Sketchbook: Kapri's sketchbook - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ManHands: thanks allot man! I really want to do some finished stuff, but I'm not finding the time for it yet between working 5 days a week and attending the academy in the weekend. I will try to work on more finished stuff in the coming months though.

ashess: thanks, I had allot of fun too. The shapes were done 1 day before we saw the tongue thing, but some of them do strangely look like it.

Art Minded: thx dude!

Here are some quick sketches. 1st one from photo ref. The others from life. Except for the last one, a (quick and dirty) master study of a drawing by Henry Yan. I recently bought his gorgeous book.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by Kapri; March 27th, 2012 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 673 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see all the body worlds stuff. Hadn't seen the legs yet, they're solid. Those sketches have a very functional approach.

Beautiful skull model. Note how it has some very smooth gradients contrasting with local highlights around the eye sockets and the nose. You lost some shape when you overdid those highlights. Because your initial sketch looks pretty accurate to me.

You handled that last study well. Those lines around the legs and thigh are very sparse but show a lot of form. Good shading on that left arm (her right) too. The shadow of that deltoid.. stuff to remember.

More sketchbook stuff from imagination! Because it's fun to look at.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks mate. Yeah, those highlights on the skull aren't quite right. Along with a dozen of other issues. But it was a helpfull study.

That last Henry Yan copy kinda feels like cheating. Especially when you see the awesome original.

I promise I'll start doing more imagination stuff soon. I'm writing a curriculum for myself (what books to read first, what studies to do, etc.) to continue my development after Wackers academy ends.

Below are the results of 2 saturday's drawing from the life model @ Wackers. 5 - 20 minute poses. Took 2 of them to photoshop.

Last edited by Kapri; April 1st, 2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your figures are extremely fluid! Especially that sketch of the MMA fighters is just perfect!
    Do you start with some kind of movement and force lines to achieve so dynamic poses?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Juho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you do have some gorgeous fluidity to your lines in here especially in figures... some of those life drawings are really beautiful. i'd love to see you do something more finished though, maybe some longer, more precise figure study or some pieces from imagination. repetition is good, but dont forget to keep expanding your study and challenging yourself! keep it going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your figuredrawing is really amazing. Nice fluid strokes and I like how you play with suggestive lines. Great work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies! I like your lines, they're very fluid and imply movement. Someone mentioned earlier about keeping your lines open and I really like the results you've achieved with that in mind. Cool idea about making yourself a curriculum, I have a bunch of books lying around too that I want to get through and a curriculum seems like a good way to be disciplined about it. (One of the books being "Framed Ink" as well, we should go through it at the same time, so we can help each other learn! hahaha just a thought.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figured I would swing by again and see how you're progressing Figures are looking great! I love how fluid they look, without sacrificing realism.

Keep on keepin' on.

"Diligence is the mother of good fortune."
    - Miguel de Cervantes

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Juho: Thanks. When I start I try to force myself to just look at the model for a minute. Figuring out the way the ribcage and pelvis are connected by the spine. Then I start by drawing long lines trying to get the bigger proportions right first. I try to take a few steps back and see my work from a distance every few minutes. Sometimes I'll exaggerate certain lines or forms to make the pose clearer to the viewer. Like Vilppu says: "analyse the figure to strengthen your drawing, don't copy it".
    Note: I catch myself skipping these steps all the time. Then I try to go back and correct myself. I also get caught up in detail way to early sometimes.
    Jessibelle: Thank you. As soon as my academy course ends (3 more weeks) I'll start focussing on more finished pieces. I'll also expand into drawing architecture, natural environments and some industrial design later on.
    Overtoom: Thx mate! As a fellow Amsterdammer: lets meet up on one of the sketchmeets?
    Browntear: Cheers! Still writing away on the curriculum. Will post it here as soon as it's done. Right now the assignments from the academy are taking up all my free time anyway. I'll let you know when I start working through "Framed ink". We could definately think of some assignments related to it.
    Art Minded: Thanks!

Here's some:
    Sketchbook stuff from photo ref;
    Feet studies (1st and 2nd from photo ref and Vilppu, 3rd from imagination);
    Life drawings that I didn't post yet. The one in red chald contains a massive anatomical error that I didn't have time to fix yet. I might update it in the future.;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapri View Post
    Overtoom: Thx mate! As a fellow Amsterdammer: lets meet up on one of the sketchmeets?
    That would be nice I don't really know anyone else who draws, so that would be a good thing to try out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are great studies. I love them. Your sketches are lively and don't seem stiff. Great job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Narrenzauber: Thx mate!

Overtoom: me, Anthis and Ashess went figure drawing again yesterday. Check out The Netherlands thread if you want to see when meetings are being organized.

Model took cool dynamic poses, but I made some pretty big mistakes. Might try to fix them in photoshop if I find the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 784 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey peter, I had fun, tnx for the invite.
    even if ther are mistakes, they are looking great though!
    you have a great stroke there.
    you might want to loosely set up the general positions, measurements and direction, then walk back about 2 meter, and fix them. keep doing that until you're happy, and only then start applying those strong lines.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess: no problem, I also had fun. Thanks. Yeah working very lightly in the beginning is wise, but I often forget. Which forces me to go waaay to heavy with lines later on.

Loot of today, figure drawing at Wackers. Done in charcoal and conté. 1st = 40 mins, 2nd = 15 mins.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took the 40 min pose sketch from last post to photoshop to practise some tonal painting. Would love some strong feedback on this!

Last edited by Kapri; April 16th, 2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey peter!
    not too sure about this one; removing the supporting arm completely puts her off balance, and the smudge-light on her hip seems almost like your covering something up you didnt like about the picuture.

the arm is a definite nono; you dont want to make her look like shes tipping over, the hip, well might just be my taste.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see what you mean, good point. I'll paint in the supporting arm and post the results.

Below - just scanned in some arm studies. Done from Vilppu, Kevin Chen and imagination while riding the train the last week.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some figure drawings from my last day at Wackers academy and more arm anatomy sketches.

I also took the speedpaint from #106 to Photoshop again and painted in her supporting arm. Still far from happy with it, but I learned from the piece and I'll let it rest now.

Haven't finished my personal curriculum yet but in the upcoming weeks I'll be focussing on drawing / painting basic geo shapes from life and perpective. After that I'll start focussing on industrial design / concepting and environments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the wackers foot is great especially. the speedpaint to psd, ye, the analogue-digital seems to clash a bit. have you tried any of the preset photoshop tools? I think there is a soft pastel that might be close enough to the real thing to put in that arm. also her arms are getting a lil too skinny now. have fun in germany& see you soon!

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess: thx, I've played around with allot of brushes recently. Especially those from Tyler James.

Some sketchbook drab. Soldiers / insects from photo ref, other figures from life @ a bar and the last one is a quick try at storyboarding while reading "The Hobbit" (Bilbo climbs up the trees in Mirkwood).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I completely forgive you if you just skip this shitload of text.

It's the curriculum I've been writing for myself. This is the first time I've ever done something like this so if anyone has some feedback don't hesitate to post it. Mainly just posting it for anyone who might be interested in comparing study material.

Ultimate goal is to obtaining the following skills:
    Draw and paint realistically from life.
    Draw and paint realistically from imagination.

Drawing / painting consists of:
    • Seeing size, angles and proportions: developed through figure drawing.
    • Seeing shapes (consisting of: tones (light and shadow) and negative space), color and how color is affected by tones: developed through painting.
    • Imagining objects in 3D space (planes and form): developed through figure drawing.
    • Drawing lines (edges (indicating the edge of an object or the edge that separates 2 planes) / cross contour): developed through figure drawing.
    • Capturing gesture (action and "gestalt" of objects and living things): developed through figure drawing.
    • Perspective: developed through figure and environment drawing.
    • Painting shapes (consisting of: tones (light and shadow), should explain form) and negative space): developed through painting.
    • Painting colors: developed through painting finalized works.
    • Composition (using contrast in placement, tones , color etc) to guide the eye: developed through drawing / painting finalized works.
    • Figure drawing (anatomy): developed through figure drawing.

Vilppu's checklist during drawing:
    • Gesture
    • Proportion in gesture
    • Verticals
    • Horizontals
    • Diagonals
    • Archs
    • Positive + negative shapes

Designing concepts for games and movies (draw and paint realistically from imagination)
    First is always: asking questions about the game / movie's universe.
    The why, what, how? Ask these questions for every item on the list below.
    Keep the gameplay and story in mind with everything you design.
    Everything that's designed should be consistent with the rest of the universe.
    It should look like it could be real in the context of that universe, but is not necessarily possible in real life. It should be grounded in reality, drawing from your vast visual library and experience with life.

Designing characters
    Designing different types of people / characters / creatures.
    Designing characters that are visually consistent with their personality / background on some level (or not, if contrast is needed in the character).
    Designing creatures by combining real life forms, thus creating something new. They are visually and functionally consistent with their environment (unless contrast is needed, for instance: a creature is stranded in a strange environment, he would have to stand out from it, while the native creatures were clearly designed to live in that environment).
    Understand and use animal anatomy.

Design the different actions and stages these characters can go through (attacking, defending, being tired, loving etc.)

Designing items these characters use. Starts with a problem: every item that is created should solve a problem for the character using it. For example: jewelry helps women attract men and show status to other women, weapons help protect or attack etc).

Designing clothing for them with different purposes (armor for fighting in different conditions, comfortable leisure wear for different conditions, resource gathering i.e. under water, in the sky or in very hot places etc.)
    Designing weapons
    Designing everyday items

Designing the different stages these items can go through
    Normal
    Broken
    Repaired / improved
    Source materials they were made from

Designing the vehicles these characters use
    Designing vehicles that fit their environment and purpose and thus solve a problem.

Possible purposes:
    Transporting lotsa people / cargo = heavy and slow
    Transporting 1 person and no cargo = light and fast
    Attacking (small fighter type light, tank type heavy or mobile command / bomb drop ship extremely heavy etc)

Designing environments
    Determining and showing the mood of a place.

Natural environments
    Designing vegetation
    What kind of creatures / characters would live here?

Environments built by characters
    City planning (who lives in what area, social status of an area and how does that affect the buildings?)
    Designing architecture (exterior)
    Designing interiors
    Designing public spaces (roads, squares, bridges, airports etc)
    Showing your environments in different weather conditions.

Designing the effects players and / or the story can have on an environment.
    Destruction (partially or completely)
    Improved (temporarily or structurally)
    Left to wither (nature takes over)

Creating simple 3D models
    Google sketchup
    3DsMax
    Creating 2D texture
    ZBrush
    Maya

3 month goal planning to obtain the skills listed above

April, May & June
    Mastering the geo forms in line and tone:
    Read “Creative perspective for artists and illustrators” by Ernest W. Watson and test his theories by drawing the basic geo forms on the Cintiq.
    Watch “How to render matte surfaces” by Scott Robertson and paint along on the Cintiq.

Understanding human anatomy in tone and line
    Watch (and draw along to) all Vilppu videos while traveling.

Juli, August & September
    First 2 weeks:
    Understanding human anatomy in tone and line
    Watch gesture vid @ Cintiq, draw 2 finished gesture drawings from photo refs (20 mins per drawing?)
    Create 2 portfolio figure pieces of 5 hours each, digitally. (use sketch from live drawing and complement with photo ref and imagination? Or just work from photo ref and imagination?)

Read “Drawing scenery” by Jack Hamm and test his theories by drawing and painting along in your sketchbook and on the Cintiq.
    Being able to draw all environments from live (final test: hike to mt Olympus, think of artistic goal for that journey).
    September: being able to concept sketch environments in line and tone (read Skillfull huntsman / Art of Mass effect and check out ohter concept art online).

October, November & December
    Prepare for CDA (visum, place to stay etc.)
    Read http://translate.google.com/translat...s-angeles-faq/ or mail “Concept design acad”

Transition to painting in color.
    Read “Color and light” by Gurney and test his theories by painting from ref (photo and life) on the Cintiq.

Watch (and draw along to) “Jason Manley - Composition” videos

Read “Framed ink” by Mateu-Mestre and “Directing the story” by Glebas and test their theories by drawing sequential art in your sketchbook and on the Cintiq.
    These should have at least 3 images per story and focus on the face and hands as expressive elements.

Re-read “Picture this” by Molly Bang and compare it’s theories to “Framed ink” and “Directing the story”.

Januari, March & April
    Read “Guide to facial expression” by Faigin and test his theories by putting a mirror next to the Cintiq and painting self portraits. Also paint portraits from other refs. Try to figure out a story behind eacht expression and write that on the portrait.
    Sign up at Wackers so you can start in September (parttime: monday, tuesday & wednesday morning).

May, June & Juli
    Create at least 3 full color “finished pieces” that combine environments and figures to tell a story.
    Last preperations California
    Concept design academy time!!!

After CDA:
    Process everything you have learned.
    Return to figure painting.

Concept art
    Read industrial design books. For instance: “The design of everyday things" en “Universal principles of design”. Apply to art directly
    Read about clothing and armor and apply directly.

Re-read “Practise and science of drawing” by Speed.
    Re-read “Drawing lessosn from the old masters” by Hale.
    Drawing animals from imagination and ref (read How to draw animals - Jack Hamm.pdf)
    Organize all notes you have taken on art theory and into the vault.
    Still struggeling with perspective? Try: http://theartdepartment.org/download...ky-perspective
    Return to figure drawing: check out Henry Yan and Bammes books. Apply their techniques to life drawing at SAKB.
    Getting better at concept art: read about existing myths and legends. Apply these stories to narrative art.

Ps: some crappy sketches to prove I've actually started working on the tasks planned for "Mastering the geo forms in line and tone" in April, May and June.

Last edited by Kapri; May 1st, 2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kapri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great life drawing examples, there's strong movements in the lines and you can see the effect different time limits have put on them, the looser, quicker ones hold as much interest to me as the more detailed studies.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to frayed-symphony For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great SB so far
    i love those life drawings. Super confident marks, with nice lineweight and slightly overexaggerated curves and angles that really bring em to life.
    Wish you all the best with your plan of action

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Jacky-Boy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    frayed-symphony: thanks. Very kind words.
    Jacky-Boy: thx mate, so far so good. Still sticking to the plan.

Some basic geo sketchs from life and hand sketches from life / photo's / drawing along Vilppu vids. Part of my "April, May & June" goal.

Last edited by Kapri; May 4th, 2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hand studies from imagination. Leg from life. Geo shapes from life. Figure from photo ref.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you are doing great, just keep practicing the figure drawing from life.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Cojac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cojac: thanks!

Painting along with Scott Robertson on his "How to render matte surfaces" DvD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I LOVE your sketchbook. Your use of line is so fluid and wonderful. And fantastic schedule you've set out, I found it useful for myself also.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Mistle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your figures are amazingly expressive and natural. Simply inspirational. Good job.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Calienté For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while since I last updated. Didn't draw anything worth posting up untill 3 days ago.

First one's from photo ref (started in pencil, finished in Photoshop).
    Second one's a copy from a drawing by Rebecca Kimmel.
    Third one's my bonsai tree from live.

Last edited by Kapri; May 27th, 2012 at 10:14 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1