Sketchbook: Tan-Sau's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tan-Sau's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tan-Sau's Sketchbook

It has been I think about three years since I joined CA, and I have not posted any of my artwork ever since. So, I'll post some of my more recent drawings. I don't know if anyone's allowed to post critiques, but if so, I would really appreciate it. I really wanna get better at drawing.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tan-Sau; October 14th, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

One Year Later

I haven't really posted anything for like, almost a year. I really don't know if I'm allowed to dig up this old thread, but it is my sketchbook, and now that I've returned to drawing and improved a bit along the way, I think it would be a good idea if I continued to post my progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's generally more frowned upon to make a new sketchbook when you already have one that's only a post long, so I think you're in the clear.

Seem to have a grasp on lighting and form.

Post more! (EDIT: And slightly smaller, if the image is too large it's hard to read.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fifth Page

Another value drawing. Used pencils of various grades this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

4/11

Sixth image. Tried my hand at composition. I need to work on my rendering a bit more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi and welcome to CA.

Good pencil studies, I would suggest you increase the contrast between the shadows and light and I don't know, but I feel like the shades aren't blended well.They're so light.
    And unless you're goal is photo realistic look, you should refine the outlines where it's dark, cause' with blending, they lose they're strength and become blurry.But if you want photo-realistic look then increase the contrast.
    I found good tutorials on DA, I hope it'll help you with your rendering.
    Here
    And here
    And keep up the good work

I struggle with my art studies and stuff, but I NEVER quit. *cough* just making myself clear
    Here, check my Sketchbook, drop a comment, you're always welcomed

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dihleez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Contour Drawings

Lately, I've been doing some anatomy studies (furthest I've gotten was the arm), and I had the feeling that I was missing a certain skill; not sure what skill, but something did not feel right. I assumed I rushed ahead in my studies, so I decided to work on the stuff that I've learned earlier by doing some contour drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Proportion Drawing

Today, I tried to do a proportion drawing of a Styrofoam mannequin wig head. All this time, I've been just measuring whole parts instead of using units of measurement (such as an eye). I wish I could've drawn a little bit bigger, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

5/19

I've been having tons of problems with this one table for a while. The first time I drew it, it looked all wonky. The second time, I couldn't really finish. Then after learning how to measure proportions correctly, I managed to pull through on the third drawing. Of course, it still looks a little off, but it looks fine aside from the linework.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

6/14

Another still life. I managed to incorporate the things I've learned from all the previous sighting and measuring that I've done. Although I think it looks good, I feel like something's off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

July

More entries. All drawn from photos because there was nothing interesting to draw. Done on a 5.5 x 8.5 Canson XL sketchbook. The first drawing was done entirely with an HB pencil. Also, I've noticed that the scanner I used had screwed up the darks in my previous drawings, so I had used the Auto Brightness feature in Microsoft Office to darken these drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice apples!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. I'm trying to learn how to render my drawings a bit more smoothly, because I tend to scribble a lot when I shade. Not to mention my line quality could use some work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You seem to have a good grasp of perspective and drawing what you see, just need to get them values up to par with your other skills and you will be mad pro .

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Dont trust anything i say! I'm a noob.
    My Noob Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, man. Any tips on shading and rendering?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More Drawings

Some more drawings. First, I decided to work some more on my contours. I still kinda have to work on them. Then, I decided to finally tackle portraiture, starting with a couple of self-portraits. With each drawing, I realized that my proportions were off and I needed to work on my values. It was at this point that I realized that I wasn't going as dark as I needed to. So, I forced myself to use 4B, 6B, and 8B pencils instead of the usual HB, B, and 2B pencils. Later, I decided to do a couple of drawings of DJs James Zabiela and Carl Craig, and I was pleased with the results. Check 'em out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tan-sau, I really enjoy seeing your dedication to improving. I can tell you feel something is missing though, and preventing you from improving as fast as you could be. Your tonal drawings are getting seriously badass, and I can see so much improvement from your first to most recent uploads.

You've uploaded a lot of observational drawings, but I haven't seen anything drawn from imagination yet! If you want to be a concept artist, as a general guide it is best to spend half your time drawing from life, half your time from imagination. This is the best way to apply the lessons you learned from observation! Absorb information through observation, assimilate by applying it with your imagination.

Forgive me if you already know this: there are also two views on how drawing from life should be done, realist and constructional. The realist approach is to copy exactly what you see, without judgement, trying to forget everything you think you know, in order to more accurately copy reality. The constructional approach is where you consider things like 3D construction and perspective just as much as visual accuracy.

While training to be a concept artist, I think it's especially useful to think constructionally, so that every time you draw from life, you don't simply copy the visual image your eyes are providing you. You actively recreate a 3D image of the object you're drawing in your mind. You can then pull out that mental construction next time you want to draw something from imagination!

For that reason, I think it might be useful for you to check out this webpage of basic head construction. While I'm not a fan of having a "formula to make heads", I think studying that for a little while has helped me a gain a better sense of how the basic shapes of the head are placed. What I would even more highly recommend is that you find some good references of a human skull or a model, and study the shapes from there. Draw it from every angle, learn to know all the contours, dips and bulges. Then start a new page, and do the same, without a reference. If your drawings from imagination look anything like those from observation, good job! But basically, we all have our work cut out

Here is a really helpful video on Matt Kohr's website: Exaggeration. The guy is plain awesome. He explains how exaggeration be really helpful in getting to know the shapes of the head and face. What connotations do certain features have? What effect does a large nose, or a prominent forehead, have on a viewer? By exaggerating, you get to know what makes a person individual, and you learn how to create believable characters from imagination.

I hope this post was helpful to you! Keep up the good work buddy
    Cedric

My Portfolio

My Sketchbook
    Please feel free to add a comment, I appreciate all feedback!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ceddo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice, ced. After first reading your post, I had decided to apply what I had learned by drawing a head and then shading it. But I realized something: I had realized that I really didn't learn anything. Most of my recent posts were from photographs, so I actually copied them. The only things I was concerned about was getting the drawing to look right, getting the proportions down, rendering, and pushing my darks. I really didn't think about how or why light behaves on an object. I guess it goes back to Rhineville's "A Consice Guide To Getting Better At Art" article, where he states that the reason why some artists do not improve is because they've never bothered to learn. I guess I've got a lot to learn as well.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Tan-Sau For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't believe it's been a year since I last posted anything here. Guess I've got some explaining to do...
    Earlier this year, I managed to get my hands on a book called "Start Drawing and Sketching Now" by Grant Fuller, which is basically a beginner's book that teaches you how to sketch in a loose, gestural style. So, along with Bert Dodson's "Keys to Drawing" and Sarah Simblet's "Sketchbook for the Artist", this book taught me to loosen up. I needed it, because I was hating the tight and restrictive way I drew. After weeks of loosening up with endless gestures, I felt more confident in my drawing ability, so I moved on to other subjects, but I had this habit of jumping through subject to subject with only a couple of weeks of practice, as though I was rushing.
    Anyway, I wanted to post my best drawings from March to now, but I don't have a scanner (these were taken with my crappy phone camera), so I'll post my current drawings, because I want to know where I stand as of now and I want critiques. Also, most of these are from photos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here some more drawings. Managed to get my roommate's scanner, so now I can post some drawings. Yes! A while ago, I found out that kung fu and martial arts make awesome subjects for gesture drawings. Also included: a self-portrait.

Members who have read this thread: 5