Sketchbook: Robodrey's steamy sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Robodrey's steamy sketchbook

It's about time I made one of these, all the cool kids already had one back in 2005.

I'm here looking for improvement. And fun. And to meet great people. And to try and leech of their knowledge and wisdom. Yes that's right, I'm talking about you, thread viewer. Gimme a hand at improving and I'll do what I can to help back.

---

Kay so here's some recent stuff, some life drawing + gestures starting about the end of May up to this week. The models are in chronological order, I think. The clamp-lamp study took about two hours earlier today, and the other digital painting must've taken a little less than 2 hours, that one was just for fun. Fun meaning boobs.

Sorry about the poor quality of the life drawing pages, I tried to clean them up in ps, but I'll try to get a better lighting next time.

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Last edited by Robodrey; July 12th, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Robodrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is the clamp lamp a painting !?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to khalidmnet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im loving the Life drawing of he Lamp attachment. theres no much to say keep the figure drawings coming

An Artist strives for Perfection, but never truly wants to find it, Creativity is Controlled Mistakes

"Carl Anthony Springer"

"those who ask a stupid question is stupid for a second. but those you do not ask the question is stupid for ever!"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlSpringer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really like the second marker sketch!
    yeaah.. keep them coming

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, thanks for passing by and taking the time to comment!

@khalidmnet: Yes, done in photoshop

@CarlSpringer: Thanks, I was pretty happy with it too! I usually go to life drawing on Wednesday nights so I should have a little more later this week.

@lys: Thanks! That one was fun. Even after many months I'm still not sure what works best for me, so once in a while I try things like that. I'm looking for something not messy and easy to use to apply value to a drawing, since I'm always short on time to work on that. (The longest poses last 30 minutes and I'm a major slowpoke.) I never found markers I really liked

------------

Cartman you fat little bastard. You fooled me, with your round shapes and flat colors, I thought you'd be a piece of cake to paint.

And so what was meant to be a short practice had me struggling for nearly four hours last night to paint this thing in photoshop. (It's a plastic toy I got from my sister that says silly punchlines when you press the button on his back.)

In a nutshell: I struggled, it still looks off, I don't know why.

...Or maybe it means I need to paint more plastic Cartmans. Herp derp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    south park awesome

question: is digital painting your first move to colour or have you been traditional painting to

An Artist strives for Perfection, but never truly wants to find it, Creativity is Controlled Mistakes

"Carl Anthony Springer"

"those who ask a stupid question is stupid for a second. but those you do not ask the question is stupid for ever!"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlSpringer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Carl. Yeah I'm more at ease with digital painting, and I work faster. With real paint it takes me forever with very little result, though I'd like to work on that eventually.

---

Here's some figure drawing from last night and a hand (mine) I did before starting. I'll need to work on hands more, I neglect them all the time during life drawing.

SKETCHBOOK! IT'S FULL OF HOT RUSSIAN GIRLS WHO WANT TO MEET YOU AND WEIGHT LOSS/TEETH WHITENING SECRETS DISCOVERED BY A NEBRASKA MOM WITH NO ARMS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny u said tht as im practising hands at the moment in my sketchbook

"Carl Anthony Springer"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlSpringer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your use of color is inspiring. i wish my work came alive that much and your gestural drawings are minty mint! Keep it up

17. The Following User Says Thank You to James Thomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the rendering on the life drawing pages, the one thats on row three, 2nd from the left is awesome. How did you do that? watercolours or something?

The pencils are great too, the directional shading really brings out the planes on the figure I think, though perhaps more subtlety would be in order, like I can see you've put a lot more time in softly shading the face/hair and gone quite rough on the rest of the body.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @CarlSpringer : Haha yeah saw that It's a difficult thing to draw.

@A Faux : Aw thank you, that's a nice thing to say. I alway feel like I'm struggling with color though! Everything feels so much easier in grayscale.

@Little-Maiden : Hey, thanks for the feedback! I used gray watercolor markers for that one (they have a soft rubbery tip). I had them laying around so I brought them to life drawing a couple of time... which kind of destroyed them.

And thanks for pointing that out, I know I have a really hard time finishing my drawings within the allowed time so towards the end I rush things. I guess I'm a bit slow, but I'm not sure how to help that if not to keep doing more. I'll try to work on that when I go back next week, thanks again!

---

A few more hands from last night.

SKETCHBOOK! IT'S FULL OF HOT RUSSIAN GIRLS WHO WANT TO MEET YOU AND WEIGHT LOSS/TEETH WHITENING SECRETS DISCOVERED BY A NEBRASKA MOM WITH NO ARMS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hands! Yey! I really enjoy wokring on such things, they have sooo much to give!! You can do a lot with hands, you can train your observation skills, as well as some construction, movement, details, etc.
    From the ones you just posted I could say they are ok, but still there is something not convincing about them; they do not feel quite alive at all. Try to draw them not just copying its contour, but feeling how the flesh and bone conforms an entire mass. Hmm, don't know if I make my point there, is somewhat weird, the thing is that you try to show in the drawing not just how the hand looks but how the hand feels, that is, where is the pressure, were is it heavy, etc. Try to exaggerate those things and your hands, as well as all your figure drawings will come to life in no time!!

Nada importa morir, pero no vivir es horrible.
    ----

I have a S.KETCH.BOOK.!!

and a blog (with animation stuff): http://animatedskycat.blogspot.mx/

and a tumblr (with random stuff): http://arturoarias.tumblr.com/

22. The Following User Says Thank You to GatoDelCielo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for dropping by!

Um yeah I use references. I'm not so pro to do gestures from memory yet! However I do both, some from life and most from sites like posemaniacs and lovecastle. Though most of the digital gestures I do are photo-refed.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep them hands coming im liking the cross hatching, but with the thumb i think it needs to be bigger at the knuckle joint

"Carl Anthony Springer"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

26. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlSpringer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @DARKTHUR : Woah thank you for the great feedback, I'm not gonna lie, I re-read this more than a few times yesterday and while I feel like I'm dealing with something beyond my current level of comprehension, I'll be keeping this comment in mind whenever I draw. And so that's what I did yesterday and today and man, this is so hard, heh I'll also work on my construction and anatomy, and hopefully one day I'll get a closer to what you mean.

@Little-Maiden : You're welcome, I'll be checking out your SB for more updates

@CarlSpringer : Haha they're coming for sure, seems like I made hands my current focus. I'll watch out for that, thanks!

---

Some quick marker sketches from observation from the teeny-weeny sketchbook and more hands from last night.

Edit: Tried to fix the last hand's wrist... it was really bothering me.

Last edited by Robodrey; July 17th, 2011 at 01:18 PM.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robodrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn you draw ten times better in Marker which is weird as i struggle to even put a mark down, the still life are ROCKING especially the tree trunk and the bottle.

the new set of hands are looking much better, values are being pushed more which is good.
    i would advise since you are drawing in marker to keep them coming, coz i no from personal experience i tend to look more at the reference and study it more because i no i cant rub out the mark,

and by the way what book are you drawing the hands from

"Carl Anthony Springer"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

30. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlSpringer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow good skill!
    Can't wait to see some personal sketches (w/out ref) :3 !

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Saurabhinator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @CarlSpringer : Haha thanks, I struggle too, there are a few really messed up pages I didn't put up because they were just ridiculously awful I'm not drawing the hands from a book, i'm just using my left hand as reference.

@Saurabhinator : Thanks! Hopefully I'll get some personnal art done soon, it's been a long while since I've really worked on a full piece...

---

Some marker warm-ups and drawings from observation, and a couple of scrap doodle pages.

Weekend, why do you pass by so fast.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Robodrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im liking the women showing cleavage not coz shes showing cleavage but coz i can see the form in the picture i would say with that one push your value contrast and more darker areas where its mean to be

"Carl Anthony Springer"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

36. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlSpringer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,606 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice work! some of the figure work has odd proportions, but nice forms! also, really love those loose marker sketches!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

38. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @CarlSpringer : Haha nothing wrong with loving a little cleavage Yeah I don't think I'm using the best tool to push values though... col-erase pencils are pretty soft, but I like them since they don't rub off as easily as graphite. Wish I could find a perfect in-between

@NickyBeats : Thank you for pointing that out. It's one of the many things I still struggle with. I'll probably start more serious anatomy studies soon... that's gonna help.

---

Thingy of the night: landscape study from a photo. I stopped at some point cause I was just gonna keep going forever, haha. I'm a bit dissapointed with this one, I didn't really catch the sense of scale of the original photo. Need to work more on my environments.

Last edited by Robodrey; July 18th, 2011 at 11:01 PM.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robodrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the hills are great awesome even the lighting im loving has a warm feeling to it but what i would say about the background is its a bit to saturated Like google pictures of trees and if u look properly youll notice that the tree further away has less colour(desaturated) than the closest tree,

this is caused by the light taken further to travel to the tree further away so colour is lost (i think)

and the atmosphere around e.g the air or CO2 and pollution.

but i seen you kinda grasped that concept with the less saturated hill in the background. i would say your painting skills are good just brush up on a bit of knowledge

heres what i read up on http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754329...01-colour.html

its a PDF file scroll down to the bottom to download it

"Carl Anthony Springer"

MY SKETCHBOOK!!

Kamikazuh Sketchbook

T i m

42. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlSpringer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've some very nice pieces in here, the girl in graphite is my favourite so far, looking forward to future updates *subscribed*

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Invalid User For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,606 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice! love that last one!

btw, thanks for the very kind words in my book!! meant alot

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

46. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dig your marker pieces! They have such..solidity? Not quite the word I'm reaching for, but I think you understand

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyrion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys thanks a lot for the kind replies and feeback! It means a lot and motivates me to keep going. I'll go through everyone's updates tomorrow after work, I'll have more time to reply properly and I won't be tired as hell.

@CarlSpringer : Thanks for the link! I have so much to learn about color theory, ouch.

@Invalid User : Thank you! Wait... you can subsribe to threads?! My gosh that would make keeping track of everything so much easier.

@NickyBeats : Thank you. I meant every word.

@cannibalcarnivale : Aw thanks, that means a lot. I'm trying to be more confident with my lines, so I think quick marker drawings are good exercices.

---

A few pages of quick posemaniacs gestures from late last night (I just discovered the timed gestures options oh shit it's amazing), a few more from today during lunchbreak at work and some life drawing from tonight... the guy looked like a tiny version of Boromir and Jesus mixed together. Not very happy with tonight's work. Tried to work on my rendering and proportions but uh... yeah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice gestures, would you recommend doing them digitally or do you find paper & pencil/marker to be more...fluid?

Regarding the last few great stuff, although the 2nd and 3rd seem to flatten out slightly when you get to the section between the chest and the pelvis (my ability to name anatomy is awful- so yeah whatever that is called).

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a little while since I uploaded anything. Here's most of what I did for the past week (not much): a few less than successful posemaniacs gestures and a few objects drawn from life. To help with my feeble grasp on anatomy I also got a couple of books out, reading intensively, taking notes and reproducing the book's examples in hopes that somehow it'll burn this knowledge in my brain forever. I'm still on the torso though. I'm not totally sure which is the best way to proceed but this can't be a bad thing right? I've been doodling and scribbling around too, but that stuff isn't worth much. Still added one (yeah guess what movie just came out)

Aaand I went to life drawing tonight. I'll upload that stuff tomorrow cause it's kind of a pain in the ass to upload a lot of pics in one batch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life drawing from last night. So-so. I tried to work on proportions a bit, not sure how well that worked.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I literally drooled as I scrolled down this sketchbook. I especially love your pencil works! keep it up because you are on my stalkage list!

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

55. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudcan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.