Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,502
    Thanks
    3,149
    Thanked 6,555 Times in 2,765 Posts

    Anybody currently working in Game Dev using macs?

    Anybody currently working in Game Dev using macs?
    I've only ever used PC's in any of the companies I've work for. How about the rest of you? I'm only interested in Game Dev not film or tv


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Randis's Avatar
    Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Bucharest/Berlin
    Posts
    2,588
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    Many of those who develop for ipad, iphone and mac use mac. (tho most people this days run dual OS on their macs)

    For those who do purely illustration work or concept art it hardly matters what OS they use. Those who are involved in the actual game development (3D, texture work, animation, GUI and all the other in-game assets) use PC, simply because most of the game engines run on PC and most of the 3D apps and plugins are for PC.
    I know a couple artists who are die hard mac fans and use macs at home, why? i dunno.
    Last edited by Randis; July 4th, 2011 at 06:41 PM.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,341
    Thanks
    533
    Thanked 528 Times in 305 Posts
    Game development is usually PC-centric (excluding pads, and phones operating systems); however, Talking code you could try to cross-platform.


    simple C++ish pseudo-code:

    IF it is MAC
    {
    run these <libraries> AND OR this code
    stuff to make it run and run well on mac
    }
    ELSE IF it is PC
    {
    run these <libraries> AND OR this code
    stuff to make it run and run well on PC
    }


    MAIN()
    {

    CLASSES AND FUNCTIONS GO HERE. (game goes here theoretically)

    return 0;
    }

    It's a bit more complicated then this but like stated above it's a simple pseudo-code.

    Macs usually use objective C (at least for programming on the mobile platforms) for their programs, while PCs use C or C++, But language rarely matters unless you use assembly language or something.
    Last edited by Flashback; July 4th, 2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: editing
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

    Flashback's SB

    Anatomy Atlas

    Digital Galleries

    Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    864
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked 230 Times in 143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Game development is usually PC-centric (excluding pads, and phones operating systems); however, Talking code you could try to cross-platform.


    simple C++ish pseudo-code:

    IF it is MAC
    {
    run these <libraries> AND OR this code
    stuff to make it run and run well on mac
    }
    ELSE IF it is PC
    {
    run these <libraries> AND OR this code
    stuff to make it run and run well on PC
    }


    MAIN()
    {

    CLASSES AND FUNCTIONS GO HERE. (game goes here theoretically)

    return 0;
    }

    It's a bit more complicated then this but like stated above it's a simple pseudo-code.

    Macs usually use objective C (at least for programming on the mobile platforms) for their programs, while PCs use C or C++, But language rarely matters unless you use assembly language or something.
    (Apropo of nothing)

    God, I LOVE a good function. It's been years since I've done programming, but it's so elegant.
    MY SKETCHBOOK IS AWESOME
    karmiclychee.net

    EAT EARTH, DIG DEEP, DRINK WATER, GO TO SLEEP, YOU SHOULD NOT BE WAKING.
    Peepul: Tulokyn :: Nakhon :: Deadlyhazard :: raminafshafari
    :: Mr. Magic

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    HELLsinki, Finland
    Posts
    4,853
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Hmm, well my place does iOS/mobile games and honestly pretty much everyone I've seen (programmers, artists, designers, those who're in range of my sight) uses PCs, unless they're required to move around a lot (usually marketing), in which case they tend to have Mac laptops.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,502
    Thanks
    3,149
    Thanked 6,555 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Hey thanks for the replies so far. My question stems from someone telling me that pc's are no longer being used as much because of iphone, Ipad and web Dev... I looked up the numbers and found those platforms account for less than 10 % of the total game market. My own experience says pc dev still dominates so I thought I would ask the community. I know it is still antecdotal but I'm curious now if there is a mac revolution in game dev. The iphone games I worked on were still developed with pc dev equipment.

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    2,337
    Thanks
    1,074
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Even in the mobile/iPad/web world, a lot of the programmers still seem to stick to PCs, at least the ones I've worked with... (Though I do know one who uses a Mac, don't ask me why.) Conversely the art people in the mobile/iPad/web world seem to lean heavily towards Macs, in my experience. I can't think of many art people I know in that field who aren't on Macs...

    I'm not sure why this is... Aside from having a means of testing on whatever device(s) you're developing for, I don't think it makes a significant difference what platform is used in development for mobile and web stuff (especially since a lot of it is developed to be cross-platform anyway.)

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dioscorida
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
    One of the senior programmers at Bethesda Game Studios is a Mac enthusiast, but I suspect his workstation is a PC.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cartogriffi For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,341
    Thanks
    533
    Thanked 528 Times in 305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Hey thanks for the replies so far. My question stems from someone telling me that pc's are no longer being used as much because of iphone, Ipad and web Dev... I looked up the numbers and found those platforms account for less than 10 % of the total game market. My own experience says pc dev still dominates so I thought I would ask the community. I know it is still antecdotal but I'm curious now if there is a mac revolution in game dev. The iphone games I worked on were still developed with pc dev equipment.
    The computer does not matter when your making an algorithm, the program structure.

    The number 1, in the PC is the same as Mac.
    C++, or Visual Basic, or python, or Lisps are the same language and same structure, however, the some libraries, or other proprietaries software or code PC and Mac uses might differ. Resulting in compiler errors and the such.

    Console, AKA command-line, programs:
    for Mac "Hello World!" program
    C++
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    
    using namespace std;
    int main (int argc, char * const argv[])
    {
         cout << "hello world!" << endl;
         return 0;
    }
    for PC "Hello World!" program
    C++
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    
    using namespace std;
    int main (int argc, char * const argv[])
    {
         cout << "hello world!" << endl;
         return 0;
    }
    These should compile the same way on PC or Mac.
    The reason most programs will not compile on a PC or Mac is that the programs are written specially for the environment they are used in.

    Example


    C++ PC
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    
    using namespace std;
    int main (int argc, char * const argv[])
    {
         cout << "hello world!" << endl;
         system("PAUSE");
         return 0;
    }
    ^
    |
    -----This code will no longer compile in Mac.
    system("PAUSE") this command is for window/dos system, so Mac OS computer does not understand what this means.

    The library "windows.h" is a library for windows programming not Mac, so a Mac programmer would need to re-write the code and make it compatible with the Mac environment. and Visa versa of course.

    PS: Programming on an Ipad doesn't sound too comfortable.
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

    Flashback's SB

    Anatomy Atlas

    Digital Galleries

    Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,502
    Thanks
    3,149
    Thanked 6,555 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    The computer does not matter when your making an algorithm, the program structure.

    The number 1, in the PC is the same as Mac.
    C++, or Visual Basic, or python, or Lisps are the same language and same structure, however, the some libraries, or other proprietaries software or code PC and Mac uses might differ. Resulting in compiler errors and the such.

    Console, AKA command-line, programs:
    for Mac "Hello World!" program
    C++
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    
    using namespace std;
    int main (int argc, char * const argv[])
    {
         cout << "hello world!" << endl;
         return 0;
    }
    for PC "Hello World!" program
    C++
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    
    using namespace std;
    int main (int argc, char * const argv[])
    {
         cout << "hello world!" << endl;
         return 0;
    }
    These should compile the same way on PC or Mac.
    The reason most programs will not compile on a PC or Mac is that the programs are written specially for the environment they are used in.

    Example


    C++ PC
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    
    using namespace std;
    int main (int argc, char * const argv[])
    {
         cout << "hello world!" << endl;
         system("PAUSE");
         return 0;
    }
    ^
    |
    -----This code will no longer compile in Mac.
    system("PAUSE") this command is for window/dos system, so Mac OS computer does not understand what this means.

    The library "windows.h" is a library for windows programming not Mac, so a Mac programmer would need to re-write the code and make it compatible with the Mac environment. and Visa versa of course.

    PS: Programming on an Ipad doesn't sound too comfortable.
    I'm no programmer, and all this confuses me, but I heard the Ipad is C# code and macs use objective C which causes some problems when combining them with C++ code is this what you are talking about?

  18. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,341
    Thanks
    533
    Thanked 528 Times in 305 Posts
    Think of the programming languages as a language with different dialects.

    For example Latin-based languages would be Italian, French, Spanish, maybe little of English.

    C is a language, and other programmers decide to make their own offshoot, so we get Objective C, C#, and C++.

    While they are similar in their roots, they are completely different.

    Like translate Spanish to Italian. roots are the same but it still two different languages.

    Even closer take the word "color" and "colour" while the idea is the same the spelling is different.
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

    Flashback's SB

    Anatomy Atlas

    Digital Galleries

    Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:


  20. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,177
    Thanks
    752
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    I'm no programmer, and all this confuses me, but I heard the Ipad is C# code and macs use objective C which causes some problems when combining them with C++ code is this what you are talking about?
    You can program in any language on any operating system as long as you have a compiler for that language/operating system. C, C#, Objective C, C++, PHP, Java, Fortran, etc. are high-level languages. The compiler takes the high-level language and translates it to machine code specific to that computer architecture. What language you use to program a game largely depends on

    - what compiler/programming environment/IDE is available for your operating system
    - what libraries are available on that operating system
    - what additional tools you have available (like game engines or graphics tools or interfaces) on that OS
    - how these things mesh together and how easy it is to combine them to do what you want to do and maintain it afterwards
    - what you and your team know how to program in/on and how many of them have a bug up their ass about something specific

    An algorithm is a general map or set of directions which can be translated (by you) into whatever language you please.

    Anyway, considering that you can emulate many operating systems on one another and many (most? all?) programmers in larger groups work on remote machines, looking at what a guy is sitting at doesn't necessarily give you an accurate picture of anything.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

    "There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Working out the look of a Collectible card game
    By batcustard in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 26th, 2013, 04:33 PM
  2. Working on my own Game...
    By Kennfletch in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 10th, 2008, 10:12 PM
  3. New character for a game I'm working on
    By Will_S. in forum Art Critique Center
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 31st, 2007, 05:47 AM
  4. Christian Lichtner working for a game developer
    By undisciplined_hack in forum Artist Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 20th, 2004, 08:12 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.