Spartan Camp #189 - 50 gestures + Optional "Free Choice Muscle Study"

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 662 Posts

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 10th of July.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Free Choice Muscle Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

Basic knowledge of anatomy is invaluable in figure drawing, hence this optional study! Because of the complexity of the human body and the large number of muscles, we will stick to one muscle this week. You can choose any muscle, but the larger ones with major functions are obviously most suitable. Examples: Latissimus dorsi, External oblique, Deltoid, Trapezius, Sternocleidomastoid, etc.
    This does not have to be an elaborately detailed study, but consider a few things:

What is the muscle's function? Is it an extensor or flexor? To which bones does this muscle attach? What movement results from muscle activity?

And also: what is the muscle's name? Putting a name to it helps you remember.
    You will need reference this round!

Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!
    50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Sharing critique is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #188

Anthis
    Angel_Intheuk
    Samming

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Started out with Bridgman studies of the Biceps. I thought the biceps only flexes the forearm, but it can also rotate the radius (thumb side of forearm) outward. Which is something I didn't know.
    Then tried and confirmed it for myself with some studies using a mirror. Think I learned a couple of new things.

Also a few studies of unsuspecting people.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    got some bridgman studies too, first time I studied him and it was fun

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadlyhamster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Deadlyhamster - Quiet in here this week! Picking up Bridgman is a good choice, it's a great learning tool. Remember though - it's a learning tool! Make sure you are never simply copying poses. Occasionally (top right one 5th page, bottom right and left one 7th page, female pose in 4th page) you lose track of the proportions, which leads me to believe you were focusing on the reference too much. Most of these are pretty good though; loose but deliberate. Fun to see some posemaniacs in between using some of Bridgman's methods!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for the good advice and remembers, yeah your right about I'm focusing to much on copying but I tried to get comfortable with bridgman hes technique. In a couple days I will try to start using bridgman technique on reference photo's from gestures so I will learn to apply hes information.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlyhamster For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1