Sketchbook: Kapri's sketchbook - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Kapri's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your gesture drawings are great! your grasp of anatomy seems solid. i wish my quick sketches could look like that, haha. I especially like a lot of the stuff in your 3rd post. Good job! (:

"the world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper." - w.b. yeats

sketchbook. comments/advice appreciated (:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to neonndreams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Egg0 & neonndreams: thx guys!

Here's a gesture / portrait (both from photo ref) and some perspective stuff.

Just finished Chelsea's "Perspective! for Comic Book Artists" and reading "Creative Perspective for Artists and Illustrators" by Ernest W. Watson now. I've been trying to create a perfect cube in perspective and Chelsea's floorplan method gave me the results below.

The first 2 are way to distorted. Maybe I placed the cube too far outside the cone of vision?

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm doing a poster for a musical version of Junglebook (low profile, non-profit stuff) and I need some help.

Here's a WIP, comment and crit appreciated.

The piece is supposed to show how Mowgli can't chose between the human world (the girl) and the animal world (the wolves).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First one's from my second day of classes @ Wackers academy Amsterdam. I'm taking a 7 month weekly course which takes up all of my saturday. Loving it so far doing still lives and practising perspective.

The rest are from my sketchbook and the last one is my first attempt at painting a color study a few weeks ago. Done on an iPad from live reference while riding the train.

Crits away!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice artwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boulsoup: thx mate.

Some sketches from the last few days.

Last edited by Kapri; November 9th, 2011 at 07:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to a Rubens exposition with Anthis to do some Rubens, van Dyck and Jordaens studies.

1st = original, 2nd = study, sadly I couldn't find the original of lioness online.

Bring on the crits.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work! I especially like the ones with the movements in there, the boxing ones. Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Overtoom: thx mate, I think I'll do some more fighters gestures soon.

One of the sketches I did on the Rubens trip turned out bad. I have looked up the original painting again online and tried to fix my bad sketch digitally. Still a WIP. Anyone got some pointers?

1st = original from Rubens
    2nd = bad sketch from trip
    3rd = digital sketch done on top of the scanned sketch

PS: I think Rubens made a huge perspective mistake with this guys back. We shouldn't be seeing that much of his back. Kinda like this captain America one lol: http://www.sequentialtart.com/archiv.../0700/bb_1.jpg
    I tried fixing this in my version.

PS PS: just noticed my version kinda looks pregnant, lol. Will have to fix that later on.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update:

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep on an on your proportions, you make some things too big and other things too small. Read up on Loomis' figure drawing book for a good crash course on proportion! Also, keep in mind that proportion is just the relationship between the parts. In your recent study, you made the figure too skinny, and some of the things don't line up. Try to measure angles, look at the negative space and think of the proportions before really setting anything down. http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14119
    Other than that... keep up the good work! I love the energy in your lines! Try to keep that while improving your sense of proportion and anatomy!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Not_Deadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Deadman View Post
    Keep on an on your proportions...
    Thx for the feedback man. I have read some parts of the Loomis books. Which one would you recommend regarding proportion? Also, thx for the link to that tut thread.

Some more fighter gestures done on the road. Used photo ref as a starting point but changed the poses from imagination.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 662 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Heya,
    Nice to be able to take a better look at the results of our last sketchtrip. Not Deadman mentioned the proportions and I'll add to that. As far as I know, there are many ways to measure and check proportion. I noticed you did measure up using your pencil last time, but I'm not too familiar with that technique myself. Checking the angularity of body parts can really help, especially in the initial sketch. Checking negative spaces works too. For instance the small window in between the legs of the sitting man (Rubens' St. Rochus+Melaatsen) differs in shape and size in some of the studies. Not sure if it's a good measuring device, but its nice to figure out mistakes. Comparing the 'surface area' of body parts for size differences works too.

I've noticed it's easy to lose track of proportions when you're too focused on replicating the studied image. Especially a problem if you're getting immersed in details. I usually try to prevent that by taking small breaks and quickly glance back and forth several times between the overall image of your own drawing and the original work. For instance, I too noticed the man's slightly bulging stomach in the original work. Details like these that catch the eye get blown out of proportion easily when you draw them (you mentioned pregnant). I think people tend to draw facial features (eyes, nose, etc) too big for the same reason, and it's a tricky problem. I find that keeping the 'overall shape' in check helps.

Not sure what they advocate at Wackers'. I personally think that trying many different approaches works best. Same applies to the books; checking out everything ranging from Bridgman and Loomis to Hogarth and Hamm ensures you get different views. They have their own strengths.

I like those boxers. The easygoing, organic drawings without much too much rigid construction can often end up looking most natural.

Also- more stuff from imagination!

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthis View Post
    Heya,
    Nice to be able to take a better look at the results of our last sketchtrip. Not Deadman mentioned the proportions and I'll add to that. As far as I know, there are many ways to measure and check proportion. I noticed you did measure up using your pencil last time, but I'm not too familiar with that technique myself. Checking the angularity of body parts can really help, especially in the initial sketch. Checking negative spaces works too. For instance the small window in between the legs of the sitting man (Rubens' St. Rochus+Melaatsen) differs in shape and size in some of the studies. Not sure if it's a good measuring device, but its nice to figure out mistakes. Comparing the 'surface area' of body parts for size differences works too.

I've noticed it's easy to lose track of proportions when you're too focused on replicating the studied image. Especially a problem if you're getting immersed in details. I usually try to prevent that by taking small breaks and quickly glance back and forth several times between the overall image of your own drawing and the original work. For instance, I too noticed the man's slightly bulging stomach in the original work. Details like these that catch the eye get blown out of proportion easily when you draw them (you mentioned pregnant). I think people tend to draw facial features (eyes, nose, etc) too big for the same reason, and it's a tricky problem. I find that keeping the 'overall shape' in check helps.

Not sure what they advocate at Wackers'. I personally think that trying many different approaches works best. Same applies to the books; checking out everything ranging from Bridgman and Loomis to Hogarth and Hamm ensures you get different views. They have their own strengths.

I like those boxers. The easygoing, organic drawings without much too much rigid construction can often end up looking most natural.

Also- more stuff from imagination!
    Thx for the epic feedback man! Really good stuff you pointed out. The negative shape created by the space between the mans legs is something I never even saw (while I do try to find negative shapes from time to time). But it now sticks out like a sore thumb. I will fix that as soon as I work on the sketch again.

Getting hung up on the details is something I'm trying to break out of. But I still catch myself diving in too deep too soon sometimes. I guess checking the larger proportions will take a little while before becoming something I do automatically.

At Wackers I get 7 lessons from one teacher, then 7 lessons from another etc etc. Each one has their own approach: some force you to use a knitting needle for measuring (lol), others forbid the use of any measuring device but the eye. It's a really nice school so far (even if I only go on saturdays).

I enjoyed the sketchmeet at Rubens. What do you say, do another one in januari?

For now: after reading the following quote in "Creative perspective for artists and illustrators" I realised I need to study the basic geometric shapes more and more and more and more and more...:

"We drew boxes each day of class. This went on for six weeks"

So here's my setup and some results.

Edit: process in drawing these: drawing the shape from live first. Then I take a photograph which I lay over the sketch to check for errors. After that I do a value study from live > desaturate the photo and check for errors again.

Last edited by Kapri; December 9th, 2011 at 07:13 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update: Villpu studies and a Rubens sketch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies man keep going

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aragah: thx mate.

Tonal studies, the plaster cast study isn't really finished yet. It'll stay that way for now.

Last edited by Kapri; December 11th, 2011 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did more geo shape sketches that I won't bore ya'all with. Here are some still life studies done at the academy and a lion attack gesture from photo ref.

Last one was a "I can haz foodz?" kinda situation.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thumbnail sketches from imagination. Wanted to create some mages. Will try to do some warriors and creatures too.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont know if you know this but the human figure by John H. Vanderpoel and bridgman should help you with anatomy and like they said take life drawing classes that will help you a lot oh and get life drawing in charcoal by douglas graves I got a lot of good info about value and mass

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AdrianNagorski: thx mate!
    Udonhead: I've only read Bridgman's "Constructive Anatomy". See page 1 for some Bridgman studies. Also took life drawing classes last year (some results also on page 1). Block 3 of the art class I´m taking will feature life drawing from the model. Never read Vanderpoel but thx for the tip mate.

More quick sketches from imagination. 2nd image, top left figure has some massive errors (torso is turned way too far) that I've tried to work out on page to it's right. Will do some more studies of the same pose today. Maybe I'll use some photo ref.

Last edited by Kapri; December 22nd, 2011 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More digital stuff from imagination and the figure with long coat is a study off an Ashley Wood piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tree sketch from live. Mechs and thumbs for a new piece from imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Girls, landscape thumbs and my leg.

Thumbs inspired by Skyrim landscapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dragons... roar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff so far- your doing absolutely everything right to keep getting better kudos for that! You've got a good grasp on volumes and a really good sense of movement.
    I really like the little mage sketches in post 49.
    & the stillife in 34 is awesome -when I was in school my teacher always set up boots and bags and stuff- a castle made of junk & blocks is way cooler.
    Keep on keeping on and you'll be a rockstar for sure

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too amazing for words, but I would like some more imaginative drawings from you.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to FightingSeraph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rhubix: thx for the reply! Haha, it just so happens I drew a quick sketch boot last sunday.

The still lives were great practise since the teacher could really point out where the mistakes were.

FightingSeraph: thx man!

Last edited by Kapri; January 24th, 2012 at 04:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moaaaar dragons... and girls...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9