WIP Critiques appreciated
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP Critiques appreciated

I recently got Painter 11 and I've been messing with it and decided to work on a new character in my head. I'm trying to figure out how to clean it up more but I try "just add water" usually but it just picking up the one layer, smudging white everywhere.

Anything you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painter picks up transparencies as white. It's a giant pain.

I'm usually at my best when I mix painter and Photoshop, using each for what it does best, but then, I'm not that great at digital art, so...

Beyond that, do you have the character drawn under his clothes? If you have his pose set correctly and well drawn, you can use reference for the fabric to make it more convincing.

Painter's got a steep learning curve and will often make you a worse artist until you learn to master it. Lord knows, I haven't.

Please visit "The Shuttered City" webcomic at: www.LucreComics.com

To see my portfolio and other related artwork, please stop by: http://lucre.carbonmade.com/

My DeviantArt page: http://benjamin-the-fox.deviantart.com/[/url]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah Ben makes a good point about the learning curve. Look up some Painter tutorials online. Youtube has a lot of free things to watch. Try checking the tiny box 'avoid transparency' or something like that. That will keep your brush or smudger on the artwork u have and hopefully avoid going over the edge into the white and smearing it.

You shouldnt need to blend your costume anyway. Just add water is for things like plastic, smooth metal, and skin.

This is something I recommend here a lot. http://features.cgsociety.org/story_...?story_id=5152

This is a very large photoshop brush set. A lot of them were made specifically to mimic painter brushes. I've been using it ever since I found it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Fox: Yeah Painter is quite difficult so I have started touching up with GIMP (no money for photoshop). I've got a while to go to figure out how to use this properly, as you said.

Also yeah the character is drawn under the clothes but I haven't found a reference yet. It's a good idea to have one though, I look into it. Thanks!

@Artfix: Oh okay. Didn't know I could do that. Yeah I think I need to mess around and figure things out.

Been going through tutorials quite a bit however for some reason I tried Painter X and it responds a bit differently to my tablet in Painter 11. So I'm a little off-balance so to say.

Thanks for the brushes btw! I'll try and sync them to GIMP.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.