Art: Fire, Earth, Water, Air, Sex, Dragons &.. wait do you need anymore?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Fire, Earth, Water, Air, Sex, Dragons &.. wait do you need anymore?

So I have submitted here before, but it was very long ago early on in my artist immaturity. I have been a long time watcher and learner, but CA has some admittedly intimidating artists with incredible skill levels. My old stuff was rightly criticized, and I knew it, so I painted more. I got a little better, but just wasn't painting often enough. Eventually I gathered up the courage to buy a Cintiq, and now my production has sky-rocketed, I LOVE my Cintiq I finally have a decent amount of work to show and I hope you enjoy it. Everything here was done digitally in Photoshop. I will try and post in the order that everything was done so you can see the progression from the really old stuff on the bottom (The last one is my first serious digital painting EVAR). I have been painting seriously with the cintiq for about 5 months now, the first 9 paintings were all done in this 5 month span while all the older ones are far & few between.

(Keep in mind this is a PROGRESSION, so please do crit the first 8 or so paintings, but no need to re-crit some of the really old stuff near the bottom...I will probably never rework them as I prefer to move on to newer and cooler things!)

Chris Clark (a.k.a. Stoskri)
    blog: Clarkillustrations.Wordpress.com
    web: www.Clarkillustrations.com
    DeviantArt: stoskri.deviantart.com

Attached Images Attached Images                                  
    Last edited by arizonaicedtea; July 7th, 2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Added links, a little more info
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can definitely see amazing growth here! Were all these done in the 5 months? If its from newest to oldest, I can see you figured out that the use of black is BAD. It makes everything hard to read.

My only crit for your newer work is just to watch out for minor perspective and anatomy issues. For example, the very top image, his cheek bone is a little wonky. And then the second image (which is really good), the handle of the sword is faced in a way that it looks like it is laying down. But, as you move down the sword it looks like it is on the edge of the sword. (oh and also, just go back and check his muscle structure some parts are again wonky.)
    Hope that helps!, GL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment Ben! 10 paintings of these I believe were painted on the cintiq in the past 5 months, and yes they are in order of newest - oldest. I definitely agree with the sword hilt comment, I didn't even notice that but it should be in shadow so it looks like it's popping out. Also there were many anatomical bits in every painting I basically "winged" from imagination because I only had so much relevant reference, and I'm still getting the hang of faking certain minor areas :/ I'd love to go back to taking more life drawing classes some time soon! And yes, as much as I love the color black, I only go to 95% black sparingly now, and around 5-10% white, I definitely enjoy having the colors pop rather than just black & white.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some edits

Well I took your advice and edited the cheek a little, I also added the bowstring shadow to the piece because I think it makes it look more dynamic, and I desaturated the background to bring out the color/lighting more.

Anyone out there watching?

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are really nice, I'd say work on the faces and zoom out and take a look at alll the values to see if they work together. Also, a few of the gestures are a little stiff so work on that a bit, but otherwise super cool!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can definitely see the progression of skill. You've come a long way from the elephant guy. You have a ton of texture in your work and your color theory seems to be coming along as well. The biggest things I see holding you back at this point are three fold:
    First is anatomy. Although it appears to be improving, your faces need work and there are still some oddities in your anatomical structures (anatomy just takes time and lots of work). 2nd is perspective. I can see that you're trying to use it more but make sure that your angles are good before you start sketching to much. If you use the star shape with full depth and 99 points in Photoshop and save it as a Brush you can make a really easy to use perspective brush. There is also the build in Perspective tool. It is priceless especially when doing enviroments or funky camera angles with lots of depth. Third is shading. It is improving but push it farther. There seem to be a lot flat looking spots on your characters. Just push the lighting a little and this is an easy fix. Personally, I suggest rocking out some digital still lifes. They are quick and easy and you can learn a ton.

Over all though man, your work is showing serious improvement. Keep up the hard work!

In search of the mythical art job!

Gallery

Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good crits!

Thanks Yefim and WyckdNick for the crits and compliments! Large portions of these paintings were done completely out of my imagination and most of them I just did 1 or 2 quick sketches beforehand then spent around 8 hrs on average except for the ones with detailed backgrounds. I'm planning on doing some more sketching and studies of the world and everything in it, plus I'm attending a Life Drawing class this Sunday woot!

WyckdNick I will definitely try the perspective tools, I don't really use them except at work. Do you think you could point out some particular parts of an image that look flat to you and what you think needs to be darkened/lightened/changed in the shading?

Yefim I looked at your blog, you have some great work! I love your studies too, good reference to aspire to! I agree I really want some more movement out of images where they aren't just posed still, I really think I need to spend time finding and studying more reference of anatomy and such to help. Do you have any resources you use?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got great imagination in your pieces in here, with a few face and anatomy studies and a better understanding of color and light I'm sure you can make some beautiful pieces

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very, very cool. I dig the paints. I especially love the in your face World of Warcraft thing you got going here. Disgustingly impressive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RReally awesome work. Im new here so im scanning things kinda quick while im on the road, but I definitely will try to stay up to date with your work.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice
    this one made me smile
    even Satan gets shouted at by his mum if he doesnt take the rubbish out haha
    Fire, Earth, Water, Air, Sex, Dragons &.. wait do you need anymore?

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks so much!

Wow, at first no one was paying attention hardly at all, thanks everyone for all the positive feedback!

Hey I also have some new life drawing sketches I just posted to my blog if you want to check them out! I may post them on here eventually, but I'm just lazy right now bleh

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.