Art: I baked it but whats the best way to add clay?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I baked it but whats the best way to add clay?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I baked it but whats the best way to add clay?

I added clay in a crack that appeared with softener and use my heat gun to cure it is that okay to do?

And ive hear vasoline to add clay to a baked sculpt but what is that doing to bond it?confused?

Where can i get white spirit , i keep hearing it works best but can i use softener and add clay instead?
    Thanks for all the help here, you guys are my go to artist!!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    with the vasoline if you just get a little on your finger and wipe it were you want to add more sculpy then lightly wipe it off .... i dont know why this works but it does. were are you based? white spirit is a material best known in the uk (they have the same stuff in other countrys but its probably called differant things. lighter fluid can also be used to smooth stuff out. now im going to say something that isnt a very popular thing but i dont use any spirits or anything to smooth surfaces, most methods that use some kind of liquid to smooth a surface tends to strip the oils out of the sculpy which can cause problems later especialy when you primer it and mould it. (i know a lot of people will say they never had any problem but i have been doing this a long time and it happens from time to time) a good method is to freez your sculpy the condensaition that forms when you take it out lubricatets the sculpting tool so makes it easyer to get your surface very very smooth. or if you part bake your sculpt you can scrape the surface smooth with a scalpel. end of the day its what workes for you and often every one has something helpfull to say. good luck with your sculpt. theres also a good tutorial by the masters of mesmariseing sculpture the shifflett bros on how to patch cracks in your sculpt ..well worth a look

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sloopster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im in the USA florida.Is it available in the home depot?

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    White spirit = mineral spirits in the US. And yes, you can get it at any hardware store, Home Depot, etc.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome thanks for all the info.

Do you guys like to bake the sculpt and then add detail after or is it best to finish then bake?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on the project....there is no right or wrong, just more choices

Mah ' Crub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mah ' Crub For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you also call low oder white spirit = naptha.
    one of the bigest advantages to sculpy is that you can build it up in layers and adding detail like clothes and hair etc but yeah its just your choice realy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sloopster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zuckuss77 View Post

I added clay in a crack that appeared with softener and use my heat gun to cure it is that okay to do?

And ive hear vasoline to add clay to a baked sculpt but what is that doing to bond it?confused?

Where can i get white spirit , i keep hearing it works best but can i use softener and add clay instead?
    Thanks for all the help here, you guys are my go to artist!!!!
    That thing is cool! I use the heat gun all the time. I use it to "set" something I am happy with so I don't screw it up til it's bake time. Vaseline works, but what I do is roll some unbaked clay over the area you are trying to attach to, and it takes off the oil that is keeping it from sticking. works every time. As for smoothing, I use acetone on my baked peices. You can get it at auto parts store for around 6 bucks a quart. it will eat in quick tho, so use sparingly.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to philofmars For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can bake sculpey over and over, and as along as you don't go over the recommended temperature you can keep adding to a sculpture and baking it. A lot of people bake it at a lower temperature, like 200-220 degrees F (I think it says 250 on the box)

Vaseline works great for attaching new clay to baked clay, the trick is to apply very little--put just a bit on and wipe most of it off, you just want a very thin film otherwise it'll be gooey and the new clay will slide around. I'm not sure either why or how it works, it reacts chemically in some way with the sculpey.

As for softening or smoothing sculpey, there's a lot of different things you can use. Stronger stuff like naptha/lighter fluid/acetone is good for initial smoothing of heavy tool marks, bumps, fingerprints, etc, but one you get into fine detail it's best to switch to something like 70% alcohol, it doesn't dissolve the clay as much and just softens the edges of lines and details.

There's probably as many different ways of working with sculpey as there are people using it, it all comes down to what works best for you.

Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SavageGoldfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for that SavageGoldfish,its all been great info and it seems that scupely is plain awesome with all these things you can do.I am going to use all this info and really gain some better learning through all this.Thanks everyone!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.