Sketchbook: Rev needs to draw more - AND SHE'S BACK! - Page 24
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Rev needs to draw more - AND SHE'S BACK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, you've really achieved great values in those photo-ref studies. If you put a black layer on top of those and set it to "saturation" they still read extremely well, no matter how far you zoom out – outstanding!

You'll be swimming in job offers in no time

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ecki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    V3T - Thank you!! I think everybody sees my progress more than I do, heh.

snatti - Damn straight! Thanks!

ecki - Thanks, glad to hear it, it can be hard to hit the values sometimes. Fingers crossed on job offers, I could really use some more work right about now. =)

So the accidental - and weirdly specific - theme of the day is not-as-finished-as-they-could-be-drawings-of-dudes-in-greyscale. Welp.

First off, I managed to go to actual, real-life lifedrawing for the first time in... months? Maybe even a year? It's been way too long; it's really hard to find lifedrawing in this city. The interesting bit was that it was a workshop meant mostly for people new to lifedrawing, so we started off with stuff like blind contours, different types of gestures, negative space drawings... honestly, it was really interesting, kind of fun getting back to basics for a bit. There were a couple of regular 20 min poses, though, I liked how this one came out:

Name:  LifedrawingJanuary.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  195.7 KB

Also from today, a painted figure study that is, as stated, not as finished as it could be:

[REF]
    Name:  FigurePainting06.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  69.6 KB

Finally, a doodle loosely reffed from this stock photo, because apparently when I see a skinny dude with shadowed eyes I think of my D&D character. =\ If anybody from the campaign sees this they may make fun of me, and I may deserve it. I REGRET NOTHING.

Name:  Crowcatcherstudything.png
Views: 648
Size:  281.9 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your thumbnail studies are so amazingly effective. they kill me, i love them, they make me happy cause they are so loose and gestural with really awesome colors ;u; and your black and white stuff also is amazing!!!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to viki oh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssss hello Crowcatcher♥ (this is just here to let you know I am still forever stalking you, and that your gestures inform my own (horrible) drawing in ways I am unable to articulate.)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Felcast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    viki oh - Thank you so much, I love doing those little studies, and wish that the looseness and clarity they manage would translate better to longer work. D:

Felcast - OH HI! =D I was just checking out your profile, like, hours before you posted, to see if you were still around here and if you ever used your account. You should post stuff! I'd love to see what art you're up to! (Also, I love that Crowcatcher has a fan. < 3 I still wonder if you'd like him if you knew what a doofus he actually was, but I love him and I'm probably never gonna stop painting him, SO.)

Shh, posting for yesterday now, and for today later. D&D went late last night, also I'm sick. EXCUSES!

This was one of those studies where the final result is kind of bad but I learned enough that it doesn't matter. The colours in the original photo were a bit weird, but I wanted to try out the textures, and they were a serious challenge. I like the bench, though. (Also, the ref photo's colours shifted when I pasted it into photoshop, and then the study's colours shifted again when I saved it, so now they look WAY off. One of these days I'll figure out why that happens, and how to stop it. I think it has something to do with sRGB/colour profiles?)

[REF]
    Name:  Enviro019.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  244.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stillll liiiiiife. One of these days I'll find some cloth to pin up or something, so that all my still lives don't have that same yellow wall in the background. (Though it makes for some really interesting reflected light, not gonna lie.)

I find it interesting how reliant I've become on CS5's mixer brushes. I mean, I painted for years without them, and now they're such an integral part of how I work and how I blend that I can't imagine going back. Though I suppose Painter had similar tools years ago, so I guess this is Photoshop just catching up. (I tried Painter several times, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. I'm a Photoshop kid forever, I guess.)

I'm also super fascinated by local colour, insofar as it's a thing that even exists to begin with. Metal especially - what colour is that spoon? Grey? There's basically no grey anywhere in there. Even the mug, you can probably tell roughly what colour it would be IRL, despite almost none of that colour actually being present in the painting. Aaaa, light and colour are so cool, and the fact that I completely nerd out about this probably means I'm in the right field.

Name:  MugSpoonOrangeStillLife.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  100.8 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love this still life and I really like hearing these things you call 'nerding out'

About the landscape, I think two or three of the trees seem a bit flat but other then that it's really good.

Free for commissioned work

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good studies man! keep them coming and also try to paint things with different textures, i think this is your week point at the moment. All the best!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to llex_paul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MeteorCat - Thanks, yeah, I think I started to get a bit lazy with the trees after a while.

llex_paul - Thank you! You're right, textures are something I need to work on.

Stuffff. I'm siiiiick. =(

Name:  DigiLifedrawing051.png
Views: 574
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  222-Heads-01.png
Views: 574
Size:  160.1 KB

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mother of Glob...
    And I thought I was viewing your last page on page 1 LOL
    Fantastic work, really, really inspiring!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to smrrfette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the way you're doing studies. Especially how you studied the head! I think that I should try that too! + Quick poses are always nice.

Also nice still-life and forest study.
    The values are very readable on the forest study, but it still feel's a little hard to read when in color. I'd suggest to desaturate the background a little more to show depth. Especially yellow and red is not traveling far because of the short wavelength.

On the still-life I get the impression that the spoon should be brighter because of the (rather) extreme light that is producing that shadow, other than that it looks pretty amazing.

I really love your dedication and the hard work you put into drawing. Just keep going

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ecki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rev,

Nice studies all around.

There's one thing that bothers me with your figure drawing tough. You have some really nice studies, but sometimes it seems that you fail to apply what you know to your pieces. Take the stuff in 692 for example: those 2 first images are really great (the graphite piece from life is awesome). However in the 3rd image the torso of that guy looks completely flat, how can you miss out on such a basic concept? You're better then that Rev. Also, there are so many really nice shadows in the ref you used for that piece that you could have used to make folds in his cloth/elements of his armor. Didn't mean to sound rude if i did, but I thought i'd say that cause it sort of stands out among an otherwise really good body of artwork.

Sketchbook

A creative artist works on his next composition because he is not satisfied with his previous one. When he loses a critical attitude toward his own work, he ceases to be an artist. - Dmitri Shostakovich

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tea of Doom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice pieces in here! never stop posting and keep up the good work,
    This sketchbook is full of inspirational thingies!

Cheers

See my latest Sketchbook work!
    Feel Free to comment!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Deceptive For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Replies to people tomorrow, promise!

I missed a day due to being super sick and today it's late and I'm tired and stuff. For now, have a screencap study. Haven't done a Blade Runner one in a while. Haven't done a process animation thing in a while, either. Man, maybe half the reason so many of my study skills don't translate to final illustration is because my process is so different? Why do I have different processes all the time? Important questions. LATE. TIRED. SLEEP NOW.

Name:  Cap-29.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  Cap-29-Progress.gif
Views: 530
Size:  342.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you made great progress on painting ! try to be carreful with your edges, everything seems to be rendered the same way, maybe a better understanding of edges would help to achieve better solidity in your painting ! cheers and keep it up

28. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update, hopefully you'll get well soon ;_;

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ecki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while since I last dropped by. Thought I'd do a quick pop in.

Nice movie study! Will be doing some of those soon myself. We can learn so many things all at once just by doing movie studies. Keep em coming!
    I'll return to take a better look at your work.

Cheers

ART. MORE. NOW.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Pryminista For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you learn about composition, color, form, etc., the way you approach it shouldn't be a problem. I use to start every piece differently, and I'm happy to now know many different ways to approach a painting. I'm not even trying to find a single best way for myself. Different approach for different things, whatever I think works best at the time, but the core fundamentals always stay the same. Studies are simply much easier, because you always see what you're painting in front of you. The important thing to know is why it looks the way it does. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to more ;]

34. The Following User Says Thank You to razz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HI, GUYS! I'm no longer super sick! I'm barely sick at all! I can rejoin the human race, instead of sitting in bed watching Adventure time.

smrrfette - Heh, nope, more pages. Thanks!

ecki - I find that kind of head study really useful! Moving from trace to ref to imagination and back kinda cements it better than anything else, especially with the trace step providing a constant reminder of how the planes and proportions actually work. If you end up trying it, I recommend movie stills for ref; I've found they work better than random stock because the more dramatic lighting makes the facial planes more obvious. I think you're right on the forest study - not sure about the spoon, but it's not like I can go back and check. =) Thanks a lot!

Tea of Doom - I 100% agree I'm not so good at applying what I know, which is honestly one of my main goals for study at the moment, better applying that knowledge. You're totally right about that sketch, and while I could probably try to use the "it's just a sketch" excuse, at that level of finish and with ref, I absolutely should have done better. I actually went back and poked at it a little more, I might upload it again after a tiny bit more work. You have shamed me into doing better. D: Thank you!

Deceptive - Thanks!

kikindaface - Thanks, I'll try to watch my edges. I think that's one of those things I legitimately just forget about, which is bad!

Mr.Pryminista - I love movie studies, I love movie lighting. =) Thanks. =D

razz - Totally, you're right. I think the issue I have is that the studies have a much stronger, less haphazard foundation, which produces faster, stronger work, but as you say, everything's right there - of course the foundation would be stronger, when I can see the end point clearly. I'll keep at it! Thanks a lot!

I actually managed to go to lifedrawing TWICE IN ONE WEEK. (Seriously, this is unheard of. The next one I know of locally is a month from now.) This is the traditional uploading of whatever drawing I liked best, because I don't really care enough to scan more. I wasn't that happy with most of what I drew this time anyhow, but this one came out okay despite not drawing his lower legs. I think it was 10 mins.

Name:  LifedrawingJanuary2.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  67.4 KB

And I did another still life. A couple of hours. I actually pinned up a pillowcase this time to obscure the yellow wall! (It's still totally reflected from elsewhere, though.) This probably could have used another hour or so, but I ran out of time.

Name:  SugarbowlOnionStillLife.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  132.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, your paintings are gorgeous. I love that bench in the forest you did above, it's got real depth to it.

No crit, sorry. Keep on practicing!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Umbravita For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This most recent painting is just incredible! You can really see the progress you're making... keep it up!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to mdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

41. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say wow, i'm highly impressed by your hard-work Revidescent i am really inspired. i need to start approaching my works like you seriously, you study and then apply which i love. Your gestures are off the hook keep up the good work. oh and feel free to stop by my sketchbook and suggest what i should do better Thank you

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Yemi775 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Flaskpost For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Umbravita - Thanks, had a hard time with that one, glad you like it. =)

mdog - Thank you, I will!

kevin_ - Thanks!

Yemi775 - Thanks a bunch! Honestly, I don't apply as much as I like or should, but I try to. I'll stop by your SB for sure, though it might take a coupla days to get to it. =)

Flaskpost - Thank you!

Gestures from yesterday, because it was late and I was too tired to post them. Lovecastle, 30s-75s.

Name:  DigiLifedrawing052.png
Views: 426
Size:  122.2 KB

Head study. A couple of hours, I guess, however long True Lies is, minus the time spent paying attention to True Lies. There's a lot of stuff I'm really not happy with on this one, but I love the stock; I love backlighting, and there are some beautiful colours here. I do need to start broadening my head-studying horizons, though, I spend too much time painting young, pretty, white women. Not to say I don't still struggle with it, but I also struggle with, uh, everything else too. (It's just the easiest stock to find on DeviantArt! aaaaa) I /still/ have to figure out why Photoshop is shifting things towards red, as well.

[REF]

Name:  HeadPaintingStudy16.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  136.9 KB

Edit: I SHOULD have gone to bed, instead I started thinking about how I don't directly apply my studies more, so I went ahead and painted this thing, no ref. It's boring and generic, but that's not really the point. It came out pretty well, I think! The facial structure is kind of suspect in a lot of areas, but I'm honestly pretty happy with the skintones.

Edit Edit Edit: Okay, this is the /third/ time I've seen something I wanted to change, changed it, and re-uploaded it. I need to stop. GOOD NIGHT.

Name:  Elflady.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  201.0 KB

Last edited by Revidescent; February 3rd, 2013 at 05:19 AM.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anatomy studies. Stock from mjranum and character designs. Trying to figure out Hampton-style construction still, and still a bit iffy on the hips.

Name:  AnatomyStudies04.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  185.9 KB

I reworked this sketch after Tea_of_Doom's crit, hopefully it's a bit better now. It's still just a sketch, but hey.

Name:  ThisGuy.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  146.8 KB

And as long as I'm posting drawings of this zombie douchebag, I might as well throw this up too. I was feeling discouraged about progress a few days ago, so I redrew this sketch from the first page of the thread to feel better.

Name:  catcherfaec.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  91.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this would be a really good piece WITH reference, but I think it is EXCELLENT since you did it without reference!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this would be a really good piece WITH reference, but I think it is EXCELLENT since you did it without reference!

(Referring to the female head posted yesterday.)

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Howe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, awesome update! & Welcome back

This construction style looks like a little too much for me. I think if I'd do that, my poses would get even stiffer
    Nice skintone studies (I know that young-pretty-white-women problem, that's what I'm painting almost exclusively)! On the "elvish" girl, I find the skin to be a little too saturated, but maybe that's just me

Go go go!

53. The Following User Says Thank You to ecki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studies from both 715 and 716 look great.

I see the changes that you made, it's better then the last time but the chest still seems to be a bit flat/curve inwards. Here is a small paintover.

Name:  elfguy.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  379.3 KB

Sketchbook

A creative artist works on his next composition because he is not satisfied with his previous one. When he loses a critical attitude toward his own work, he ceases to be an artist. - Dmitri Shostakovich

55. The Following User Says Thank You to Tea of Doom For This Useful Post:

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 376