do you think wooden pencils can ever be replaced by mechanical

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

do you think wooden pencils can ever be replaced by mechanical

to me it seems like the two are completely different, the skinny mech pencil is used by people who are trying to make things look clean and neat while regular pencils are used for their "weighty lines" and flow of movement
    would one ever achieve the same effect of the other

speaking of that do thick mechanical pencils (with lead the size of regular pencil's lead) even exist? do you think those can compete with regular pencils since they have similarly sized lead? would thick-lead mech pencils be the death of their wooden counterparts
    y/n
    or would it still be totally different since one is in plastic, and one's in wood

Last edited by stragan; July 8th, 2011 at 08:23 PM.
    ~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Personally, I like the drafting lead holders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Leadholder.jpg

Pros: The lead is about the same size as a wooden pencil, I can get it in varying hardnesses, it can be sharpened to a finer point than a .3 mechanical, I do not have to waste lead trying to remove a wooden casing, I can shade w/ the side of the lead by extending it a bit more, the tip does not break off in my pocket like a wooden pencil does, the lead can be shaped w/ sandpaper, and I can wear the lead down farther than I can a wooden pencil.

Downside is... well for me, I have not found any unless it's the fact that the sharpener for it is a little larger.

Thanks
    When I want really subtle and smooth shading, I have not found anything that can replace a 3h or 4h wooden Lumograph. It's the near weightlessness of a wooden pencil that I find useful for that kind of shading.

Thanks
    I too find lead holders far superior to wooden pencils. I haven't used a wooden pencil in at least four years. It's easy to switch lead hardness and the lead doesn't snap as you sharpen it like in a wood pencil.

Wooden pencils always seem to have that malevolent errant splinter when I use them that gouges the paper when I least expect it and I should have plenty of lead before I'm hitting wood.

This one is the king of drawing instruments!
    http://www.staedtler.com/Mars_techni...ActiveID=33252

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dokkalfar View Post

Pros: The lead is about the same size as a wooden pencil, I can get it in varying hardnesses, it can be sharpened to a finer point than a .3 mechanical, I do not have to waste lead trying to remove a wooden casing, I can shade w/ the side of the lead by extending it a bit more, the tip does not break off in my pocket like a wooden pencil does, the lead can be shaped w/ sandpaper, and I can wear the lead down farther than I can a wooden pencil.

Downside is... well for me, I have not found any unless it's the fact that the sharpener for it is a little larger.
    lol thats exactly how i pictured thick-lead mechs

btw if leadholder is really that good, why do people still continue using wooden pencils
    is it just because of tradition?

i heard wooden pencil gives more control than mech pencils but i personally dont see the difference. maybe i just suck at controlling either hahahaha

~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stragan View Post
    btw if leadholder is really that good, why do people still continue using wooden pencils
    I always figured it was price. The initial investment of a lead holder is a big price jump from those super cheap yellow school pencils.

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 681 Posts
    As to the OP's thread question.

No.

There are leads that are smooth that only work well in wooden design.

I use lead holders, but there are some pencils that give a smooth glide that kill a lead holder!

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dokkalfar View Post

just grab one of these http://www.amazon.com/PRO-ART-LEAD-S.../dp/B0027AGG86 Great for the lead holder user on the go.

My Website I am available for work

Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stragan View Post
    lol thats exactly how i pictured thick-lead mechs

It's probably just that the public doesn't need anything like the leadholder so they're harder to find and harder to buy leads for. Most people use regular mechanical pencils because they don't need to be sharpened. If they use a wooden pencil it's because they bought a pack of 20 for their kid for school or they got a complete set of art pencils or one turned up in the pencil cup at work or something. If they lose it it's not a big deal.

Otherwise, I don't know about other artists but I find sharpening leadholders a bit of a pain. You end up with a sharpener full of incredibly fine graphite dust which proceeds to escape and get all over everything. I have to keep the sharpener in a plastic baggie if I don't want to carry sandpaper everywhere. Although it's nice to have a dust supply around if you have a sticky lock.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    I already answered this question when the bastards made me switch from burnt twigs to pencils, but I can't find the thread in the archives. Sorry.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts

Thanks
    They're simply two different tools used for different jobs. It's like asking if oil paints would ever replace watercolors. Obviously not.

That said, They each have their advantages to the right person. Everyone will find their own preferred ways to uses them. I personally like to begin a sketch with a mechanical pencil (HB in most cases). This is so I can keep the pencil moving without having to sharpen, and keep the line weight light and loose. I then switch to softer lead wood pencils (mostly 3b to 5b) then go over my initial sketch for a cleaner line, line weight variety, detail, and shading. During this stage my initial light drawing will nearly disappear only leaving subtle lines which I think adds some character.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Some people take lead holders really seriously.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    oooooh... made me think of the old hand drafting days we had to do as part of engineering school. That was my favorite part of engineering too. Then we switched to CAD, and I got into 3D.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Dude...that link is...AWESOME! Where do you find this stuff?

The reason I think most artists don't use lead holders is their weight...much heavier than wood pencils.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Nice link Elwell.

Just a little trick from me. You can even use heavyweight chalk/pastel holder from Koh-I-Noor for square graphite sticks. All you need to do is wrap the stick several times with masking tape where it sticks inside. Holds really strong .

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Mechanical pencil leads below .7, the graphite is cut with plastic. The marks they make are gray and the feel in your hand is slippery and nasty.

I'm a big fan of lead holders and woodless pencils. The graphite in these (and in regular pencils) is cut with clay and feels crisp and gritty. Especially on rough newsprint.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Mechanical pencil leads below .7, the graphite is cut with plastic. The marks they make are gray and the feel in your hand is slippery and nasty.

I'm a big fan of lead holders and woodless pencils. The graphite in these (and in regular pencils) is cut with clay and feels crisp and gritty. Especially on rough newsprint.
    It is worth remembering that all those great Renaissance masters basically used "lead holders" to hold their chalk or charcoal or silver wire. It's the wood pencil that is the newfangled gadget. ;-)

Personally I like mechanical pencil, though for rapid sketches I prefer the broader line you get with a somewhat blunt wooden pencil. Haven't tried lead holders yet. I looked over them in an art supply shop today and very much liked their look and feel, so as soon as my current supply of wooden pencil run out, I'll probably switch to lead holders.

Thanks
    I've varied between mechanical and wooden, but it's mostly a result of my needing to create highly detailed images. Amusingly enough, it was only after I switched back to wooden pencils that I my detail improved. That being said, I generally stay away from graphite sticks nowadays because they're blunted far too easily by my rate of drawing.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruGaia View Post
    just grab one of these http://www.amazon.com/PRO-ART-LEAD-S.../dp/B0027AGG86 Great for the lead holder user on the go.
    That sharpener looks awesome. Too bad they don't ship to Canada!

sketchblog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flash jordan View Post
    That sharpener looks awesome. Too bad they don't ship to Canada!
    In case Faber Castell is sold in Canada they sell a similar sharpener for lead holders. The Blade gets dull very quickly but they cost only 0.50 euro a piece here. http://www.londongraphics.co.uk/acat...pener-lead.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 1