Is it legal to sell images depicting commercial fictional characters (e.g: batman) or characters used for advertisment (e.g. ronald mcdonald)?
    And what if it's supposed to be common people dressed up in costumes of those characters?
    I've heard that the US law doesn't apply copyright if the subject is being parodied but not in other countries. I don't understand how it works, american citizen can parody american stuff or can parody anything or anyone can parody american stuff and not be sued??

I'm sorry but my brain hasn't been wired for this bureaucracy BS, i'll be grateful for any thoughts on these issues.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danihel View Post
    Is it legal to sell images depicting commercial fictional characters (e.g: batman) or characters used for advertisment (e.g. ronald mcdonald)?
    Such characters are typically trademarks, and as such need a license for use. Answer: no, unless you obtain a license from the owner.

And what if it's supposed to be common people dressed up in costumes of those characters?
    Unless it is obvious from the picture itself that the character is someone else in costume (i.e. a spider dressed as Spiderman or a fat old guy dressed as Batman), no one will believe your evasion. Answer: no for most cases.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post: