Art: Koro::From Zspheres, first project inZBrush..

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Koro::From Zspheres, first project inZBrush..

Hi guys, I have not posted much of late.
    probably more so as I have been taking some time to learn other things to help with my work experience.
    One of those things being ZBrush, and Maya. Like crazy in the last week to last 2 years, I have been trying to off and on put my mind around Zbrush, but only recently has it start to really take root in my learning mind.

Before I continue on with more sculpting, texturing, baking and so on, I was curious to get some open and constructive crits on my armature, would be most insightful, and would appreciate hints if any..

I will apologize in advance for the rather large size of the Jpegs, but I simply screen shot them.

Update: Sculpting Head[ 7.6.11

I've moved into doing some basic detail on the head of my armature, masking off from the collar and working from a concept sketch I previously did on some ipad sketches..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This again is the original sketch that I am trying to sculpt from. Planning on taking some of the details from this, but building the outer parts from a base mesh extraction, and saving as other parts in Subtools, i.e chest plate/shoulder armor, util. belt, boots, gloves and fatigues...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could this potentially be too many polygroups?

I am feeling a little uncomfortable with the Zspheres of the feet, but I wanted to wait till making 3D skin of the armature and adding subtracting to the topology of them before I expect an outcome.

http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1312075629

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by koro; July 30th, 2011 at 10:35 PM.
    "Oretachi wa Ningen-yori
    Ningenrashii"..
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have never worked in a digital format, so I don't know ass from pitchfork, but to me it really looks cool, but I also don't know the character, but still....sure looks like a lot of work to me. I want to see more.

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks,

I am trying to model a figure from my own personal concept art, and build him around an armature that was done from Zsheres, then skinned, and to follow use mesh extractions to build subtools for the various parts of his outfit. Learning more and more about Zbrush as I continue.. After loosing the posted subtool of the head last night, I've had to go back in and redone the sculpt..

Front - 3/4

Rear - 3/4

"Oretachi wa Ningen-yori
    Ningenrashii"..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

7.9.11 Update

Back at, but calling it a night for tonight.But, getting the BDU Pants done, thinking this should be awesome when I apply Digital ACU patterns to the maps.. Still, trying to work out the folds and organic shapes of the pant shapes as I prep to sculpt subtools for the utility belt..

"Oretachi wa Ningen-yori
    Ningenrashii"..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As for updates, Last night I got the BDU pants a little more sculpted on the fold details, but still might go in later for more touch-ups.

Over all, this is turning to be the fastest education in 3D sculpting and concepting, and versus illustrating the character, I can really get started with getting my general turn-a-round done much faster. This will for sure help when I get work doing tons of iterations..

UPDATE EDIT:7-11-2011 : NOMEX GLOVES

I started in on the nomex gloves subtool this afternoon, and making some progress. Tried to add in some texture to the surface of the palm's cloth parts to separate it from the rest of the leather surface. I think a few more subtle creases, and work on the edge of the opening of the gloves and we'll be there..

-And just to put some motion to it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwg6C...er_profilepage

"Oretachi wa Ningen-yori
    Ningenrashii"..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Been a little time since an update, so here goes..

I have pretty much have the figure sculpted out, and currently doing some retopology in Zbrush4 before applying maps and color. Shown below are some BPR renders, one of which I have taken into PSCS-5 for some paintovers to get an idea of color and material..

Back to work, then UVs and texture..

Open crits are welcome..

"Oretachi wa Ningen-yori
    Ningenrashii"..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by koro View Post
    Hi guys, I have not posted much of late.
    probably more so as I have been taking some time to learn other things to help with my work experience.
    One of those things being ZBrush, and Maya. Like crazy in the last week to last 2 years, I have been trying to off and on put my mind around Zbrush, but only recently has it start to really take root in my learning mind.

Before I continue on with more sculpting, texturing, baking and so on, I was curious to get some open and constructive crits on my armature, would be most insightful, and would appreciate hints if any..

I will apologize in advance for the rather large size of the Jpegs, but I simply screen shot them.

Update: Sculpting Head[ 7.6.11

I've moved into doing some basic detail on the head of my armature, masking off from the collar and working from a concept sketch I previously did on some ipad sketches..

This again is the original sketch that I am trying to sculpt from. Planning on taking some of the details from this, but building the outer parts from a base mesh extraction, and saving as other parts in Subtools, i.e chest plate/shoulder armor, util. belt, boots, gloves and fatigues...

Could this potentially be too many polygroups?

I am feeling a little uncomfortable with the Zspheres of the feet, but I wanted to wait till making 3D skin of the armature and adding subtracting to the topology of them before I expect an outcome.

http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1312075629
    i use - Zesferas in the progress, in his arms, in his legs, in his neck a lot body
    good stuff

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can re-group the colored sections of the base mesh so that you can isolate parts better. Breaking apart the mesh in zbrush allows you to crank up detail on each part to a really high level. Instead of having to budget your memory across the whole thing, you can reach the limit for each part and then just put it together.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.