Celestial Kings
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Celestial Kings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Celestial Kings

Hi, all!

I painted this picture in oil on canvas. I had it photographed, then I tweaked it in PSE. If some of you could spare the time, I'd love to know your opinions on it. Thanks!

(I have since revised this piece and am now deleting its previous versions).

Last edited by Toonicorn; August 30th, 2011 at 11:25 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! You're renderings are good. The concept is OK. The yin-yang symbolism could be better. The moon is out of position which means the snow bank will need to be lower. That would help regardless. The flow of the mane could be adjusted to flow like the yin-yang symbol more. The shadow of the ground at sunset is a dead area, not sure how to fix that .Maybe some of the lion's body could fade into it giving him some shoulders to hold his head. I would play with a vertical picture plane and see if moving the copy to the top or splitting it up would help. Try some variation of your lay out see how things change.
    Mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mburrell View Post
    Hey! You're renderings are good. The concept is OK. The yin-yang symbolism could be better. The moon is out of position which means the snow bank will need to be lower. That would help regardless. The flow of the mane could be adjusted to flow like the yin-yang symbol more. The shadow of the ground at sunset is a dead area, not sure how to fix that .Maybe some of the lion's body could fade into it giving him some shoulders to hold his head. I would play with a vertical picture plane and see if moving the copy to the top or splitting it up would help. Try some variation of your lay out see how things change.
    Mike
    Thanks for the advice! I think I can adjust the snowbank to be lower and flatter. The dead area you mentioned...maybe I can add a gradient there to soften it and make it look less flat. Maybe I could also make the moon smaller and add a faint glow around it. Might be worth a try...

Last edited by Toonicorn; July 11th, 2011 at 01:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something's bugging me about the wolf... the nose in particular. You might double-check refs on that - it looks a bit... cartoony? Bulby? Not sure the right word, but my eye keeps going there and telling me something's off. (It's the end of the muzzle and the nose itself - something about the way it almost overhangs or droops.) The markings also make me think "husky" before "wolf." Compare husky and wolf refs, maybe, and see if you can lean it toward the wolf end of the spectrum.

JMHO...

-----
    - Brightdreamer
    Go find something flat, and scribble on it. People have been doing that for tens of thousands of years, and it's mostly been ok.
    - from The Daily Humorscope
    Brightdreamer's Sketchbook - Brightdreamer's Book Reviews (blog)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightdreamer View Post
    Something's bugging me about the wolf... the nose in particular. You might double-check refs on that - it looks a bit... cartoony? Bulby? Not sure the right word, but my eye keeps going there and telling me something's off. (It's the end of the muzzle and the nose itself - something about the way it almost overhangs or droops.) The markings also make me think "husky" before "wolf." Compare husky and wolf refs, maybe, and see if you can lean it toward the wolf end of the spectrum.

JMHO...
    LOL, you know, the nose of the wolf has been bugging me too...I think I can fix that. As to the markings, the ref pictures I took of a particular wolf at a wolf sanctuary show him having those exact markings, except I darkened them a bit and made them bluer, because of the night setting. I wonder...could he have been a dog/wolf hybrid? The sanctuary had some of those, but HE wasn't labeled as such. Hmm....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again all!

Here is another revision of my illustration:

I made use of PSE's Gaussian Blur for the moon and sun, added some star sparkle and lens flare to the cosmic circle, made some changes to the snowscape and background animals, and changed the fonts for the title.

Thanks again for your critiques. They were very helpful!

Last edited by Toonicorn; August 31st, 2011 at 12:39 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.