It's almost time for Sheridan Students!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: It's almost time for Sheridan Students!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It's almost time for Sheridan Students!

Come September, we're all coming back to school! Personally, I'm starting my first year in the Animation Course, and as of right now I'm still actively looking for a place to live/people who are looking for room mates- so in that thought I'm hoping I can get a "last minute preparations" thread going so that no one else is caught off guard when September rolls around!

Things to think about:

1- Are you all caught up with OSAP/Other Government Loans?
    When it comes to me, I've been up to date with OSAP when it comes to their deadlines and whatnot. But as of this moment on the "Current Status" part of the site, it says "Check back Mid-June". Now obviously, it's the starting of July, so I called them and all they said was that all the applications have been processed and to just keep checking the website to view the status. Needless to say, I'm a little worried. Has anyone else heard back?

2-Have you decided if you're going to commute or move out?
    Some people will definitely be able to commute, and I'm a little more than envious of them!
    Unfortunately as of right now, I live in Oshawa- and I don't really want to be commuting six hours a day just to attend classes, so I've been actively looking for rooms/apartments. My girlfriend is also looking to move out with me- she's a Culinary student at George Brown and wouldn't mind the commute (or even cooking for you guys if you ask nicely!!). Over the last few weeks we haven't really had any callbacks or anything, so we're a little worried. If there's anyone out there looking for a couple of nice, friendly, neat room mates, please don't hesitate to send me a PM/Add me on Skype/Send me an E-mail! All of that information is in my profile.

3-Have you been up to date with Sheridan Payments?
    I went for the paying the $300 deposit option because I've been hoping OSAP would be coming. But as of right now, I still haven't hear anything, so I'm still a little worried!

4-Is there any other things you think you may have missed?
    Honestly, I'm sure I may have even forgotten some stuff. If you feel like there's something you may have missed, don't hesitate to ask.

If you have any questions you feel that should be answered, just leave a post and I'll do my best to help! And if you know anyone who can help me out as well, that would be fantastic!

-Vent

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GetVent View Post

Things to think about:

1- Are you all caught up with OSAP/Other Government Loans?
    When it comes to me, I've been up to date with OSAP when it comes to their deadlines and whatnot. But as of this moment on the "Current Status" part of the site, it says "Check back Mid-June". Now obviously, it's the starting of July, so I called them and all they said was that all the applications have been processed and to just keep checking the website to view the status. Needless to say, I'm a little worried. Has anyone else heard back?

2-Have you decided if you're going to commute or move out?
    Some people will definitely be able to commute, and I'm a little more than envious of them!
    Unfortunately as of right now, I live in Oshawa- and I don't really want to be commuting six hours a day just to attend classes, so I've been actively looking for rooms/apartments. My girlfriend is also looking to move out with me- she's a Culinary student at George Brown and wouldn't mind the commute (or even cooking for you guys if you ask nicely!!). Over the last few weeks we haven't really had any callbacks or anything, so we're a little worried. If there's anyone out there looking for a couple of nice, friendly, neat room mates, please don't hesitate to send me a PM/Add me on Skype/Send me an E-mail! All of that information is in my profile.

3-Have you been up to date with Sheridan Payments?
    I went for the paying the $300 deposit option because I've been hoping OSAP would be coming. But as of right now, I still haven't hear anything, so I'm still a little worried!

4-Is there any other things you think you may have missed?
    Honestly, I'm sure I may have even forgotten some stuff. If you feel like there's something you may have missed, don't hesitate to ask.

If you have any questions you feel that should be answered, just leave a post and I'll do my best to help! And if you know anyone who can help me out as well, that would be fantastic!

-Vent
    For me, I'm "going back" to school lol. I swore when I finished school before I was never going back... weeeelllll. I've been working, doing zombie stuff, and trying not to be zombified by a horribly dry job. I hope having August off of work is enough time to make me feel alive again

1) I had to paperfile an Alberta student loan because the Animation program wasn't available on the online application. 6-8 weeks YAY *eyeroll*. I know they have my application, I can see my status online and it says "pending review" and I'm just like "oh please oh please oh please".

2) I'm commuting from Hamilton and I'm moving from Edmonton to Hamilton on August 1st. My apartment is getting loaded this weekend and shipped off on Monday. Stress *remembers to breathe*. I couldn't find a place in Oakville where I could dump an entire apartment full of furniture plus 2 cats and then believe student loan would pay for rent in the event I couldn't get a roomate or two to help with costs. Everything looked really expensive since I was moving in from far out of town. I figured they'd look more favourably on a request that showed a lower rent cost and a train pass. Would you believe that even with the rent in Hamilton PLUS the train pass, it's still cheaper than just RENT in Edmonton? Jebus. I have a 1bdrm in Hamilton right now, but am not using the bedroom as of yet (not taking my bedroom furniture - selling it instead. I have a super couch) so if anyone is up for cheap rent, is cool with commuting, and wants to claim the bedroom before money falls out of the sky for me to buy a bed and I set up shop in it totally PM me!

3) I did the $300 deposit too. Asked 3 times if it was okay for an Alberta student to do that (in case someone gave me a different answer - because the website said differently) got yes 3 times from Finance... so I figured it was safe ;;;. They might have gotten tired of me just a little...

4) Can't think of anything right now... so focussed on actually GETTING out there first of all. PHEW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I'm going into art fundamentals in sept. Everythings all sorted out with the money and where I'm staying. I just need someone to tell me what the classes are like, do we have to bring in a lot of supplies or is the work done at home and we go to lectures? I'm so confused and it would help me a lot if someone could give me some help. Also, I haven't gotten my enrollment time yet so can someone tell me what the electives are like or if we just take english and the art courses?? x)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (Posted this in the big Sheridan Info thread as well)

I know it's still a little early, but I figured I'd post this up now, since people seem eager to prepare for the year!
    I'm looking to sell my English text book for first year Animation and Illustration (it's the same course for both) "Composition and Rhetoric". The book is called "The Well-Crafted Argument" and is in excellent condition (it looks brand new!) and comes with the APA style guide and essential ref booklets. The bookstore sells it New for almost 140$, and used for about $105. I'm asking 80$ for a brand new looking textbook, if anyone's interested just drop me a PM

Last edited by Sacari; July 16th, 2011 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh no, not another English textbook to buy! A tip I have for all the art fundamentals students is don't buy the essential communications textbook because you don't even have to use it. Save your money for art supplies or groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyfluke View Post
    Hey, I'm going into art fundamentals in sept. Everythings all sorted out with the money and where I'm staying. I just need someone to tell me what the classes are like, do we have to bring in a lot of supplies or is the work done at home and we go to lectures? I'm so confused and it would help me a lot if someone could give me some help. Also, I haven't gotten my enrollment time yet so can someone tell me what the electives are like or if we just take english and the art courses?? x)
    I took art fundies last year so I can answer your questions. The first semester was really good; they'll teach you all the basics from the very beginning. The workload in second semester gets annoying because it was portfolio time and they start giving out bigger homework projects, but you do a lots of cool stuff in second semester like life painting from the model, architectural rendering (with pen) and 3D super sculpty figure. Also if you want to get into animation I recommend getting an animation tutor and a life drawing tutor. They ended up saving my ass and I learned more from them about the animation requirements than in class. And if you're aiming for illustration tutors still help.

As for supplies you get an art kit which has EVERYTHING you need and lasts the whole year, but you also need to buy extra colored pencils because they don't give you the right colors and tons of newsprint, paints and clay.

The electives are the worst in art fundamentals. Essential communications was hell to sit through. Easy marks, but boring, pointless material. The elective starts in second semester and has lots of homework you need to keep up with if you want to pass. I know a lot of people who failed their elective.

Overall it's a fun program, but you have to put in a lot of work if you want to gain anything. It's deceptively basic and slacking at first, but if you don't keep up with your work or start your portfolio before December you'll be screwed in second semester when the heat picks up. I still remember the panic a week before portfolios, lots of people didn't even start yet. Everyone I know who got in animation were already finished their portfolio long before the due date and were able to spend the last week improving their weak pieces. Be the successful student and finish early so you can get crits and make changes. You can actually be a crappy artist going into art fundies and by the end be awesome enough to get into the program you want if you just do all your work (including the "dumb" homework), maintain a good attitude throughout the program and seek help from the right people (like teachers and students who know more than you do).

Another really important lesson I learned is take everything you hear with a grain of salt. Every teacher comes from a different area of expertise which is great because they have their different opinions on certain things. Listen to everything they say because it will be important, but always question. See if it applies to what you're doing. It will do you no good to blindly follow someones advice when it does not apply to you. Learn to distinguish art principles from techniques. For example my imaging systems teacher was a really good designer and I have high respect for him, but his viewpoint on what line quality should be was sorta going against what I found in animation drawings. His technique worked great for designs, but when it came to drawing cartoons, I used more of the approach I learned in life drawing. I'm pointing this out because a lot of people were confused by the conflicting advice and thought some of the teachers were hacks, but I realized the teachers were just trying to show a variety of techniques that worked best for them. Eventually we were supposed to choose which worked best for us and roll with it, unfortunately not many people came to this conclusion...

Well I hope this helps someone out and remember to have fun while you're there because this is art school, not advanced calculus, plus there's lots of cool students you can hang out with and draw crazy shit together. Best school year ever IMO, hopefully animation will be even better!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to visoutre For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you SO much for that Visoutre!!

I have a question for you, how do we go about finding tutors from the animation/illustration program? Is there somewhere around campus we could find them? Or did you just bump into some and ask if they'd be willing to tutor you for a certain price?

How much did it end up costing you? Lol

Thanks again for all of that information , so useful. I've heard that there are life drawing sessions basically every night of the week? Is that true? Are they hard to get into?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you have to wait 2 weeks after classes start before you can get a tutor. Then you can go here and there's a link for an online application form to fill out. You'll get an email eventually saying they found a tutor for you. So bring your $20 to the career center and they hook you up with the tutor. I ended up paying $60 because I got an imaging systems tutor and life drawing tutoring for both semesters, but it's worth it considering how much the tuition costs.

That's how you get an official tutor, otherwise if you're friends with some animation/illustration students they might help you for free. Keep in mind they're busy and can't answer every question. I found the official tutors the best because you get a solid 10 hours to talk to them with whatever you want and they're getting paid by the school, so in the end everyone wins. Since so many people get life drawing tutors it's a group tutoring session with less 1-on-1, but the advantage is you get 1-4 different tutors critiquing your life drawings with different opinions.

As for life drawing, it's only on Monday-Thursday nights for art fundies students. Man from what I remember before the portfolios due date it's ALWAYS crowded during the beginning of the session. Fortunately people leave quick so you will get a seat after the model takes their break halfway through, but it sucks if you want to get into animation because the gesture poses are during the first bit.

Also I have some tips for life drawing, just keep in mind I'm not the greatest at life drawing. First off don't worry about making portfolio life drawings during the first semester because you'll probably suck at that point. It's okay though, everyone sucks at first, just practice A LOT and you will be semi-kick ass in second semester. Also as soon as second semester starts try to finish your portfolio quality life drawings right away because it will be harder to get into life drawing the closer you get to the portfolio deadline.

Keep in mind even though you have a life drawing class, the teacher can't teach you everything you need to know in the limited class time. You need to study stuff like anatomy and structure on your own from Vilppu, Michael Hampton, etc and apply what you're learning to the life drawings. There's no point going to life drawing if you're not studying from the books; you'll probably be wasting your time. There's also a lot of noob mistakes you will see people making like pressing too hard on the page, holding the conte wrong, not using conte at all, drawing stiff stick figure gestures instead of finding the line of action and C/S curves, drawing too small, etc. I could go on, but the best thing you can do is just go there as often as possible, study the figure drawing books and practice. You will get better for sure.

Also keep in mind it's a myth that figure drawing is the most important portfolio piece. If you look at the score sheet it isn't worth much. You can bomb your life drawings and still get in if you ace everything else. To be safe you should focus on your perspective skills to create baddass layouts and your cartooning skills for the character/storyboard since these are easy points. Personal artwork barely counts so don't waste time on that category (just throw in some more life drawings and cartoons) This is assuming you're going into animation of course, in fact I think for illustration life drawing and figures are the most important things. In illustration they don't even want to see cartoons...

I hope that answers all your questions. Everything else you will figure out eventually on your own. Whatever happens don't get stressed out. Some days you'll feel like crap and wonder if you should give up or wonder if you still have a chance. You might think everyone is better than you. You can't avoid these feelings and frankly most of them are delusional, but you can move on and continue improving until one day you realize you don't suck as much and the best feeling ever is finding out you got accepted. If you dont get accepted it isn't the end of the world, it just means you have to practice more and figure out what your weaknesses are (I think work ethic was the biggest killer for most people who had a chance but didnt get accepted). I've said as much as I can on this topic, good luck to everyone applying next year!

Last edited by visoutre; July 15th, 2011 at 07:10 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to visoutre For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 2