Thanks

Need a better chair

Can anyone recommend me a good chair for art?

I have three different chairs at the moment. One is a big computer chair that's more comfortable than the others but the cushion is gone and it's not that practical for drawing. Another is a bit smaller and more practical, but it hurts to sit on for more than a few hours. Then there is something like a piano stool which is nice for drawing, but with no back support i prefer it the least. They all suck and i need to get a new one by the end of the month because i am moving to study art.

Need something durable, with nice back-support, on wheels, not too big, and real practical for drawing.

I'd really to hear some chair advice from people who actually own or have owned the chair that they recommend. Thanks for the help.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hmm well I use an office chair with the arm supports taken out. My back/neck problems are more from bad posture than from the chair itself though, so I am not really an expert on chairs. I'd think anything with a back support, cushy buttrest, and wheels would do :p (and height adjustment.. because desks rarely come with that.)
    Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudcan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,555 Times in 2,765 Posts
    I have a couple of these in my office and studio and they have really saved my back and neck
    http://hermanmiller.com/Products/Aeron-Chairs

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Something worth keeping in mind is that you get what you pay for (excluding maybe fancy designer stuff). I bought a chair about 10 months ago thinking it was a bargain. When it arrived I was chuffed to bits as it seemed to be good quality and was very comfortable. 9 months later I lounged back into the soft padded leather, letting it embrace me like a warm lover. The feeling was lovely but suddenly cut short by a loud crack and the feeling that my world was about to end. The back rest was attached to the base of the chair by means of the arms and the area around the bolts that attached everything together had become brittle and snapped. I'm not going to deny that I'm quite a large fellow but never before have I broken a chair through means of normal use.

I suppose what I'm saying is what goes with everything, if the price seems to good to be true then it most certainly is.

dpaint, those are some rather snazzy looking chairs, I really want one now.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Try standing while you work.. it will blow your mind.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    cloudcan: my back is really the reason for me asking, though i'd like to think it's the chair to blame rather than my willingness to sit upright -___-

Something worth keeping in mind is that you get what you pay for
    ill be getting my loan money soon ^.^ so ill be looking to get a rather snazzy one.

Robert.B: I'm too tall to stand for my easel . but now that i think of it, with that loan money coming soon i think its time to get me snazzy easel as well any suggestions? been using this for the past 10 years or so.
    Need a better chair

i'm leaning towards this one but it seems a bit weird. anyone used something like this before??
    Need a better chair
    heres the link for it http://www.amazon.com/SynchroTilt-Pa...0192269&sr=1-6