Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Holy crap man that's superb. Great work! Nice shot design too!
    -----------------------------------------
    My Website!
    http://www.whirlydesign.com

My Artstation
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/whirly

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, Whirly! Of the two challenge pictures, I liked that one far more than the Levi one. Learned a lot from both, tho.

Here's an update on that study from a million posts back; this one's really kicking my butt. (Her body and the drapery aren't going too badly, but I just keep repainting that face over and over, and I haven't really started on the hair yet...)

Ref.

Attachment 1421992

Thanks
    great work,studies are looking real nice
    "The one hope of producing better work is through the conception,not the material"
    -Andrew Loomis

MY BLOG

MY SKETCHBOOK

AnimationForum

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nubian_Greene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wonderful stuff here! I love your speed paints. Thanks for the links to the sites which slideshow images for gesture drawing!
    MOBICON - Mobile, Alabama's premier science fiction, fantasy, anime, comics, gaming, paranormal, horror and media convention! We are proud to support the Mobile Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to teutelquessir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, Nubian_Greene! And thanks, teutelquessir, glad to pass on those sites, they're super helpful.

Doodles of old D&D characters, like 10 minutes each. It is 2/3 angry ladies. I seriously need to get back to like... accomplishing things. Also more head studies because I still don't really have a handle on how heads work. Eyes, man. What's with eyes?

Attachment 1422638

Thanks

Thanks
    Good work!You are very hard,Recommend that you look at Liran's work,For your help. http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/1705389087

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yishubanoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, yishubanoy, there's some great stuff on that blog, thanks for the link!

Gestures from the drawing script. It's been over a week since I last did these, and I FEEL it. Should be doing these every day, blah. Some 30s, some 60s, and some 2 minutes.

Attachment 1424057

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 925 Posts
    Superb work! One thing I noticed in your paintings is that you soften the edges too much in certain areas. You may want to pay more attention to this in future paintings. Keep it up!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    fantasyartist - Thanks a lot, and I'm curious where you think the edges are softened too much... I was afraid of the opposite, that my stuff was too sharp-edged. Welp, that's what crits are for. =D

Here's the (very early) beginnings of a Leyendecker study. I sketched out the whole figure, and then got completely sidetracked by the head, oops. Not a great way to work. Looking forward to finishing this one; I've been meaning to do a study from his stuff for ages.

Ref here, about halfway down the set. Lots of great stuff on that blog actually, god I love Leyendecker.

Attachment 1424656

Thanks
    That wizard lady kicks ass. I'm glad to see how busy you've been! Leyendecker buddy-guy has a bit more of an upturned nose than you've given him, but it's turning out super awesome.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to littlebones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    littlebones - Thanks! I think I fixed the nose? (Actually, looking at it now, I just caused new problems, it sticks out really far. OOPS.)

Bluh bluh Leyendecker. This one's gonna take a while. I REGRET NOTHING. I know a lot of my frustration with these studies has to do with recreating a traditional painter's techniques with digital media, but in this case I think I'd be doubly lost with the real thing. The man was a wizard, possibly.

Attachment 1425426

Thanks
    cool stuff. I know how you feel about doing gesture everyday. Yours look really awesome I really think you should find the time to do it!So will I!Are those digital or pen?
    "Many of life's failures are the people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    -Thomas Edison

Concept Art Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=219673

http://kimozabbi.deviantart.com/

21. The Following User Says Thank You to kimozabbi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    kimozabbi - Thanks, yeah, uh, I wrote about how I needed to do those every day then went 3 days without. I am smart. They're digital, not pen. =)

And yet more Leyendecker, and ref link again. Might put this aside for a few days and come back to it.

Attachment 1426067

Thanks
    you have some very nice work here

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ezekrialase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, ezekrialase!

Screencap study from the recent Castle episode, The Blue Butterfly. They were doing noir pastiche, and while it was far from perfect (and I kind of wish it had been in black and white for style reasons) they really did do some lovely stuff with the lighting.

I know these are usually 20 minutes, but this was closer to... 40? 50?

Attachment 1426763

Thanks
    the leyendecker study is shaping up nicely man! you're studying the god of form right there. nice gestures too, well-captured rhythms. awesome work!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Eightball_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, Eightball! Putting aside the Leyendecker for a few days, but I swear I will finish that thing.

Some 30s and 60s from Pixelovely.

Attachment 1427460

Thanks
    Sometimes my friends let me draw them! I'm not sure why. Ballpoint pen is not the most forgiving medium and half the time they come out looking super creepy, such as in this case.

(Also, sideways heads - my nemesis.)

Attachment 1427980

Thanks
    Thanked 1,084 Times in 925 Posts
    The last gesture drawings are really pleasing to look at. Don't be to hard on yourself with your life sketch. I think it looks great. As for your nemesis, try visualizing the head as a simple box and you should be able to draw it from any angle. Keep it up!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, fantasyartist. I guess the thing about drawing friends is they're always there to point out just how much the image doesn't look like them. =)

The subject today is... eyes! Apparently! Top 6 from ref, bottom 2 from imagination.

Attachment 1428701

Thanks
    Excellent study.
    Free for commissioned work

34. The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I enjoy watching you learn from every study you do, it's a real joy.
    Keep drawing

36. The Following User Says Thank You to -Jag For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Ooh I like the wizard witch type painting at the top of this page. Though I would say the psoe is a little off. The possition of the legs look off like she's off ballance. Also her right thigh seems longer than the left. And because the colour of her coat is so similar to the head in the background the image feels a little flat. Maybe you could add some atmoshere to seperate them, use some of that nice blue green you have. I think you bighten up that magic too, which would cast more light on her and also help seperate her from the background. Nice job though!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very impressive work!
    Great technique, it gives a lot of inspiration.
    Tanks for sharing!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Greenhouse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    MeteorCat - Thank you!

-Jag - Thanks a lot, I intend to. =D

GEB - Thanks a ton for the crit! I actually took reference from the pose and adhered to it pretty closely, but I think a lot of the problems with both the pose and length of the legs came from trying to lengthen them slightly... I used photos of myself for ref, and as a tiny 5'3" girl I'm not exactly... uh... heroically proportioned. Still need to get better at translating body types.

Also, now that I look at it, you're right about the foreground/background separation. I think it was a lot better early on before I started going overboard with atmospheric lighting effects.

Greenhouse - Thank you!

Here's yesterday's post, by my count, because the power went out last night before I got around to scanning. A few Pixelovely gestures in pen in my sketchbook instead of digitally. (I was at a friend's place and had my sketchbook, pen, and laptop, but not my tablet. She provided much helpful (?) commentary on the naked-people-images.)

Attachment 1429784

Thanks
    I had every intention to go back to the Leyendecker study today, but then we played D&D for 9 hours and I was left with the intense, inarguable need to finally do a full-body design of my poor bardlock. Because I love my crazy dead hobo and all his complicated emotions. (More than I love sleep apparently! Why did this take like 3 hours, oh man.)

May refine and/or colour this tomorrow. Or maybe more Leyendecker, who knows.

Attachment 1430299

Thanks
    Still no Leyendecker study progress, idk. I'd like to finish this, y'know, because.

Whenever I draw my own/my friends' characters, I keep getting stuck on character aspects that don't matter at all to anybody but me. In this case, dirty, tattered clothes and ridiculous poofy hair are such a part of revenants' look already that I'm failing to communicate this guy is just a filthy vagrant who has not bathed in 6 months or washed his clothes ever.

Attachment 1430984

Thanks
    You make me want to play D&D, man. As for making him look dirtier, make his clothes less black! I mean, keep them black, but if he's been slumming around he's probably got dried mud on him which would be like powdery brown all on his boots, maybe even some darker-looking dried bloodstains on his clothes or something. I can't imagine it'd be easy to make black look dirty, but that is what I thought when I bought black winter boots, and they are certainly dirty 5 months later.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to littlebones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    littlebones - Man, D&D is basically The Best Thing. Thanks for the tips, you're totally right about dried mud, my black boots are slowly turning light grey with the winter sludge...

More dirt and more rendering! I can't decide if this is done or not. Today was the kind of day where I was super productive at things I shouldn't actually have been working on. (Like this.)

Decided if I was going for a full-on character shot I might as well include his awful cat.

Attachment 1431646

Prior to cat-painting, I did some gestures from Pixelovely's oft-ignored animal gesture tool - my grasp of animal anatomy is tenuous at best, and cats are practically liquid, so I wanted to get a bit of a handle on that flow.

Attachment 1431647

And one more D&D thing I needed to get out of my system; a quick, sketchy portrait of a friend's character that I think is super awesome. (The character, not the sketch.) Not perfect, but took maybe an hour and was crazy-fun to do.

Attachment 1431648

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast