Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    Thanks
    Detail of the face - hopefully an improvement...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thegiffman View Post
    Detail of the face - hopefully an improvement...
    not really unfortunately.

the image as a whole is working well and has come a long way... big congrats and respect on/for that!

but you seem to be intimidated by more complex parts, especially faces. you manage to abstract e.g. legs, whole bodies, action, and so on quite well, but once it comes to faces, it feels heavyhanded and awkward. as i said before (and i wont bug you with that again, because i fear it comes off as preaching) your stylizations of the face dont work, because they dont read as charming/beautiful/cute/appealing, but are somehow scary.
    if youre going for charming and/or cute ...do it with as little lines/details as possible. e.g. drawing the divisions between teeth, takes away the charming aspect. try to draw a beautiful women smiling, and separating each tooth... it probably wont work. take a look how charming representations of eyes and so forth are done.

ive done another op, to illustrate what i mean. take the arm for example... theres so many dimples and elevations, where it can be done with one well placed line, it ends up to be lacking design and looking malformed. youre emphasizing the wrong things there.

Name:  thegiffman-juggler-01.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  115.8 KB

again... i have i lot of respect for your work and dedication, and only saying these things because i think you can take it , rock on man.
    Last edited by sone_one; August 15th, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
    "Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want."
    Glen Orbik

"To any man who has slaved to acquire skill in his art, it is most irritating to have his ability referred to as a 'gift.'"
    Andrew Loomis

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I applaud your dedication to this piece over such a prolonged period! I just wanted to throw in a quick bit of feedback that stood out for me. In your last update, we really can't see the juggler's eyes as they are heavily in shadow. He is the main focal character, we need to be able to get that read!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Sone_One: These are some great observations, and I'm very grateful to the time you put in demonstrating them. The question of how to simplify and stylize well is a bit of a thorn in my side, it would seem. I think moving to using more photo references helped overall, but ended up pushing me towards weird inconsistencies of style unwittingly. It's a problem I need to dedicate sustained effort to solving. In my other thread I'm making some headway, I think, so I'm going to see if I can get the juggler character nailed down. After that, I'll revisit this, and apply those insights as well as yours to finishing this piece.

Monkeybread: Good point on the eyes. It's one of those things that seems to look OK zoomed in, but not so great in the normal viewing distance. I'll address this as well.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12