Sketchbook: Sha's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Sha's Sketchbook

Good day to you fellow artists!
    I'm an humble student trying to get better at drawing stuff!
    I'm new to the CA forums and as I'm trying to learn digital painting (and all the skills that are required to be good at it) I though that I'll post some of my stuff to get advices from the community.

Here are some doodles to introduce myself:

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Shapter; September 12th, 2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Wrong image links
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    And finally some personal/training paintings, none of them are finished because i'm stuck at some part or another.
    This is where I need advices

I'm often stuck when I try to add more detail and refining the edges.
    I'm always doing too blurry or too sharp!
    I watch and read a lot of tutorials but I still can't get the right technique...

Thanks
    Some advancement on the african Nollywod actor picture (based on a photo by Pieter Hugo) and a nose study.

Anyone there?!

Thanks
    Welcome to CA, Sha!
    Cool sketches. How do you come to such a crazy ideas? I like the "peace" dude in the desert, would like to see that more finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shapter View Post
    I'm often stuck when I try to add more detail and refining the edges.
    I'm always doing too blurry or too sharp!
    I watch and read a lot of tutorials but I still can't get the right technique...
    I'm just a beginner myself, but during all the time I've spent here, I have understood that drawing a lot of still lifes will help to get better with digital painting technique an also improve your colors. Checkout these links, they helped me a lot, when I took first steps in photoshop:
    - Killing lesson
    - Digital painting in PS
    - Digital painting in PS 2
    When i tried my 1st still life [apple], it looked terrible and took me all day to draw it, was depressed and almost quit all hopes to draw digitally, but then i drew a couple more and already saw an improvement. I really suggest you to try at least couple of still lifes and you will learn a lots from it.
    See ya!

Thanks
    Hey Vanaga!
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

The "peace dude in the desert" improved a bit but for some reason my posts dont seem to pass the moderating part... That's weird because they have nothing shocking or sedicious.
    Maybe is it the "10 first posts thingy that's going on in the CA forums.
    I'll check with a moderator: I have much more to show to CA eyes!

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and the links. It's going to be useful as I am taking a break from "active" just to get better at this ^^

Thanks

Eye study

I don't know if this is the right thing to do but i'm developping an obsession about doing realistic stuff. I think it's because I see a lot of great painters around here and it's seems that most of them have completely absorbed anatomy rules in their mind.

Anyway, here's a WIP eye study following a tutorial in "Digital painting techniques", a really great book from 3d Total.

Thanks
    Done with the eye!
    I'm eager and scared to begin a portrait at the same time...
    Realistic painting takes a HUGE amout of time!

I just may try to do some environment or some semi realistic characters next time. Something that has a more painterly feel in it.

Thanks
    Hey there! Pretty eyes you drew! Check out some coloured photos, paintings from different professional and master artists, etc., so you can get an idea of colours to use to bring out the skin's colour. Right now it's rather clay-like in appearance, has little life in it. Also, that goes for the eye. These parts aren't fully opaque, so a touch of light can shine through. See how it makes the skin appear!

Whatever you wish to try, try it! It's surely a great thing to do so you can start getting used to doing it! Whenever you get to drawing a portrait, you may draw parts of it as much as you please, but drawing it as a whole, putting those things together so it looks like an actual face or full figure, that can be daunting! Certainly! But never impossible!

Still, you need to try it, and it probably won't start off as you would like, but it's a beginning, and you'll be on your way to improving as you continue to try!

As for the edge issue, this edge tutorial should really be a help, if you hadn't already seen it. If you have seen it, look over it again and study what's being said here.

Now, it appears that you're using smaller brushes to colour your works. You should try much larger round brushes (Photoshop) and, as some say, "block in" large areas, large forms. Some of the colouring looks a bit uneven and messy. The edges may suffer as well.

Right now, I can't think of much else to say, except take your time with this! You WILL get it, and the day that comes when you do start understanding, you will be SO happy! And you would keep reaching higher heights! So keep up with it!

Thanks
    Hey Jazz,

I still have some problems concerning light when it comes to reflections, like the one that is on the eyeball. Whatever the opacity I just cant get it right, so I simplified it (not a good thing on a "realistic" picture ).

I already saw the edge tut you linked, I should curve it in my brain so I always think about what's soft and what's not. I'll try harder!

As for the block in part, you're right: I should work in large areas more than small details when I begin something. I'm just too eager to go for details!

I'm sometimes wondering how to begin a picture: from really dark shapes or from linework. I suppose that it's a personnal matter.

I'm going to keep on trying until it becomes natural!

Anyway, here's some Bridgman hands and a crappy sci-fi scene.
    I like the idea of a small space ship going through a harbour, cutting the water in its trail and capsizing old-school-hong-kong-style ships. But not from that point of view...

Thanks
    Great hand studies, those lines are so wavy and expressive. And for some reason, a possessed cat.

As for your most recent digital, it looks like you're using a soft edge brush for blocking in forms. It might be better to try using a hard edged brush so you have a clearer idea of where everything is supposed to be. Also, don't be afraid to use reference photos or draw from life If you're trying to draw water splashing to the sides like that, try to look up how water actually looks when a boat cuts through it in real life and try to mimic that. Studying the finer points of perspective is a necessity for environment work. I think this could be really good if you planned it out a bit more, maybe gave it a more dynamic perspective.

Thanks
    I'm not sure if this has already been said, but I think you should work on your "stroke economy". In other words, use bigger brushes to block in large shapes and masses. Don't worry so much about the tiny details at first. Go from general to specific.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:
    http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_t...n_and_simplify

Oddly enough, you actually get more done for less work.

Thanks
    It's been a long time since my last post...

Noun and Syrella, you're both telling me that I need to work on blocking in and on stroke economy. Are there good tutorial out there that can show some techniques? Anyway, i'm going to spend more time on linework and big fat values before going into the details next time.

I found some really good tuts that have helped me a lot at http://www.ctrlpaint.com
    The guy, Matt Kohr, explains things plain and simple and the tuts are non-specific. Great site!

Here are some latest works:
    A colour adjustment for the eye study, a wip ugly portrait based on a tut of Daarken, a calm sea and linework for a self portrait.
    I kinda look like that

Thanks
    Alchemy is fun!
    http://al.chemy.org/

Thanks
    Block in for the self portrait.
    This is a point where i'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.
    I seem to jump to details and rendering too soon, so I tried to slow the pace down...

I used the standard round brush and the chalk brush with opacity and flow 100% and pen pressure.

I think the values are a bit too bright: shadows aren't dark enough.
    Tell me what you think!

Thanks
    Thanks for dropping by my SB.
    Things are starting to form up here, good studies.
    What I'd suggest next in your self-portrait, ist to block in the largest fields of values first.
    See how it starts to build up clear form. At the same time really focus on the light source, where it comes from and how it acts in the scene. Use big hard brushes to make it clear and readable, you don't want to mud up the values. After that it's going to town on this one filling up the details and forms as you go. Flipping the canvas horizontally can help spot flaws in form and balance and have a more fresh eye at the piece.
    Keep it up, things look promising here.

Thanks
    heya sha
    found your sb linked from ctrlpaint

i love the pirateboat in alchemy!
    and the last portrait is great. i think it would be improved by leaving most of the values as they are, just darkening the darkest ones (around the eyes, ear, under neck, etc)

love those sketches at the top of the thread also

Thanks
    Hey guys, I'm sorry I didn't post anything for a while.
    I found a new job and had to move so I aint got a stable internet connection yet.
    I'll be back in business soon!

Rortor: Thanks for the advice and the cheer up!

Aks9: As I'm getting my tablet back in a few days i'll be more active here and on ctrlpaint. See you soon!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.