Thanks

Looking for websites with great tutorials for figure drawing

Anybody know any good websites, I would like to keep working on my studies and I thought what better way then to ask the community!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to matejkovacic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    This one in particular: Tutorials
    There are some outstanding artists in the Fine Arts forum...mainly "Riley" method students: RileyH. Look around, you'll find others - many of them are in Riley's thread so they're easy to find.

Excellent source: Posespace
    And another: Virtual Pose
    And an excellent gesture tool: Gesture Tool
    A good thread following someone through an intensive figure class.

I would just like to add that there aren't a lot of "tutorials" for figure drawing, good ones anyway...it isn't that kind of thing. It is best done from life and under good instruction for a few years. Maybe you're aware of that already, just wanted to throw that out there.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    posemaniacs.com has a good collection of different poses that you can use for practice.
    It's not a tutorial, but observing and practicing is just as good (/better) in my opinion.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ebillan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebillan View Post
    posemaniacs.com has a good collection of different poses that you can use for practice.
    It's not a tutorial, but observing and practicing is just as good (/better) in my opinion.
    Sorry, posemaniacs is a great idea but so poorly executed that it does more harm than good. Use the pixelovely gesture tool I linked instead.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Sorry, posemaniacs is a great idea but so poorly executed that it does more harm than good. Use the pixelovely gesture tool I linked instead.
    In what way do you think it's poorly executed?
    I just want to know, seeing as I use it

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    It's just Poser renders of the third generation DAZ figures with muscle overlay textures. Neither the proportions nor the anatomy are accurate.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Well, there are a few main issues...and they're showstoppers for me:

1 - They're mediocre 3D models - very stiff and they don't move or take poses in a natural manner
    2 - No lighting to speak of
    3 - The muscle texture is very distracting, and again, not accurate to what muscles really do
    4 - Odd poses and angles

So all in all it is just a lot of bad, misleading information. You won't find any professionals using it for sure...and there is a reason. You're just far better off using any number of other resources, or a mirror, or a friend, or total strangers out in the real world.

If you have a massive collection of, ahem, figure photos you can use this excellent, free little viewer app: IR Fanview. Basically that is what the Pixelovely Gesture Tool is.

You're best resource, asided from working from life, is either the Posespace books/site or Virtual Pose.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Well, good to know. I always knew the anatomy seemed off, but I never noticed anything wrong with the poses.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Used to use posemaniacs but not anymore. the only thing that it could be useful for is getting a very general sense of foreshortening.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    The late Fred Fixler's site has a good set of Reilly diagrams and some brief gems of wisdom from the man.

http://www.fredfixler.com/index.php/cave-22/

(And, for the record, I think having a variety of toys is more useful than Posemaniacs. . .)

Thanks
    yeah that website is awsome but I cant afford to buy the poses, So I guess the free ones will do, just have to joom in on the little picture box to see them

Thanks
    So the pixeylovely would be the best site for me to learn figure drawing and gesture drawing?

Thanks
    Should I spend money for these Wesbsites such as virutal pose or is it better to just draw from the small pictures on the website

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    It's better to draw from life.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickels View Post
    So the pixeylovely would be the best site for me to learn figure drawing and gesture drawing?
    I think the best place to learn would be to go sit in a park or mall and draw the people around you. That is probably the first step to take, before one bothers too much with books and websites and anatomy and stuff. One has to work out what the problems are in the first place before a book can help one to solve them, and the way to do that is to get some experience drawing.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickels View Post
    Should I spend money for these Wesbsites such as virutal pose or is it better to just draw from the small pictures on the website

You're not going to "learn" figure drawing this way, it is a very distant second to working from life/taking a class. But, these sites can be good resources to stay in practice.

And no way will it help to sit there using the small images and copy them in a sketchbook - just not how to go about it. When I use these resources (and yes I buy their books so I have the DVDs) I project them up life size on a 5'x5' blank canvas in my studio, relative to a decent viewing distance one would experience working from life (so the figure is usually around 3'-4' longest dimension) - and draw from that. I get as close as I can to replicating a life drawing session in my studio. In the end it is just SO much easier to take a class or go to open sessions at a community art center. But you do what you gotta do.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Post my new strategy

Go to the mall and bus station near my house and draw from the people there and just use these resources for extra studies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    I think the best place to learn would be to go sit in a park or mall and draw the people around you. That is probably the first step to take, before one bothers too much with books and websites and anatomy and stuff. One has to work out what the problems are in the first place before a book can help one to solve them, and the way to do that is to get some experience drawing.
    thank you very much

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    You're not going to "learn" figure drawing this way, it is a very distant second to working from life/taking a class. But, these sites can be good resources to stay in practice.

And no way will it help to sit there using the small images and copy them in a sketchbook - just not how to go about it. When I use these resources (and yes I buy their books so I have the DVDs) I project them up life size on a 5'x5' blank canvas in my studio, relative to a decent viewing distance one would experience working from life (so the figure is usually around 3'-4' longest dimension) - and draw from that. I get as close as I can to replicating a life drawing session in my studio. In the end it is just SO much easier to take a class or go to open sessions at a community art center. But you do what you gotta do.
    Here in South Africa, life drawing is more or less unheard of, and I suspect many other people have that same problem. But I would agree that drawing from small images on screen is probably not the best way to go about it.

Draw people in public places, draw yourself (self-portraits and drawing one's own hands can teach one quite a lot, I would guess) and copy the work of master artists rather than reference photographs.

There is a book titled "Figure drawing without a model," by one Ron Tiner, which might also be of some use: he strongly recommends sketching people wherever you encounter them.