C.O.W. #220 ,Furious Tiny Terror. Voting!

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: pick you favorite "furious tiny terror"

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lege1

1 1.47%
  • scorge

21 30.88%
  • Zimzibar

0 0%
  • taiski

12 17.65%
  • Dragonfrog

0 0%
  • kingkostas

22 32.35%
  • Me, Myself, & Me again

3 4.41%
  • logistic puppet

1 1.47%
  • strangedawn

3 4.41%
  • David Ray

0 0%
  • jrbarker

3 4.41%
  • blitzanger

0 0%
  • Cericke

1 1.47%
  • McGhoul

1 1.47%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #220 ,Furious Tiny Terror. Voting!

C.O.W. #220 Furious Tiny Terror_Voting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #220 VOTING

Topic: Furious Tiny Terror

Deadline for the voting: July 20th

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by (lark; July 14th, 2011 at 01:00 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Furious, Tiny, Terror

Artist: Lege1

Concept: Pequeno Diablo a.k.a. Little Devil

Years ago there was a creature that looked very ferocious but was harmless that lived in the rain forests of South America. The creature used to feed off of the Umguaya berry that was rare but abundant in certain parts of the South American region. Mankind eventually destroyed all these areas in which the Umguaya berry grew and the creatures that fed on them were bound to go extinct. A miraculous adaption occurred in these creatures that was for the better of their survival, but not the rest of the animal kingdom and mankind.

Villagers from the forest land in South America started reporting people missing from their tribes and found them days later shredded to pieces with wounds that secreted a greenish type of slime. It was later found that this green slime was indeed a highly potent venom that was found on the tongues of the creatures that once fed off the Umguaya berry. South American Scientists went on to conduct research and discovered that the once harmless berry eating creatures had now turned carnivorous due to a lack of certain chemical that the creatures ingested from the berries.

The South American government instantly ordered a global warning calling the new species of berry eater the "Pequeno Diablo" known in English language as the "Little Devil" and urged all people to be the lookout for their safety and animals. The Pequeno Diablo creatures, now a flesh eating species, are rapidly breeding and migrating to various regions across the world. They have been spotted as far away as the upper regions of Asia, Austrailia and even the plains of Africa. The "Pequeno Diablo" is a very ferocious species that is more than capable of taking down any animal whether it be big or small.

***Larger Images of this creature can be seen at the following***
    http://legend0187.blogspot.com/2011/...ny-terror.html

Last edited by Lege1; July 13th, 2011 at 02:19 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 429 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: scorge

Concept: Ferocious Kuwanasites
    Lurking among the tree branches, the pack of Ferocious Kuwanasites eagerly awaits their yearly hunt of the largest land animal, the elephant. Kuwanasites hibernate for 11 months out of the year, and are known for their vicious tempers and have a poisonous saliva which when injected through bite or a prick from thier many quills, horns and sharp probosci can bring down the mightiest of beasts. Deemed to be the most ferocious creatures alive, their cunning and cooperation along with their bloodthristy nature allows them to feast and ward off predators, while maintaining the title of most rapacious of Mother Nature's creations.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Final

Artist: Zimzibar

Concept: Feramus
    A rat sized jerboa type mammal, the Feramus has powerful back legs for running and leaping at prey.

It has an extremely strong and sharp boney beak and forearms, as well as horn like growths, for spearing and tearing apart the animals it hunts. The Feramus hunts in groups of 6-12 depending on the size of the prey.

They live in groups of over 100 where vicious fights over dominance are common. They are however sharp and intelligent creatures.

My Sketchbook Please feel free to stop by and crit/comment!

My Blog!

My Deviantart

Painty paint paint

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Taiski

Concept: Sword Shrimp

Between it's incredible speed, it's ability to jump heights several times it's size, a tail with a sharpness unrivaled by any blade and a terrifyingly vicious demeanor, it comes to no surprise the Sword Shrimp is the apex predator in many ecosystems.

Sword Shrimps hunt by climbing and pouncing on to the skulls of animals much larger than itself and administers a deadly blow with it's sharp tail, which they can put a surprising amount of force behind. The prey is often not killed instantly, but put into a stupor for the Sword Shrimps to feast on in their own time.

Name:  furious tiny terror finished.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  281.3 KB

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taiski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Dragonfrog

Concept: The Nukuoro Venom Rat

The Nukuoro Venom rat originated in... well... Nukuoro. Nukuoro is an atoll in the middle of oceanic nowhere, owned by Federated States of Micronesia. The species is said to have emerged from hell by the 372 people that live there. They are armed with venom, quills, teeth, and venom. They've killed hundreds of people and animals.
    ...And they're only 2 and a half inches tall. It's named after it's size and behavior.
    The venom they create is paralyzing. It is consisted of two components: blood and a naturally secreted chemical. When combined in the sacs along their back, they become a terrible poison that can be secreted out of it's teeth and spines and can be spit out of it's mouth. When the victim is paralyzed, the attacker can call it's friends and they can gorge themselves on the helpless, yet awake victim.
    They and their small, squishy eggs are a sandy green color that blend finely into the surrounding flora.
    They were quickly eradicated from the islands with the help of Micronesian scientists, yet few managed to stow-away onto the ships returning to heavier populated, human-rich cities...

Last edited by Dragonfrog; July 13th, 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Instead of Nukuoro, I put Tokelau.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,969 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Kingkostas

Concept: Exapodus skolix

Exapodus skolix, a tiny furious creature, was firstly discovered by a biologist while investigating the strange death of an elephant. The creature entered the elephant through the mouth, pretending to be a delicious fruit.While inside the body, exapodus skolix begins a barbaric takeover , eating from inside out.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Me,Myself & Me again

Concept: Acer denticulatis Rodent

Acer denticulatis Rodent meaning sharp toothed rodent. This Species is the evolved cousin of the common rat. It utilizes a numbing agent in its saliver to feast on flesh with out its prey knowing. To do this it usually hunts at night on sleeping victims. Acer denticulatis Rodent swarms have been recorded eating full human adults in one sitting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: logistic puppet

Concept: egosmix XIII
    Originally from the planet Sepertan from the Julex galaxy they arrived on Earth as test subjects. Little was know about the creatures except they showed heavy signs of violence and anger. The most curious part of the creature is that it has two brains which function systematically controlling different emotions at the same time. The first brain located at the top of the Egosmix controls its logic, reason, balance and ability to communicate. The other brain located its second head attached to its arms controls it's ability to hunt, to defend itself and to attack. It seemed a trip to Earth not only caused the Egosmix to mad with rage but also gave the creature a good hunting ground once it escaped imprisonment. Now it spends its time hiding in dark places, praying on creatures much bigger itself by shooting highly toxic mucus and destroying as much competition as possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: strangedawn

Concept: little fury beast

This creature really move fast and he use his tongue to poison his enemy before he bite it with his razor sharp teeth.
    He just killed an animal that is why he has blood on his mouth..hehe just a quick work.goodluck to all!=)

My sketchbook.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=203100&page=7

Awesome artist and friends

Nkristian

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strangedawn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

COW220

[*B]Artist: [*COLOR=White]David-Ray[/COLOR]

Concept: [*COLOR=White]Trazor[/COLOR]

[/B]The Trazor has evolved from a pirahna like fish millions of years ago to a venomous amphibion. Trazors still travel in groups of upto 30, like their ancestors, but rather being confined to water they often leap out of water on top of large mammals drinking from the water. They are equipped with a powerful neurotoxin that they inject through a spine in their tails, so even if a large land animal retreats to land after the initial attack the group of Trazors will chase their victim until the neurotoxin falls the beast and they can collect their prize. Trazors are extremely aggressive and go into a frenzied mode when feeding which allows them to strip a huge carcass on land or water in a matter of minutes.

Last edited by David_Ray; July 13th, 2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: name format

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

COW 220

Artist: J.R. Barker

Concept: Lil' Terror
    This happy little guy can sit in the palm of your hand. But never let him get that close! His saliva and tail prong both have a paralyzing agent. After neutralizing his prey, this quick fellow can strip bones clean in a matter of minutes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist:Blitzanger

Concept: Zombie Bird
    When the woodpeckers lost their main source of protein, termites, they fell to preying upon corpses. They found their strong beaks perfect for hammering through the skulls of corpses. Soon they moved on to hammering upon the live animals. Over time, they gained sharp spikes to better cling to their prey, as well as losing the feathers around their beaks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Eyesnatcher

This awful little avian consumes the eyes of its victims by launching itself high into the air with its powerful legs, floating down with its umbrella-like plumage, and pecking out one eye while grabbing the other for later (and self defense) with its clawed tail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: McGhoul
    Concept: Spear Tongue Tree Devil

This small grapefruit sized creature has evolved an interesting way of taking down very large prey. A sharp enamel coated "spear tip" grows on the end of a very strong long tongue. The creature hides up in the trees and falls down on its victim latching on with its sharp teeth and claws. It then powerfully extends its tongue into the victim aiming at vital organs. If the spear does not make a successfull strike the poison in the tip will enter the blood stream and kill the victim in minutes.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to McGhoul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! My shit wasn't worthy of one vote?! FML! Thanks Strangedawn for at least liking it =) makes it worthwhile to do another one mosdef. Voted for Scorge as always. No explanations needed, and regardless of whether Scorges creatures will definitely not fit in your hand, more like house cats,lol.. Next!

Last edited by Lege1; July 14th, 2011 at 06:49 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,969 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    voted for scorge because when i see the design, i think it depicts the subject very nice
    great works everyone!!!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Logistic Puppet, the concept wasn't very strong, but the image was brilliant. So much detail...

@Lege1, yours was awesome dude. Don't get hung up on the votes. I'm looking forward to seeing your next one ^^

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taiski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for JR Barker .
    Love the design, very cute and creepy.
    Also it's eyes. IT'S EYEESSS.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonfrog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 661 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some great entries this round. Voted for Scorge, just a great piece of work!
    Managed to make some crits for the week...

@Lege1: Don't worry too much about the voting. Just push yourself to better your abilites, competitions like this are a great way to get motivated to be better. Anyways, I'm not too crazy about the colours of your creature, some decent texturing but the forms although rendered well seem to need a bit of an adjustment beased on their proportions, if you notice the symmetry is off on your creature, I know you sketched this out on paper so it's a bit harder to flip the image to notice but don't be afraid of tweaking it digitally if your planning on colouring it digitally. The small illustration to the right was a neat way to show the creatures attack an elephant. though I do feel that a bit more detail on the creatures would've help show how they do it. Also the elephant's legs seem to be inconsostent with perspective. Overall this is a pretty good design you got, keep it up, and keep pushing yourself to get better!

@Scorge: Nice piece of work dude! I love that spot lighting on the creatures I always feel when that is added to a piece it gives it a more realistic and believable look to it, and also ties your subject with the environment much better. I like the reptilian mammalian look these creatures have, it gives them a very prehistoric look. Some of the scales seem a bit wonky in some places though. I do notice that proportions on the faces from each creature vary, I'm not sure if it was intentional to give each one indiviuality. Also even though you have a half dozen creature's on this peice, the complete anatomy and design is a little unclear mainly becasue the hind quarters are hidden by dark shadows. In general an good piece that got my vote! Good work dude!

@Zimzibar: Definitly has a deadly look to it, some parts of the creature's anatmoy could be improved mainly on the legs and the forearm behind the creature still looks a bit awkward. the background needs a bit more work mainly for atmospheric depth, by the creature the ground looks almost the same as all the way at the horizon.

@Taiski: Kool looking shrimp creature, you should try to push the values a bit more to make it pop a bit more becasue it does look a tiny bit too flat. Add some stronger colours on the face and eye so it stands out a bit more from the rest of the body and also the eye is looking a little dull. Add a cast shadow to ground the creature better.

@Dragonfrog: The perspective looks quite a bit off on the finger compared to the creature. The skin needs some more textureing because it looks quite subtle. The ghostly hand should've been removing becasue it's quite sketchy and throws off your peice quite a bit, the finger itself gives the creature enough scale for the viewer to see how big it is. I also notice a lot oflines that should be neat, such as the spikes on the back and on the finger, are quite jagged. When sketching make an effort to make quick confident strokes, so your linework looks neat and deliberate.

@kinkostas: Some parts of the creature still looks quite blurry, and the dark background I feel should've been cleaned up a little bit more, but overall there is some really good rendering going on and a neat looking design.

@Me,Myself & Me again: I like the texturing here on the creature, and the scene really gives it a good sense of it's nasty reputation. The cast shadow on it's neck seems a little too dark and throws off the shading on the rest of the creature. The position your creature's in isn't the greatest either to show it's full design and anatomy. Some of the background elements are bothering me a little, such as the size of eah panel on the hardwood floor, their tiny.

@logistic puppet: A unique looking creature, and unique idea with the double headed design, however I feel it could've been executed a little better, becasue the head on the arms seems a bit too heavy being supported by such scrawny arms. A neat little graphic at the bottom, but I feel it could do without the text over top of it, becasue at first glance it doesn't show very well. Also based on that graphic your creature seems just a tad too big seeing as it was supposed to be the size of a human hand, your creature's closer to the size of a cat or small dog. The lack of a cast shadow under the creature doesn't ground the creature all that well.

@strangedawn: Definietly a nasty little bugger! Once again the frontal view doesn't allow for a good view of the design. Does it have just two legs? a tail? does the bloody boil on it's side continue on it's back? It's just something to consider for creature design rather than an illustrative design which is what these weekly contests are about. I'm also a little confused by the white squiggly thingy just to the left of the creature's head, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be, smoke, maybe? such things should be left out of the painting if it's not clear what they are exactly. Overall though some nice rendering, a bit rougher than your previous works, but as you stated this was a bit of a quicky. Nice composition and evil expression!

@David Ray: Try to avoid such harsh blacks when shading, cuz it throws off the vlaues and distrupts the form. The hind legs look very awkward and there are aolso some anatomy issues as well. The design isn't too original. I can almost make out some texturing and patterning, but since the values of the patterns are almost the exact same as the mid tones of the skin it's very hard to make it out. Also the background seems to be going backwards in terms of composition and depth. Normally when objects and stuff are further away from the focal area, they get lighter and desaturated, and things closer are darker and more saturated.

@jrbarker: Your rendering here is a lot smoother and neater than previous stuff you've done, It looks a lot better and shows the materials much better. The design is pretty neat, almost like a whale in a turtle shell, though the legs look a bit wierd and immobile to be. Ususally I stray away from white backgrounds, but here is shows the silhouette of your creature nicely and the values on your creature a varied enough not to get to overpowered by the white.

@Blitzanger: An interesting idea. The values need to be pushed much more because your creature looks very flat. The texturing on the elephant is superior to the texturing on your bird which, once again flatten and also distrupts the form. Use some more saturated colours especially on your creature seeing as it is the focal point of the image. You also want the elephant's skin to be a lot darker as well, becasue it is quite close to the foreground.

@Cericke: Interesting. It is looking very rough atm, almost incomplete, the head and plumage has no form making it appear very flat. At first glance the tail seemed just like some random tentacle on the creature, you could've better positioned the tail so it better shows where it is attached to the creature and to give the piece a better compositional flow.

@McGhoul: wouldn;t want this guy jumping on my face! The anatomy of the creature still looks a little off, where it's limbs attach to the body you should indicate the muscle structure that supports them to the body instead of little wrinkles that make it look like something just stuck into the body. You should add a bit more range of values to your creature, it needs more darker shadows and brighter highlights to make it appear less flat, and add some depth to the hands behind the creature, they look like their attached to his head (especially the top one)

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

32. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Rob. My favorite part about the voting process (Besides the Winning [which won't come anytime soon]) is the Critiquing. I always love to learn from the dreaded mistakes.

I am not necessarily happy with this entry myself, since I tried this one with lines. It feels awkward to look at all the pretty entries and see mine all cartoon-ish and sloppy.
    I'm so used to drawing cartoons. I'll work on my creatures. I promise!

Also, I put the ghost hand in to indicate that the finger was only the first two digits, and to not make it look too big.

I use GIMP, so I'm the caveman(woman?) compared to all of you, with Photoshop CS3 and whatnot. I have a painting program somewhere around... I think it's called Artrage 3 or something or other.

In otherwords, thank you for the crit and i'll work on my perspective a bit more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Taiski: Thanks a million, really glad you liked it. Just get frustrated sometimes cause I know my work can't be that f'ing horrible, I mean it'll never be good enough, but wtf? lol Seriously glad you feelin it though.

Rob: It's people like you that keep me coming back man. I totally feel you and I put in work to improve my skills as an artist over all; I got the big picture a long time ago on here,lol. Whatever the case, yeah bro, always more work to put in and the opportunity to make things better. I am just going to keep going and going and never stop until I physically / mentally cannot or just end up broke and in the street homeless, haha. Thanks for pointing those things out and also thank you for being such a motivator on here. I think one should get stars, stripes, or some type of shyt to represent community support. You my friend are definitely a great motivator and supporter on here. Stay best with all you do too and thanx again =) Not good about giving critiques since my work lacks so much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great entries everyone! Rob, thanks for the crits, i certainly plan on adding more detail for my next entry, it was a bit plain i´ve learnt from this so i´m happy!

My Blog!

My Deviantart

Painty paint paint

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Rob, I kinda threw this one together on Wed night and it shows. I appreciate the critique. I'm very comfortable with pen, pencil and charcoal, but I'm new to digital painting. I notice some of you do grey scale before color on WIPS and other stuff I don't know how to do. Do any of you have some tips on how to get more depth out of my ditigal work? I recently got a Digital Masters book and am going to try to work my way through it, but any input on techniques would be awesome. I normally work on photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

crits

Lege1 As Rob said, don't take it personally about the votes mate. If you take a look at the folks who post amazing enteries and look at their past work you'll see that we all start at the same point, and keeping at it and not giving up is what makes you stronger.
    Your entry is good, you nailed the brief perfectly. My biggest concern with the concept is the overall layout. I don't like the white in the background because it destroys focal attention, values and lighting. Also the way the action shot blurs into existance looks kinda scrappy. I would have perhaps put the two images into seperate boxes, this would have made the concept look cleaner and more professional. That or tried to incorporate these two designs into one image, like an illustration. Also more detail on the elephant and the creatures would help your design seeing as there a focal point. The elephant doesnt look that distressed seeing as hes being brutally killed. Hope this helps dude, still a good entry, can't wait to see what you come up with in the future

scorge Nice one dude, awesoem lighting through those trees. Got my vote.

zimzibar Good concept, the overall image looks abit bare and it would have been cool to see these things hunting in large packs like your description says. The creature itself is nicely rendered, perhaps abit more attention to those spike/claws would be cool. To counter the fact the concept looks bare, more rendering and attention to its surrounding environment would help alot. Perhaps having more that one focal point and showing more of these creatures in the background in action would make your concept more exiting.

Taiski Thanks for your compliment regarding my concept, it means alot to hear i'm improving
    The rendering of this creature is very nice, i also like the colour palette you used, the description about this creature is prity sick also, nice one ;D Perhaps putting something in your design to show scale would be cool to show that 'tiny' effect. Also perhaps a direct light source with a cast shadow would help push your design futher.

Dragonfrog Cool design, the finger is a nice touch which demonstrates scale and aggression. The values need to be worked abit more on this creature though. The creature is also looking very flat against the plain background. I would recommend doing lots of studies/paintings of stuff from real life in black and white to help understand lighitng and how it affects different objects and materials. Doing this will also help you with your form and how objects exist in 3D space. The concept itself is good though, you did a good job and hitting the brief, nice one.

kingkostas Very nice entry dude, the description is also very cool. My biggest problem with the concept is the scale. Theres nothing to demonstate this as tiny. The only thing present to suggest scale is the floor, which looks like grass, which makes this worm look rather large. I found it interesting in your WIP how at the end of the work progress you increased the saturation, then the next entry you arrived at this beautifully rendered concept. No idea what you did but its prity cool ;p. Over all a very nice concept, well done!

me,myself and me again I really like this concept. I liked how you added elements like the plug socket and the foot to demonstate scale. The creature is also very nicely rendered, especially that scaly skin. I think the wooden flooring looks out of scale, looks way too small and i think this messes the perspective up alot. Also rendering on the socket, foot and wall would have helped polish your concept up. Good job on nailing the brief though, i still really like this design.

strangedawn That creature looks nasty, i think it just needs abit of love and a hug ;D Awesome colours too, really bring home the mood and character of the creature. Perhaps would have been cool to see this creature in a different pose to show of more of the design because at the mo its hard to tell what it actually is and its anatomy.

David Ray The creature design itself looks very cool. I would perhaps focus some time on the values and lighting because at the mo they are abit odd. Also establishing some textures on the creature would help your design, but i guess these would come with the values. The background also is very flay which isnt doing your creature much justice. Once you get those values nailed dont be afraid to experiment abit with some colour. Using colour makes your design generally more appealing to the eye and also helps sell mood. In photoshop its very easy to play with colour without damaging your design so give it a go.

jrbarker Very original design and also nicely rendered. My first concern is although this dude has some great character he definitely doesnt look furious. Also theres nothing here to suggest scale so its hard to tell hes tiny. I think that brown spiky shell thing on his back is abit off also. Either the values or perspective but its clashing with the rest of your design. Still love that face though, the shiny blue head is very nice and has some very nice texture.

blitzanger Priy gruesome concept, killer woodpeckers, or flesh peckers . The creature itself is cool, and nicely rendered, perhaps pushing the values abit more would help.My biggest concern is that elephant hes pecking. The texture you used has form and values which are clashing with your design making it look flat. I'm abit of a sucker for using textures also but the advice i would give for using them is not to beome reliant on them. Use the texture, but play with its filters and levels etc then get some paint over the top to break it up.

cericke That creature is siiiiiiiick lol. Kinda hard to tell this creature is the same one from your description though. The anatomy of this creature is hard to believe also, i cant imagine this thing being able fly or walk. Also its hard to tell this creature is floating in your design, it looks very static and there is little movement.

mcghoul Cool creature concept, defiantly looks furious. Theres nothing here to suggest hes tiny though. Also i'm not sure i like the background, its flat colour is making your design look flat and also making it look static. The creature itself is nicely designed and has a cool style. Nice one.

Hope these helped guys, peace

Will

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 429 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Paintover for David Ray and the rest of the COW crew

Man, gonna be a close one! Kingkostas you had my vote from the time your little terror and my eyes first met.
    I'm not sure what came over me but for some reason I decided to do a long paintover for David Ray, I suppose you can say that I should have spent that time writing up critiques for all you fine artists who participated, but at the same time I'm hoping that there is perhaps some insight here for everyone to enjoy, so I decided to paint instead. I've done my best to point out in the simplest way possible the techniques and corrections I made in the paintover but if there's something I missed please let me know. As is generally common with new artists just starting out, David did a good job of getting this guy on the canvas, but didn't go far enough in really figuring out how this creature could be a hell of a lot more believeable. ?All of the work, which really only took abouot an hour, was done entirely in Photoshop. I hope that this helps David and that at least some of you find this useful.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

40. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow scorge, great paintover helped me anyway. logistic puppet, thanks for the advice, i agree with all of it. I'll put more time and thought in to my next piece

My Blog!

My Deviantart

Painty paint paint

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, great paintover Scorge. Nice work!

With some of the advice from here, I decided to improve my character a bit as well...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scorge... you're a bit awesome then aren't you? And doing that in an hour? I've got such a long way to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I might sound a bit negative and overly critical with my reviews, so everyone should imagine I put "I loved your work but..." at the beginning of each review. Seriously.

Sorry if what I wrote didn't make much sense, i didn't get much sleep and I'm knackered.

@Lege1, you've painted your creature very well, but the tonal values aren't all too varied. The structure and the balance of your creature is off too. I didn't see any of your sketches so I don't know how you work but for the next challenge i suggest you do lots of quick sketches for the design of your creature. Experiment with how the creature looks from different angles and see how the proportions feel. Do some preliminary lighting sketches too. This was you can get a lot more feedback from other members too.
    Sorry if that was tl;dr. You're good at most of what you do, i think the rest is more experience and feedback. I'm looking forward to seeing how much you improve.

@scorge, I know I'm going to be so very hated by everyone for saying this.... Oh welp.
    I didn't like the scales on your monkey-things. It looks too custom-brushy/ pasted-on-texture, and it stands out against the rest of the painting a bit too much. I think you shoulda just gone without them. It also like you've highlighted the spines on their backs a bit too much. I'm not sure, but something looks off there.
    -
    Other than that, everything looks so nice~ The concept was one of the strongest, the lighting is amazing... I can see why you're likely to win (:
    Also, I wanted to know, are you a pretty fast worker?

@zimzibar, dude, I loved your work. It was a simple but original and believable design. You didn't over-complicate it. I liked that. I think if you made it look more anatomically realistic it would have looked a little less cartoony. Still, great work! It seems like I say this to a lot of people but I'm looking forward to what you come up with next

@Dragonfrog, the perspective looks a bit all over the place as does the lighting. I want to help with those aspects but I'm really not the man for that... I've got so much to learn myself.
    I can help with one thing though! When you're rendering, try this: keep your brush hardness close to 100%, and add shading by messing around with the opacity of the brush and using the pipette tool. You'll get a more painterly, textured look.

@kingkostas, I had a hard time deciding whether or not to vote for you... I mean I thought your concept was pretty simple but it was subtly good, and well, your rendering was fantastic, so overall I think your submission was the best one. However, your little guy just looks unfinished. Bits of him are blurry and transparent, and those bits are kind of hard on my eyes.

@me, myself, & me again, nice, original concept (I gotta say I really liked it), and you followed the brief very well. I'm not certain but I think the perspective is a bit off...? I feel the wall should have been a lot closer to the creature. You got the lighting around the neck and body spot on, but I'm not quite o convinced by the rest of it.

@Logistic Puppet, you got my vote because I really liked you art style and the amount of detail you put in to your creature. The design of the creature could have used a lot more work though. The concept, while original and pretty cool, didn't really seem like it had anything to do with the brief. From the image I can't tell that it's a tiny or furious creature. It is VERY terrifying though
    I think the execution of our work was very similar, and we made very similar mistakes i think (you're totally my art-twin).

@strangedawn, nice rendering, and you depicted the subject matter pretty well. I think maybe the composition of your picture was a bit boring...? I can't talk because I did the same thing but having the subject in the dead center doesn't help the image to look better in this case. It's arguable though.

@David Ray, ...I can't top what scorge did for you... :p Good job though, design-wise, your work was good.

@jrbarker, hoo hoo, you've got skillllzzzz. Your final version you did was much much better, I can't really make any criticisms of it. All i have to say is: good job!

@blitzanger, Definitely one of the more original concepts. I wasn't too convinced with the elephant texture you used... it looks a bit forced. As for your creature, I think you did a pretty good job of it. I'd say you needn't draw in all the plumage on the bird, just suggest to it being there like with highlights or something. The way you did it flattens the look of the bird a great deal. It was also kind of hard to tell where those spikes/claws were coming from it's body. As it is, it looks like it was just plonked on the image without too much thought.

@cericke, interesting creature! I'd be really freaked out for sure if I came across an eyeball plucking monster bird. Structurally, the creature could use more work (think about how the bones and muscles would make up the creature).

@mcghoul, the creature is composed very nicely, but next time think about the values and the construction of the creature is a bit more. The shading around the tail/it's bum looks off. Next time, get started earlier and post lots of different sketches of the concept before rushing in to the final piece.

45. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Taiski For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.