Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    For more specific topics how about using just quotes from books with a brief explanation of what is happening so that people who haven't read it can still participate.

For example:
    There was thunder in the air on the night I went to the deserted mansion atop Tempest Mountain to find the lurking fear. - H.P. Lovecraft 'The Lurking Fear'

or:
    "Are you enjoyin' yourselves, ladies?" he asked.
    They continued to giggle and told him they were having a good time, thank you. He was older than they were, much, much older, but he was charm itself, like something from a bygone age when fine manners and courtly gestures were worth something. The barman relaxed. With someone like this in the bar, it was going to be a good evening. - Neil Gaiman, 'Anansi Boys'

As far as more open ended topics, how about:
    One-eyed Jack goes all in
    Crossing the Rubicon
    The Mammoth Hunt
    The Call to Adventure
    Wizard's Naming Day
    The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
    mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all
    science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who
    can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,
    is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
    -Einstein

www.wolvescomic.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kafka Dreams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,855 Times in 2,092 Posts
    ive been reading the Dune books by frank herbert alot lately, and i would love to see anybody alses take on the subject. so i guess DUNE could be a topic?
    MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 411 Posts
    I'll tenth the motion to switch around between general and specific. I believe it's more realistic to have pretty specific briefs, and it's cool to see all the different ways people portray the same scene, but it's also neat to see what everyone will come up with from just one, evocative sentence.

My first thoughts when I heard this was getting started was that a brief would be a few-paragraphs-long excerpt from a book, covering one scene. Or a whole short story (like fairy tales).

'Illustration' is a pretty darn broad topic though. This is like all the options of all the weekly activities rolled into one. There's all sorts of different time periods, settings, styles, etc to be considered. I guess the focus of IoW will be on getting the narrative though eh?

There's some honest-to-goodness real art descriptions from wizards of the coast on ArtOrder, HERE.

[Edit] NickyBeats, I think an entire book series is a bit broad of a subject don't you? Though maybe that's not what you meant.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lovecraft always makes for great illustrations. Reworkings of classical fairy tales, even redesigning existing movies like Lord of the Rings etc. It would be an interesting challenge to design something that fits well into an already existing universe.

I also vote for variety as far as descriptions go
    >>Sketchbook<<

Tumblr
    www.adamkootbascomb.com

It's progress, NOT perfection.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Corlan View Post
    NickyBeats, I think an entire book series is a bit broad of a subject don't you? Though maybe that's not what you meant.
    Not sure about a series, but it might be a cool challenge to try an occasional book cover. Take a classic book, and try to come up with one image that condenses the gestalt of it into a cover and makes people want to read it...

(Maybe the brief contains a short synopsis of the book for those who haven't read it.)

Actually, the first "Dune" book would be a good one for a book cover challenge...

POW recently did Frankenstein, how about Dracula? Making a really fresh version of that would be tough.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Not sure about a series, but it might be a cool challenge to try an occasional book cover. Take a classic book, and try to come up with one image that condenses the gestalt of it into a cover and makes people want to read it...

(Maybe the brief contains a short synopsis of the book for those who haven't read it.)
    True, Duh. Yeah that would be cool. I guess it wouldn't really be all that broad. Not sure what I was thinking.

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus
    Thanks
    Just a quick thought, but for the realy open briefs, maybe we could just keep things realy simple, very much like 'last man standing' competitions, or with maybe one or two rules, eg; must have a certain dimentional size or shape, illustration must be suitable for children/adults, an illustration about dragons that doesnt have a dragon in, etc..

Thanks
    Oh lord, fantastic, im loving this new challenge thread!

They all sound great, im going to sit in the dark corner and let things unfold.
    maybe chapter illustrations of these podcasts?
    (currently listening to them all again, im imagining it would fit rather snuggly into the longer challenges, but its live media, and its a live world! )
    my book o' doodles

Interested in some Team CHOW? i'm all for it :3

Thanks

Thumbs down

"thanks" for acknowledging that this was an idea I personally brought up to the Mods and even asked to be the mod for this challenge of the week... "thanks to the MODs that i sent a PM with this idea who never cared to reply and still go with this idea after... thanks CA guys, makes me very very welcome at this forum... imo this is total douchbaggery going on...

This makes me wanna say some unkind words towards MODS of ca but lets see what i get in response to this first...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    this is great! when you guys starting this up?

couple of things...

i really dig the idea that this would be a more long form contest. at least 2 weeks. the problem i've seen in my time running cow though is that once you get over the week length of the challenge, some people miss the deadline simply because they forgot when it was. its just a weird side effect of longer contests. not saying you shouldn't do a longer format. its just that you should expect this kind of thing to happen.

second... just a suggestion that the first contest is for the front page rules image like all the other weeklies have. always fun when people know they can get their stuff seen on the front of these contests.

and thirdly...a topic suggestion... the never ending story!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    I think any topic is just fine, like in chows, also i think one week per illustration is more then enough. I think that people need to practice to work faster, think faster and to deliver quality work within 7 days. This way you will make you future client very happy. And if someone gives you two weeks, imagine what you can do with that time

M

19. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Yeah I think M is on to something. These challenges are meant tohelp us push ourselves to get ready for real life deadlines. So I change my vote to sticking with the weekly time frame.

Thanks
    How about ChaseTheHedgehog learns to draw? That would be a fantastic illustration.
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/robertshirley

Looking for professional work (both freelance and full time opportunities)!

Inquiries: Robertshirleyart@gmail.com

Thanks
    Those real WotC briefs were really enlightning. I'm not a professional so I wouldn't know of the actual demands of the business but I know I want to be able to work faster. So keeping it at a week and varying in detail of the descriptions is fine by me.

What I haven't seen mentioned is style. I get it that most illustrators develop their own style but don't you occasionally get requests that a piece should be done in particular style? How would you feel if that was a requirement once in a while? I'm talking like every 10-20th challenge.
    Niklas Hildebrand
    Criticism is always welcomed!
    My deviantArt gallery

Thanks
    I actually really like FunnyFace's suggestion of switching up styles a little. It's a self discovery process, in my opinion, to kind of switch gears in terms of technique and design so it opens up new elements and whatnot. Like, paint in the subject of Rococo and take a spin off of there.

But honestly, this is an illustration of the week, there shouldn't be like a set definition of what to illustrate. Anything can be illustrated, a word, phrase, song (I suggest a song illustration! How does one paint the Blue Rhapsody of my homeboy Gershwin?) and a lot of other things.

You've got famous things like Christ (death, rebirth, passion, kiss of judas and the list goes on and on) and anything Greco-Roman myth-related (anything with the word Herakles in it)

I really hope people like song illustration. I was thinking more along the lines of creating a duality between the music and its subject, either by genre (Impressionist music would be like, illustrate with the ideals of Impressionism), or subject matter (like the madrigal, Fair Phyllis, literally illustrate Fair Phyllis (sitting alone on top of the mountainside), or what you get out of the movement (like, what is Dvorak's 9th Symphony (New World Symphony), 4th mvt. about), or even illustrate the scene the music is from (like, illustrate the Flower Duet, which is from the opera, Lakme).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast