Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    last couple of updates are great, the chow designs are looking cool!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    rumpenstiltzkin - Thanks! That CHoW will remain tragically unfinished. Or, uh, maybe I will finish it, but not for the deadline?

Okay, so, I'm not sure if I should actually try to explain what this is. I'll just say it's stupid stuff from a D&D campaign again, and... if you feed a bunch of potions to a rat at random, you're gonna have a bad time.

Attachment 1453506

Thanks
    That last b/w work looks really nice.
    I love sketchy yet well done pieces.
    The chin looks just a little too far on the right, but aside of that, I really like it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shockowaffel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    shockowaffel - Thanks, you're right about the chin. Need to work harder on headsssss.

So as merl1n pointed out a couple of days ago, I don't do nearly enough work from life. I spent the afternoon doing a self-portrait, and boy did I struggle with it, which is a sure sign I need to do more of these.

Attachment 1453925

BONUS ROUND: I dug out the LAST time I did a digital self-portrait from life (did a few since, but they were all traditional media) SEVEN YEARS AGO. It was for my art school entry portfolio. These sorts of things always leave me with really, really mixed feelings - on one hand, I've come a really long way. On the other hand, I really should have come much, much further in seven freaking years. Ah well, never too late.

Attachment 1453920

Thanks
    i think thats a really nice improvement over the years! but i know the feeling, i just think were doomed to not see our own progress as much as other sees it x)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think there's a lot of understanding in the way things work between the two that might not visually manifest itself in one glance.

Really admire your stuff, though. I'm struggling with digital painting so. much. I'm like a poor clueless puppy.
    CA Sketchbook|Portfolio Website
    Always available for commissions and inquiries.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeopleEveryday For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    rumpenstiltzkin - Thanks! It's true, much harder to look objectively at your own stuff...

PeopleEveryday - Thanks a ton, left some painting advice in your SB, hopefully something helps. =)

GESTURE TIME. Drawing Script, 30s/45s/60s.

Attachment 1454635

Thanks
    Wow those two portraits show so much improvement, well done

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixel Jam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love that awesome mutant rat Dyou got a name for that?). It looks like it bites XD.

The self portrait really looks good and that is a lot of improvements over the years.

I have noticed for your studies you usually use the soft brushes , the lighting and volumes look good and you nail the mood . But I think it might helps if you define the shapes and outlines with a more hard brush . It might be your stylistic choice though. Just saying anyways
    oh and lovely gestures as always.
    sense of purpose
    my sketchbook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sin eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    joshualyness - Thank you!

sin eater - You might be right about the hard edges. I feel like my stuff used to be - and sometimes still is, in the final pieces - very stiff and sort of lifeless, so I've been trying to loosen up. But if I'm starting to lose the forms, maybe I'm going to far in the other direction? I WILL PAY ATTENTION TO THIS. (The mutant rat is named... Mr Barleykins or something? I did not name it. It does, in fact, bite, and seems to be developing a taste for human blood. As it's from D&D, it may show up with even more mutations if that kid keeps feeding it potions and we don't feed it to the baby perytons first.)

Been doodling heads all evening and generally just being frustrated; this is the only one I like enough to post. It seems that in the end I always default to tomboyish elfheads.

Attachment 1455177

Thanks
    Today I noticed that Drawing Script has hands, apparently? There's only 35 images in the rotation but I still managed not to draw them all. 2 minutes each.

Attachment 1455669

Thanks
    Oh yeah I did those too, they are great. You really captured the structure well! Nice job.
    Free for commissioned work

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Revidescent View Post
    PeopleEveryday - Thanks a ton, left some painting advice in your SB, hopefully something helps. =)
    Yeah, thank you! Helped a ton, really.

Nice gesture studies, too. Not often you see just clean contours for gestures.

They really subtly capture the poses. Maybe for fun, try making the gestures really extreme, and really exaggerate the curve of the spine, the offset of the shoulders vs. hips, etc. A little less realism, a little more cartoony. Work out some strong silhouettes. Could lead to some interesting results.
    CA Sketchbook|Portfolio Website
    Always available for commissions and inquiries.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PeopleEveryday For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    great sketchbook! don't have time to browse everything! glad your a Sheridan grad. Hope you best of luck in your endeavors. I'll bookmark sketchbook for later viewing! Peace!
    Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

23. The Following User Says Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    MeteorCat - Thank you!

PeopleEveryday - Been meaning to do exaggerated gestures actually, I keep forgetting. D: I will do that!

poetry_man - Thank you very much!

Another LOTR cap! In my dedication to posting daily, I've just done this at my friend's place, sitting on the floor, using her couch as a desk, while her cat tried to eat my tablet pen. At 3:30 AM.

Different painting style, because... reasons.

Attachment 1456153

Thanks
    2 minute heads off Drawing Script, I think these are getting better.

Attachment 1456722

Thanks
    love your gestures so much, all of them! are they traditional or digital, i cant really tell? :o
    and i really like the way you colored the head from post #251

27. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    rumpenstiltzkin - Thanks, they're all digital! Now I've found a digital setup I like, it wastes less paper. And honestly, when I do do them traditionally (which I occasionally do but rarely scan) they tend to look very similar because most of my RL sketching is in ballpoint pen these days.

A rare non-face-study cap. LOTR, 40 minutes.

Attachment 1457328

Thanks
    Doooodling. File this under "I don't like the result but I had fun doing it".

It's (sort of) Silchas Ruin from the Malazan series. Just finished Dust of Dreams! When I'm done Crippled God I will probably draw a LOT OF FANART; I've been holding off because I'm a little iffy on some characters' appearances and I'm afraid of running into spoilers if I google them. D:

Attachment 1457972

Thanks
    SUDDENLY LEGOLAS

guys lets talk about eyes and how much i hate them

Attachment 1458785

LOTR screencap again, obviously. I didn't time this one, but I'd guess more than an hour for once; lots of weird little colour shifts, gave me a lot of trouble, also eyes.

This brings me back to high school, when all the other girls were teen-heartthrob-obsessed with Orlando Bloom and I did. Not. Get it. Still don't.

Thanks
    The portrait of Sam from LOTR is so cool...
    it has s soul, atmosphere...
    Legolas looks weird, especialy shadows around his right eye...

32. The Following User Says Thank You to jablar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    jablar - You are 110% correct, see previous comments re: eyes and how I hate them. Thanks for the comment!

Just a handful of 45s Drawing Script poses today. Very few, really. A lot of times when I don't start drawing for the day 'til like 3 AM, it's entirely my own fault, but occasionally I legitimately don't get the chance until just before bedtime. Today was one of those days! It has been a very long day and I am falling asleep at my keyboard.

Attachment 1459423

Thanks
    Wonderful studies! I really liked seeing the self-portrait side by side, great improvement. The only crit I can really give is that you might want to try and vary up your faces a bit more, they tend towards the pointy-nosed, sharp-jawed type. I think we all have this personal idea of what "beautiful" is and design according to that, which can have us retreading the same ground without thinking about it.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    cool sjizzle, nice figures (study and imagination ofc)!! keep that coloring up !

cya

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Cross_Faith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    CKLamb - Thanks! Yeah, not nearly enough face variation... less because of what I think looks good (I love, for example, drawing big beaky noses, and yet never seem to?), and more because I'm still trying to figure out facial structure, so it tends to default to very basic structures. I'll work on it!

Cross_Faith - Thank you!

Photo study, a couple of hours. I've been wanting to do a study from this photo for ages, and for the stupidest reason - I love that big streak of reflected light on his face. That's seriously why.

Had fun with the drapery here, almost wishing I hadn't cropped it now.

[Ref]

Attachment 1460025

Thanks
    Magnificent.
    Free for commissioned work

40. The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you, MeteorCat!

I keep complaining about eyes, lately. Time to do something about it! I've grabbed a whole bunch of eye crops off The Big Picture and In Focus and I'll probably be doing these for the next couple of days. (I'm always iffy about using non-stock for studies when it's people, but a) these are really small crops, and b) photojournalism is a way better place to find different ages/races/etc than Deviantart stock, my usual go-to.)

As testament to how much I'm struggling with eyes - I've been posting lots of screencap studies and the like, whole colour scenes done in 40 or 50 minutes. These tiny greyscale studies were like 15-20 minutes each. =|

Attachment 1460557

Thanks

Thanks
    amazing portraits! and there's really a massive difference between #260 and #261 o.o very good.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Lux_Aeterna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lux_Aeterna - Thank you very much! Haha, the main difference is that 260 is an embarrassingly bad painting from imagination, while 261 is a half-decent painting from screencap ref.

Eyes, eyes forever. I actually got halfway through a 4th one but I cannot stay awake any longer. This week has been upsettingly unproductive; Monday's a nice fresh start, let's get some finals going!

Attachment 1461920

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast