Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

What do you like about Web Comics?

So I'm starting development on a new web comic project and I'm really curious about what the audience out there looks like. I know what I get out of web comics but what about you guys?

What do you like? What do you not like? What do you read? What do you want to see more of in general? I have no idea how this is going to effect the project I'm working on but I'd love to know what everyone has to say.

By the way, check out the project I've been working on at http://boxedlynch.com/journal

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Once every 6 or 7 months I binge on a few webcomics.

Off the top of my head the only one I can say I care about is Nedroid. There are many other comics I've read and liked, of course, but I'm just being quick here and as the first sentence explains I haven't actually read any in quite a while.

Thanks
    I'm one of those people who read all sorts of genres. What keeps me coming back is the manner of storytelling. Good art is awesome of course, but I'd read a webcomic starring stick figures if the story is well laid out. A few favorites: The Abominable Charles Christopher, Johnnywander, Toilet Genie and Lackadaisy.

One thing that turns me off though, is when webcomic authors/artists start posting all these excuses when updates are late. Once or twice sounds fine but then some authors develop this habit and it gets a bit annoying. Frankly I don't care if updates are a week late, even months. If it's good I'll keep reading it whenever it comes back up (for example, Sintitulo, the perfect example for excellent storytelling using fixed comic panels). Maybe it sounds a bit bratty on my part, and I might be putting myself in hot water here. I honestly understand how much work it takes to create a comic and I appreciate the fact that webcomics are free, but then having to read the same posts over and over apologizing about the late updates because of such and such sounds to me a bit... unprofessional, I think. I find that I have a better reaction to an author who announces beforehand that updates will be late (or makes no mention of it even) rather than to one actually emphasizing the lateness by saying so much about it. I dunno, maybe that's just me. I hope I didn't offend the webcomic authors here.

Anyway, tldr, bottomline: good story and storytelling, and keeping updates on time. Good luck on your project

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Well honestly my tastes are so arbitrary that it's impossible to say what I "look for". If it sounds or looks interesting, I'll give it a shot. And if it doesn't (no matter if people say it's good) I wont. Though I have to say that thus far I haven't really found that many good (as in "good in a way that I'd like it") or interesting webcomics. Which might have something to do with that I never really get interested enough to come back and check the updates regularly. Or at all.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I like any webcomic that isn't "Ctrl+Alt+Del"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    I like any webcomic that isn't "Ctrl+Alt+Del"
    I still can't place my finger on why it gets a bad rap. But then again I've barely even bothered with it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cannibalcarnivale View Post
    I still can't place my finger on why it gets a bad rap. But then again I've barely even bothered with it.
    Well, you can give this a look:
    http://webcomicoverlook.com/2010/08/...altdel-part-1/
    http://webcomicoverlook.com/2010/08/...altdel-part-2/
    That way you don't have to actually read the strips.
    Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    I only follow one comic, oglaf.com and I like it because the writers are simultaneous very clever and very sexual (ymmv). It turns fantasy on its' head in a interesting way and I enjoy that. Hilarious characters and good art too.

I'm not much of webcomic person, but I'll try anything once. I've just never really found many that I can stick with long term.
    Last edited by Reutte; July 11th, 2011 at 04:23 AM.
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well, you can give this a look:
    http://webcomicoverlook.com/2010/08/...altdel-part-1/
    http://webcomicoverlook.com/2010/08/...altdel-part-2/
    That way you don't have to actually read the strips.
    thank you for saving me from that. Sheesh. I can see why "1.0" would be popular, but it just seems to degenerate after that and those expression. Oh my god those expressions.
    :v all day.

And to answer OP's question, I personally am a reader of MSPA. although I'm seeing a lot of fans that have just turned away because suddenly, it got really boring once everybody "died". I'd recommend you be consistent in your pacing, which seems to be a problem for some. And update regularly.

Thanks
    Actually OP, I suggest you to read this thread, where people list their favorite webcomics: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210987 as well as this where people also talk about some webcomic related things (even if the actual question might not be related to you): http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222956
    Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    As a rule, stay far away from "Gamer/Pop Culture" humour, and be especially wary of self identifying as a "real gamer". There is nothing more irritating than the emergence of the gaming community as self-obsessed assholes.
    CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mordus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your input.

Flashback- hilarious video.

Mordus- I love penny arcade and I would credit them with getting me back into cartooning after a long hiatus but that strip represents exactly what I don't want to do.

Tiny Bird- Thanks for the links, I'll look into them later when I have the time.

Reutte- I love oglaf as well, the comic timing and art are fantastic.

Kahel- I know exactly what you mean about authors apologizing about late posts. A big offender of that, I think is Ramon Perez and Kukuburi which is a fantastic comic and he's a busy man, so I get why we haven't seen anything in a long time but I don't really need to hear about it.

Psychotime- I have strips I check on a weekly basis and then there are a couple that I won't read for months at a time and then just 'binge' on (as you put it) Nedroid happens to be one of those. I'm not entirely sure why though. I guess I don't know what keeps me interested on a weekly basis as opposed to a periodic basis. Thats one of the things I'm sort of trying to figure out.

In general I think I'm going to try and work on this the way a comic strip artist working for a newspaper does and have months of material built up before I even make my first post.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    I like the same things that I'd like in print comics -- great art and awesome writing.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts

Thanks
    I like webcomics that don'y miss the updates they set for themselves.

Thanks
    I like the fact that some of them are amateurish but still suck you in. It's like watching the writer/artist grow.

Kidd Radd and 1/0 are like the first two that sucked me in.

I think Banished is updating again, and right now I really like Uncreation.

uncreation.comicdish.com/

http://banishedonline.com/
    twitter.com/JohnnyKaneGrass
    tumblr.com/JohnnyKaneGrass

Thanks
    I don't read webcomics as much as I used to, but when I did, I liked to read webcomics in one go, rather than wait for updates. When I got to the latest strip on one, I moved onto a different one, so I didn't mind so much about missing updates.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    http://theoatmeal.com/

This guy is right up my alley in humor. He always nails the things in life that annoy me.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    http://theoatmeal.com/

This guy is right up my alley in humor. He always nails the things in life that annoy me.
    That is one of my favourite web comics. The office cats comics on there are brilliant. We have one of the comics as a poster in our office too.

Thanks
    I'll tell you what I don't absolutely like and what would make me stop reading a webcomic and start telling people why when they mention it: any sexist/homophobe/racist joke/storyline endorsed by the author.
    If it's a character who has that kind of mentality it's absolutely okay, just like it's okay if a character is a killer or generally an asshole.
    But, for example, rape jokes thrown in there that the authors won't apologize for (see: Penny Arcade: yeah, I used to love it too), are something that will make me stop supporting a webcomic at once.

Thanks
    Point well taken ariel9. I for one, am probably on the other side of the fence when it comes to the dickwolf 'controversy' but I think the thing to be taken away from that whole debacle is know your audience and the effect you may have on them.

Thanks
    i like webcomics because they're free lol
    ~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel9 View Post
    But, for example, rape jokes thrown in there that the authors won't apologize for (see: Penny Arcade: yeah, I used to love it too), are something that will make me stop supporting a webcomic at once.
    The joke wasn't that bad and it didn't require an apology. The whole point of it was that rape is bad and games are set up poorly with regard to morality. The problem was that their fans include a drooling horde of morons who should probably have to pass a test before being allowed to socialize, and the t-shirt thing at PAX was them giving their blessing to the drooling horde.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

28. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I still think they could've apologized for the way if came across at least, and not for the joke itself.
    They clearly didn't intend to hurt anyone, but since they did, it couldn't be so bad to say 'sorry for hurting your feelings', right?
    That's my personal opinion though, it's how I handle any communications I make: if it's not effective (that is, if people don't react to it as I meant them to), it has to be at least partially my fault since I was the one trying to communicate something.

I agree with you about what the problem REALLY was though . Even with no apology, if they just let it die quietly without reacting in such a gross, childish way shielding themselves with the gross, childish fans, they would've come out of it okay.

/Sorry for the Off Topic.

IT: Something I look for, even in silly webcomics, is recurring characters. Oglaf is a great example that has already been mentioned. The Oatmeal is the only webcomic I read that doesn't fit the profile.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    I like trains.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Partisan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I think most webcomics are missing out on a prime opprtunity for artistic liberty. Traditional print comics are constrained by the page format.
    Here's an example of what I like about Webcomics or at least the potential. I really wish there were more like it.
    http://killer.submarinechannel.com/

Thanks
    I really enjoy "El Coro's" Transient Man, overall webcomics are awesome.. everythings going digital.. book stores going out of business, etc I just think its more practical and convenient. People can get what they want and when they want it ASAP. The only downside is that we were the last generation to have books. Off to the super digital age!
    Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Odayga View Post
    I really enjoy "El Coro's" Transient Man, overall webcomics are awesome.. everythings going digital.. book stores going out of business, etc I just think its more practical and convenient. People can get what they want and when they want it ASAP. The only downside is that we were the last generation to have books. Off to the super digital age!
    That's really depressing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Odayga View Post
    The only downside is that we were the last generation to have books. Off to the super digital age!
    Its up to us ...and I really think that most people that are like us will prefer something they can touch, browse trough and take a close look at all the time ^^

actually I am awaiting my copy of The Horus Heresy: Collected Visions: Iconic images of the Imperium, betrayal and war today *gets super nervous*

And I think people will still like to have that in the future, not as many as today I give you that but it will not disappear.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Partisan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast