Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Wooooowwww all around amazing stuff! At a quick glance your paintings almost look like screen caps!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to NatSmall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    towy - Thanks!

NatSmall - Thanks a ton, since a lot of them are reffed from screencaps I will take this to mean I'm getting more accurate. =D

Some progress on the Levi contest entry. A sketch and tighter lighting thing of one of the thumbs; I'm going to do another one (or another two, if I have time before the deadline) before deciding final. Then I will shoot real reference instead of a crappy webcam photo of myself, because turning a chubby 5'3" girl into a tall, wiry man is often an exercise in futility, and one I attempt more often than I should.

Also, I don't think the lighting is really working at the moment, but hopefully it's close enough to get the basic composition across, which is the real point.

Attachment 1403592

Before that came some clothing noodling; I went with the second-last one:

Attachment 1403593

Finally, some friends came over to talk, and one fell asleep. Sorry, Eric. You were holding a pose. (He said he liked the drawing, so win-win, I guess?) Ballpoint pen.

Attachment 1403595

Thanks
    Final sketches for the Levi contest...

Attachment 1404245

...and a Sargent study. Couple of hours. THOSE SKINTONES oh man. The face isn't really right; I think it's time to stop, really, but I'll probably take another shot at this in a month or two. (Also the background tone is way off; weirdly, I struggled with that colour more than any other one in the painting.)

Attachment 1404248

Thanks
    Good stuff here man and There is definetly improvement from page 1 to 4. If I may offer a few comments on the sargent study. It appears that you are trying more to reproduce what you see instead of reproducing what he did. For example, your trouble with the background. It appears that he executed and underpainting (probably a burnt umber) on a toned canvas. 2 colors. When I see yours I'm picking out reds, blues and maybe a bit of green. Now I'm not saying that yours looks bad. In fact it is a nicely executed study but if you are studying to learn and reproduce Sargents technique, I suggest that you simplify your approach and think more traditionally and less digitally. Otherwise its a great study, call it done and move on to the next. I feel your pain about projects that never get finished and they become like and anchor around your creative soul. Have you ever attempted the Premier Coup technique? John Howard Sanden has a few really great books on the subject and is a Living Master portrait artist. In his books he breaks down his process really well and personally I've found them to be very helpful.
    Have a good one!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wheeljack18 Thanks a lot, you're totally right about the background... I knew full well that I was trying to capture the look of semitranslucent paint with opaque colours but then I just ignored that and ploughed ahead anyhow, getting more and more frustrated. I'll look up that author. =D

Here's a pixelovely lifedrawing session; my first time trying to do it fully digital. I see a lot of people doing these digitally, and I'm sort of baffled by how to set it up - if any of those people are reading this, how do you do it? Do you have dual monitors? Do you just draw really small? I can sort of fit half a photoshop window beside standing poses, but I ended up skipping some more horizontal images because I couldn't figure out how to fit it and the Photoshop window onscreen. (This image is kind of misleading for size, most of these were maybe 800 pixels high originally.)

Attachment 1404957

Beginnings of an armor study. HEY KIDS this is a public service announcement. Don't be like me; don't render one area to that level without at least throwing down some very basic shades everywhere else. This is bad and I am bad for doing it.

Ref link!

Attachment 1404956

Thanks
    Hey Rev, that armor's helmet looks awesome, but I'll take your advice and do as you say, not as you do.

As for how I do poses digitally, I do it just like you do - half the screen for photoshop, half for the reference. I have a decent-sized widescreen monitor, which helps. I'm not sure if it's Pixelovely or The Drawing Script (or both?) that has the option to fit the picture to the size of the browser screen, but that also helps a bunch.

It doesn't force me to draw too small, because all my poses are like... ridiculously huge before I move & shrink them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to littlebones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey man. Don't beat yourself up so much. You have some great studies and gestures. They are executed to help you learn and improve. If you don't finish a suit of armor, oh well... Did you accomplish what you set out to learn? If yes than great move on. If no, then finish it.
    As for the photoshop gestures. I don't have a solution for you. I adjust the various screens all the time to suit my workflow and I tend to work smaller and try to capture the gesture. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. One thing that I have recently tried and seems to be helping is I have raised my workstation so that I have to stand while I work. It does wonders for your posture and really allows you to get more of your body behind your drawing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    some really cool studies going on! i like those blade runner studies alot...wanted to do studies of that movie too but i can't find my dvd

and those digital lifedrawing stuff looks good: about your problem: i had the same problem too (and alot of times still have) but i think as more studies you do the better you will be able to estimate your given space (doesn't matter if its digital or traditional i think). soooo the way you can fix this problem is just doing more of them
    but perhaps i'm just talking shit since i don't have a clue about what i'm doing...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cedule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks a bunch for the comments, guys, proper replies tomorrow because I am Le Tired. (Movies with friends! Tintin in 3D! A Knight's Tale on Netflix! MOVIES ARE GOOD.)

So here's today's I-didn't-actually-draw-anything-until-2:30-AM-doodle. Back to the whole women-in-profile thing. Starting to get the hang of it, I think. I do need to do about a thousand ear studies though; no matter how much I study them they continue to resolve in my mind as "...squiggles?" So yeah, I know her ear is super wrong.

Attachment 1405803

Thanks
    Woah nice portraits!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumens For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    littlebones - Thanks! Yeah, the half-and-half works pretty well, except for the very horizontal images. I'm on a laptop monitor, so maybe that's my problem.

Wheeljack - I'm not really meaning to beat myself up (well, maybe a little...) - just trying to get into better habits, I guess. I've been trying to build up pictures all over, because I have a bad habit of zeroing in on one corner to the expense of everything else. (Which is one of the reason I do those 20 minute studies so much, so I have no choice.)

cedule - Thanks, yeah, I'll be doing more of the digital lifedrawing. If you want some random Blade Runner screencaps, I posed a zip of the 100-odd ones I took a few posts up, but that's no substitute for actually finding your own DVD. =D

Lumens - Thank you!

More like 30 minutes than the usual 20 on this one, because man, these colours. Just when I think I'm getting a handle on how relative colour can be, something like this comes along where even the bright reds are purples and some of the pinks are actually blues. Nearly everything in here is a shade of blue, and the brightest pinks and reds are still fairly blue-ish purples.

Also, crazy eyes, oops. Still reffed from Blade Runner, obviously.

Attachment 1406890

Thanks
    More Pixelovely lifedrawing. I find the ubiquity of this tool kind of hilarious; I keep recognizing poses in other peoples sketchbooks. Thanks, littlebones, for pointing out that it resized to browser size; that never occurred to me and helped a lot. =D

Attachment 1407196

Aaaand here's the reason I was doing that armour study. (I worked on it a little more today, but there's not enough progress for me to bother posting...) You may recall this from page 1 of this SB, back in July or so. Part of PROJECT: FINISH THINGS. (This is an extremely, extremely belated birthday gift actually, it's a friend's Pathfinder character.) Not done yet, as the hand area is still not really a thing, and the sword is sorta... bent... but it's close.

Attachment 1407197

Thanks
    Your stuff is awesome I gotta keep working

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Surge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome stuff. Your studies are amazing . They are not boring at all, Its a pleasure to look at your studies. I love the flowy lines of your pencils. Hope you post more of your pencil gestures too . Keep doing more. Really inspiring stuff , just what i needed to look at right now
    sense of purpose
    my sketchbook

23. The Following User Says Thank You to sin eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Capt Surge - Thanks! Heh, who doesn't have to keep working? =D

sin eater - Thank you! I've been posting fewer and fewer pencils, I guess... I actually sketch in pencil very rarely these days, my sketchbook is mostly ballpoint pen. I don't know what made me decide that pencils are no fun anymore? WELP.

Bluh bluh sick day. This is all I accomplished. Pixelovely. There is a serious dearth of male ref on this, and every other, similar, tool.

Attachment 1407866

Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast