Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    the character turns out very nicely! also diggin the cat gestures! they feel very solid.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The cat gestures are great! What a fantastic idea!!
    -----------------------------------------
    My Website!
    http://www.whirlydesign.com

My Artstation
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/whirly

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for visiting my sb! The link is very helpful (and difficult).
    Those cats in your last post are great! So are the body sketches in #177.
    Can I ask what pen you had making those sketches?
    Cheers!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Greenhouse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Those cat gesture look solid. Love the line control. The eye studies look good . Leyendecker study really came out nice. Thanks for the link, Dint know about him!
    Keep them coming.
    sense of purpose
    my sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sin eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Man, I owe so many people SB comments, I feel like such a jerk not commenting on anybody else for days now. I WILL DO SO, I SWEAR.

rumpenstiltzkin - Thank you!

Whirly - Though much less applicable to most art, cat gestures are quite possibly more fun to do than human gestures. And I don't even like drawing animals!

Greenhouse - Glad to help! Those specific drawings are in ballpoint pen, specifically a Uniball Jetstream. As far as ballpoint pens go, they're by far the nicest I've ever used, both to draw and write with, and they're not too expensive.

sin eater - Thank you! Didn't know about who, Leyendecker? If so I am glad to have corrected that, he's amazing.

Okay, NOW this one's done. The changes from the last iteration are pretty minor, but some stuff was bugging me and now it isn't anymore.

Attachment 1432413

See, I SAID I'd work on the Leyendecker study more! Not a lot of time to work on it, and a whole lot more to do. I can't think of any study that's kicked my butt as much as this one; all his marks are so precise.

Attachment 1432411

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Another Castle - Blue Butterfly screencap. Didn't time it, but definitely spent way too long for way too mediocre a result. Every single one of her facial features is super wrong.

Attachment 1433017

Thanks
    Still is a beautiful painting, if you ask me
    Free for commissioned work

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    MeteorCat - Man, I almost missed your comment, you posted right as I was posting this. =D Thank you! I think I got the colours about right, just botched the facial features is all.

Aaaaand Drawing Script gestures. 30s/60s/90s.

Attachment 1433671

Thanks

Thanks
    your gestures looks really solid!

Thanks
    Thanks rumpenstiltzkin! Finally getting back into the habit I think.

More gestures; 60s and 90s from the Drawing Script. Doing my daily post a good 12 hours earlier than I usually do because I have a crazy busy day ahead of me, so who knows if I'll have time tonight.

Attachment 1434606

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    You're far too kind to me. I love that last character! Maybe a little metal here and there would add some contrast and some lightplay?

Thanks
    Gestures just keep getting better Rev.

I think your character in post #186 its a little difficult to look at because of the dark lighting but the white background. In such a white room/exterior diffuse light would be bouncing everywhere I am not sure you would see such dark black so its not something we are used to seeing maybe.
    My Website!

My Artstation

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    GEB - Thanks, and nah, your stuff is awesome. You're right, could really use a couple of bright spots in there...

Whirly - Yeah, I think you're right... I tend to do these sorts of character drawings on a plain white background, but generally the pros stick in at least a basic vignette wash or something for exactly that reason. Whoops.

Some guys, idk, it's late and I'm tired. These are not so good; gotta start doing the 2/2/2 head exercise again, I think that was working. Another Deva in there too because I can't be obsessed with a normal fantasy race, I have to fixate on one of the obscure proprietary D&D ones.

I missed posting yesterday, but I have drawings from then that I will scan when I'm back in Kingston with my scanner! Drawings from the ZOO.

Attachment 1436517

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

GEB

Thanks
    Saturday's drawings, now I can scan them, from the ZOO. Since I was there with non-art people, I didn't have a huge amount of opportunities to stop and draw... it'd be great to go back at some point for a proper art day. Also I forgot all my pens except for the ballpoint I keep clipped to my sketchbook, so, uh, yeah.

Attachment 1437194

And here's today's, some quick Drawing Script head gestures before bed. 90secs and 2mins. Very busy with non-art for the next few days; hopefully by the weekend I'll have something actually interesting to post again.

Attachment 1437195

Thanks
    Thanks for commenting on my sketchbook, I really appreciate it. Great updates! I like how you study different kinds of animals in addition to all of your figure drawing work. Keep it up!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ezekrialase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ezekrialase - Thanks! The animals are a recent thing, but I should really do more of that..

Another Castle cap, an hour-ish. This one fought me every step of the way. (Okay, I guess I was the one doing the fighting.) I don't know why I'm finding these so much more difficult than normal screencap studies. Probably because they're faces I'm much more familiar with, so when the likeness is off, it's much more jarring to me. I'm still not happy with the outcome here - it took forever to get it to look like a decent, non-mutant face, but in no conceivable universe is that a decent Nathan Fillion.

Maybe I should do Serenity caps next?

Attachment 1437957

Thanks
    Your paintings are pretty promising! The one piece of advice I have to offer is maybe to experiment with your brush/stroke economy. Say more with less effort. Sargent, Zorn and all the usual suspects. The direction of your work may not be of the same looseness or as painterly as theirs, but even highly finished work is based on economy. It speeds everything up, and it also reads better, and it jumpstarts your understanding even more.

Edit: Also that is a phenomenal screen cap study!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Waikien For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Waikien - You're 100% right; stroke economy is actually something I'm actively working on right now. Most of my finished work has a really overworked, dead kind of look to it, I've been trying to work towards a brushier, livelier look, as well as quicker, looser studies. Slow going, though; as you've noticed, I'm still nowhere near there yet. Thanks!

Everybody's going nuts over Mass Effect 3 right now; meanwhile I'm being a total slowpoke and only just starting a new playthrough of ME2 in preparation. (My original savefile was on my friends' poor red-ringed Xbox...) Everybody's gonna be well done with ME3 long before I even buy it...

All the same, in deference to the madness, here's a doodle (30 or 40 minutes?) of my Shepard. FEMSHEP 4 LIFE.

Attachment 1438488

Thanks
    nice studies
    my Sketchbook plz help me become a better artist !

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153575

31. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcSampson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cool updates. Again your gestures (head and animal) are wonderful. Its probably the most important skill to have, at least in my opinion, to visually communicate quickly, clearly and efficiently the important parts at the beginning. You seem to have it down very well.

Its my number one major goal, no point me doing lots of rendering exercises and what not without it.

You might find this interesting http://nathanfowkes.blogspot.com/201...and-video.html about maintaining that simplicity of gesture throughout the whole process.

Also I get to play ME3 tonight

I dont know if its just my monitors here but the last two painting are looking really dark on here.
    My Website!

My Artstation

My Sketchbook

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    MarcSampson - Thanks!

Whirly - Oh man, great link, good reminder. Thanks for that. Also yeah, I get told my stuff is dark a lot... I think my monitor is way lighter than most peoples; gets awkward since my stuff is both done and viewed mostly digitally. =\ (Although to be fair, that last painting was way too dark even on my screen.)

Some Drawing Script gestures, 30s/45s/60s. Should have done way more, but it's a been a long day and now it's like 4 AM. The moral here is "start drawing before 3:15 in the morning", basically.

Attachment 1439077

Thanks
    I saw John Carter of Mars today. Here is a man's torso.

(Ref)
    Attachment 1439753

asdfwoeihfgoaewjfo this is awful and I don't want to post it like it is but I got daylight savings time'd, it's 5:30 AM aigh

Thanks
    i wanna see john carter too but my stupid country never shows movies in its original language without showing it in 3D and i hate watching movies in "3D"

the gestures looks great, and also those head gestures from a couple post up are great too! maybe i should try doing that too, i so need to learn heads
    torso looks good!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    rumpenstiltzkin - Yeah, I saw it in 3D against my will. I'm not a huge fan of the 3D phenomenon, but that may have something to do with the fact that wearing glasses over glasses is always a pain. Thanks! Head gestures are... interesting to do. =D

Decided I DID want to do some Serenity screencaps. I was planning to do something more complex, but then saw this one and figured there was no problem with a good eye study. Also, it's another one of those mindblowing "everything is secretly blue" colour palettes that always messes with my head.

About 30-40 minutes, most of which was spent trying to work out the colours.

Attachment 1440359

Thanks
    Poked at the Shepard doodle a little more - it's still a doodle, never going to be a finished image, but eh.

I like some things better now, but I definitely lost some of the looseness and energy of the first iteration.

Attachment 1440898

Thanks
    Some 2/2/2s again (first 2 in each row traced, second 2 reffed, third 2 made up) with the traced and reffed ones coming from Serenity caps this time. This is one of those exercises that always seems like it's going to be quicker than it is - every head is about 5 minutes, even the traced ones, and that adds up fast. I think I get better every time I do this, though!

Attachment 1441598

Aaaand some dog/wolf gestures for a thing. About half are from Pixelovely, are mostly dogs, and are 60 seconds, and the other half are from googling "wolf", and are 60 seconds-ish.

Attachment 1441599

Thanks
    Let's be badguys.

Attachment 1442260

Serenity screencap, 25 minutes. Trying for some stroke economy for once.

Thanks
    great studies that last one is 25 minutes? goosh I am so slow... Or you are fast xD

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Sushy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sushy - Thanks! I'm not really that fast; the fast studies aren't nearly as accurate as they could be, heh.

Another Serenity cap, 40 minutes or so. STROKE ECONOMY. BIG SHAPES. I CAN DO THIS, SERIOUSLY.

Attachment 1442808

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast