Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Sketchbook of a teenager terrified of failure. Oh goodie.

Okay, so, I guess I'm doing this then.

Right then. I guess I'll dump you with my life story (it's not an essential read but it will help you understand where I'm at). My name's Frank, I'm from the UK and I'm 16. I'm also home educated.
    I've got very few memories of life before drawing or making art in some crude way or another. It was just something I did, I never got round to questioning it, or wondering why I did it, or if it was good enough. I was in that blissful stage where you don't hit yourself over the head every time you screw up.

Kept growing, kept drawing, and then long story short, for reasons that aren't really that important, I stopped drawing at the age of 13-14. Life started to feel like it was closing in on me, as it sometimes does at that age. Got rather in the way of my enjoyment.

During that time I played a lot of guitar. Played a lot of games. It was good. But I can't help but regret it a lot of the time for the fact I didn't draw. Because I'm a bit of a nostalgic bastard sometimes :L

Then, around october last year I picked up a pad and pencil again and started to draw. It was a pretty big effort and a quite on and off at first, but now I'm starting to love it again, which took quite a lot of commitment and time. I guess I'd built up a pretty big mental barrier against it, I don't know. It was hard to start the ball rolling again basically.

Now I draw every day, I choose to do it and I want to do it. It gets easier every time to get past the fear of failure. But I still get scared, and it's stopping me from drawing a lot of the time. This is probably what I want to overcome.

Part of the reason I wanted to start this, was to face up to my fear of sucking, to get advice, and to try and learn what everyone else was doing. Conformity is a lot less scary than wandering off on your own without a hand to guide you when you don't really know what you're doing.

One thing you should know is I've never delved into colour in any real depth at all. This is another thing I hope I can get help with. I'm in the process of getting photoshop, but I do have access to it.

If you can show me to any places I can learn, if you can tell me anything I should be doing, and possibly how to do it, I will do it. I'm very eager to get better. I intend to post all of my crap and failed attempts in the future, but for now I'll just present to you the stuff I'm happy with.

One other thing I should add is these are all referenced. I don't do much drawing from my imagination, again, fear of failure kicks in and I don't do it. But I do do it sometimes, I'll upload it all as it happens hopefully.

I don't know how consistent these posts will be, hopefully daily. Anyway. I'm postponing this. Have a look :L (I only have my crappy webcam to take pictures with. Sorry for poor quality on some of them... And my hands.)

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That's an amazing start! Please post more soon. Afraid I don't have any concrit.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Umbravita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your starting off quite well! It's a good move to start off with studies and drawings from life. If your able to, some instructional books will help you quite a bit as well such as Loomis if you can find them. Draw from life as much as you can.

One crit I can give you is to be careful with your measurements. There are a few proportion problems, but they can be fixed with study and more drawing.

Also, don't be frightened! Your young, your starting strong! Just use your time to learn and draw!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sulk-Sal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, dude, nice studies, i love your shading in those! basically the only way to get better at drawing is of course drawing, keeping a balance between life/imaginative and referenced studies but here is an awesome thread put together by Sorknes that is full of information on how to get a great start:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=175485

just keep at it!

Life is a cookie

come take a look -> sketchbook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to moving.pictures For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks to everyone who's responded so far All very encouraging. I'll be posting new stuff at some point, hopefully today. Might be slow however. That first picture of the face I'm still working on. I'd like to get it finished, and I daren't turn over to another page lest it smudge, so it might just consist of that but taken a bit further. Maybe I'll begin another into another sketchbook on the side to keep me sane.

Also I appear to have lost my only pencil longer than an inch. Perhaps the universe is telling me to branch out? Or maybe it's just taking the piss.

Thanks to Umbravita, gave me quite a boost this morning ^^

I do definitely know what you mean there, Sulk-sal. Something I've been meaning to work on. Helps to have it pointed out though Thanks for the comment

Thanks also to Moving ^^ I'll take some time to read that link

Thanks
    This is about as much as I can do of this face without going insane. It was fun to do, however it gradually started to drill into my will to go on. I would have probably been okay if I'd have broken it up with other projects, or bits on the side, but I didn't manage it so well. Once you've done half, I imagine you can just flip it round for the other side :L I hope that's the case anyway.

As I neared the "end" issues became more obvious, but I'd dug in too deep to change anything too drastically. Feel free to suggest anything I could have done to improve it though, I could very possibly not have noticed some problems. I should probably sketch these things out in full before I start but I struggle to retain interest when doing so for some reason..

Oh well, here it is. I've edited it a bit, but only to try and make it look a bit more as it does in real life, rather than just through my crappy built in webcam :L I will now relish doing something else :L
    Hopefully I'll have some more sketches up before the day is through, or in the early hours if that's how it turns out. Any suggestions on exercises or studies I could work on perhaps?

This was referenced from the book "Anatomy for the Artist" by Sarah Simblet, in case you're interested by the way

Thanks
    Hey all A few arm studies.

The first page is all studied from either photos or other drawings. The ones on top right, bottom left and right on the first are slightly faster drawings done from a tutorial video. And the second page is me trying to take my new found knowledge for a spin with some imagined stuff. The hand is a bit horrendous I'll admit. As is most of it, but it's fun and useful to try and draw from imagination

This documentation of my work really gives me an incentive to try and make more art Really useful I MIGHT have some more stuff up tonight or in the early hours, probably just structureless doodles though.

Thanks
    A bit of nude work. I hope this isn't in some way frowned upon Got a bit caught up in a picture and decided to commit to drawing it properly. Took me a fair bit of time, all good though.

Some hints, she wasn't "adorned" with a jumper. Or a sweater. It was a kind of... Shirt. Thing. Nor was she wearing gloves, I just decided to violently block out the hands in an attempt to make them look less contorted and horrible.

I did say I'd upload something in the wee hours. Now, time for some sleep. Not a huge chance of much sketching or drawing to be done tomorrow.

Thanks
    I'm just gonna flat out say that you sound EXACTLY like me at the moment . Its not even funny how similar your situation is based on your intro post. Except I still keep up with the music. You would be surprised how relieving it is to rehearse or even just practice when you are getting aggravated with your art. I don't know if you still play but seriously, keep it up. It really does help your art in the long run, since we work best when we're relaxed, and music (for most people) is very relaxing because it doesn't give us the time to worry about our perceived shortcomings. Music is never a waste.

As for your work, you're off to an excellent start. The detail you go into is excellent, just watch out for the underlying structure of things. Some of your faces seem a little off. Always think of structure first then put the distinct features over that. Keep it up! I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread. Nice to know other people have the same issues ain't it?

>>Sketchbook<<

Tumblr
    www.adamkootbascomb.com

It's progress, NOT perfection.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey there, Ghast I can tell you safely I still keep up with the music It's still a very strong passion of mine, and whilst I love art and want to build on it, I would just be doing the same thing over again if I dropped music for it If anything, my music is still growing Thinking of taking up the cello soon :L

And I just read you play the cello. Well blow me down :L

I know exactly what you mean as well, I can draw for much longer if I have music on I find I clog up and get a block way faster if I don't
    Also, it is indeed very nice to know people go through the same stuff :L You end up thinking you're a unique specimen of failure and no one can help you sometimes :L

Thanks for the comment as well! Always encouraging to receive feedback

Should have some more stuff up soon enough Love your stuff as well by the way I'll have a look ^^

Thanks
    Hey people, I'm posting this a tad earlier than I expected (wanted to draw more, may post later). The thing is that I really need some good anatomy recourses. I'm flailing around the internet trying to find something solid that I can really get to know, and I'm not finding it D: I know there's sites like Pose Maniacs, but it's not exactly what I'm look for right now, also heard people making fuss of some anatomical errors involved in it.

So yeah, if anyone can give me some links to help me learn anatomy that would be great

Here we have imagined faces. Lots of fast, imagined faces. Almost none of which I'm pleased with on any level. I suppose it was fun to scribble them in, and keep it loose and open, but the result just looked directionless and uninformed basically every time D:

The second picture is a mix of study and imagination. Referenced: Arm top right, quick sketch top left, face middle. Imagination: Everything else. Bear in mind most of these were really quite fast. I wasn't really lingering.

Would have drawn more today but I've been out for most of it (and no, sadly not the kind of "out" where it's easy to draw, though I did try.). Also had my aunt over tonight. Not much chance to get anything done...

Might have some more stuff on tonight. And yeah. Anatomy links/help/advice if you know of any, people!

Thanks
    Thanks for checking out my sketchbook! I'm liking what I see here! You just gotta keeeeep puuuushing! Don't stop!

I'll be checking back

"If you aren't failing then you aren't learning."
    www.CLINTKISOR.com
    clintkisor@gmail.com
    SKETCHBOOK
    Twitter :: Google+ :: Facebook
    AVAILABLE FOR FREELANCE

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Clint Kisor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Damn.. Hoped to get this in before the day was through... Oh well, it's near enough.

Just some more muscle studies. Trying to figure out the torso. Will probably move back to arms. Not been able to do much art today, should be able to churn out more than this... Will probably scribble some more down over the next half hour or so... If only to satisfy my huge fan base

Should have more up within the hour.

Feed back, as always, is much appreciated. As are recourses, tips, hints, links, anything you can think of that would help me progress

Hopefully I'll get round to scanning these in at some point rather than just taking crap low quality webcam pictures.

I do believe this is my Sketchbook. Take a look, feedback and anything that will help is always appreciated!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.