Sketchbook: Rev needs to draw more - AND SHE'S BACK! - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gorgeous stuff, you make me regret not going to Sheridan. And thank you for posting your resources as you go, it's extremely helpful!

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to littlebones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glaudarien - Thanks! You're totally right about the silhouettes, it seems really obvious in retrospect. I went from the rough to the final without taking time to step back and refine the structure in between.

Mhugo - Thanks, can't really take much credit for the colours and the like in the environments, they're all just photo studies thus far. Still very new to that sorta thing!

littlebones Thanks! I loved Sheridan, but honestly, most of the technical type stuff I'm doing here didn't come from that program. What it was good for was teaching things like composition, concepts, how to think and generate ideas, business sense, design... lots of fantastic skills, but not a lot of emphasis on the technical.

So this was basically a studies weekend. Mixed feelings about that... on one hand, I've been missing out on this kind of stuff for a while, and I had fun. On the other hand, this to-do list isn't getting any shorter. =|

Went down to the antique market today, and drew this:
    Name:  AntiqueMarketSketch.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  204.1 KB

...Then came home, and tried to add some colour from memory/imagination. Certainly, this wasn't quite the lighting condition I was working from; it was a very overcast day. Didn't feel like taking this too far, very weak composition, but a fun exercise nonetheless.
    Name:  AntiqueMarketColour.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  183.9 KB

Another environment photo study (Ref):
    Name:  Enviro005.jpg
Views: 1831
Size:  83.2 KB

Aaaand a Bouguereau head study:
    Name:  BouguereauHead.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  104.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, your art is quite awesome, i particular like the gif showing how you developed the image.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Object For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Object - Thanks, I'll try to post more process stuff in the future.

Gotta finish this Supernatural fanart in time for Fan Expo. Here's a Sam Winchester. I had a much easier time on his face than on the others, and I'm guessing it's because his facial features play into so many of my bad habits - broad face, big nose...

Name:  SPNProgess03.png
Views: 1841
Size:  535.5 KB

I am in no way endorsing painting a finished face while the rest of the body is a barely-realized sketch. It is NOT A GOOD IDEA. I just tend to do weird, experimental things when I'm in fanart mode, and the process regularly goes stupid places.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Every day, I go "Today, I will finish this!" Every day, it takes much, much longer than expected.

Welp, I have to get it done tomorrow. So... yeah. Let's hope.

Name:  SPNProgressss.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  210.0 KB

(Gogo deep symbolic fanart of a fundamentally derpy show.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow love your sketchbook, gorgeous stuff really! love your photostudies and use of color
    also the latest looks really good!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice works keep it uP!

sketchbook
    my web Looking for a work

12. The Following User Says Thank You to n1frit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome Sketchbook!
    Your paintings are looking really good!
    Your drawings and silhouetes are amazing as well.
    Fanexpo is coming up pretty soon, so I hope you can finish your illustration on time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo_Mama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like what you did with the antique market. Can you tell me what your process was with that piece? I'm guessing you started with gestures and then went from there?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Strato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rumpenstiltzkin - Thanks! I appreciate the comment on my use of colour; I've been studying that stuff a lot lately.

n1frit - Thanks =)

Voodoo_Mama - Thanks a lot! Yep, got everything done in time for Fan Expo. Such a crazy weekend. (Not even weekend, it's a whole four days now, aigh)

Strato - I actually started with the end of one of the tables - Just left of centre, there's a sort of trapezoid shape, an upside-down bin with some stuff on it. That's the first thing I drew, and I worked outwards from there. When I hit any area that people were regularly moving through (i.e. next to the tables) I grabbed a gesture of one who stood still for a few seconds, and often kept my eyes on them as they wandered away to fill in clothes, hair, etc. The woman in front of the chair was the easiest, since she held that pose for minutes at a time. After the main cluster of people, I just started filling in background bits, and didn't go back with the grey markers 'til the end. (I actually think it looked better in straight ballpoint pen, but since I was planning to do the colour thing when I got home, I wanted to put in at least a little indication of relative tone to jog my memory.)

-----

Guess who survived Fan Expo? HINT, IT'S ME. If anybody's honestly curious about it, I have a blogpost on the topic.

Yes, I finished that Supernatural fanart, and I'm really pleased with it - and as an experiment in likeness, I learned an awful lot. (I also learned that I need to spend more time studying painting hands, instead of just drawing them. Soon as I've got to get them in 3D, they look completely wrong.)

Name:  SPN.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  336.8 KB

I also threw together a last minute fanart of Tali from Mass Effect, an experiment with Dissolve brushes and layers in Photoshop. At full res, it looks incredibly pixellated; printed at 300 DPI, it's actually a pretty neat effect.

Name:  Tali.jpg
Views: 1768
Size:  350.5 KB

Oh, and here's another environment study I did during a few small breaks here and there while working on the above images. Here's the ref. I really need to start doing some of these from imagination.

Name:  Enviro006.jpg
Views: 1753
Size:  71.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Managed to grab a little time today (in between catching up on all the design work I'm SO BEHIND on) to do a couple of quick screencap studies from Doctor Who. I tend to say I'm going to do quick studies and then noodle around with details for hours on end, so I timed these both to a strict 20 minutes. The second one... could have really used some more time. That is some IFFY facial anatomy. Gotta remind myself that it's not the point, the lighting and colour is. =|

Name:  Cap20-01.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  Cap20-02.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  53.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool screencap studies, (reminds me that I should do some of those)
    The Mass Effect fanart looks really good, I love the texturing.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo_Mama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voodoo_Mama - Thanks, I love playing with Dissolve textures for flatter stuff, this is the first time I've tried full-on rendering that way. It's always fun to try things in digital art that you straight-up can't do traditionally.

Anyhow, a combination of being sick and busy has not been so good for art. Here's a few random things.

This seemed like a really fun exercise for generating random ideas, so I tried it. Did 4, only liked these 2.

Name:  Thumbfun01.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  52.9 KB

Some more of those 20-minute screencap studies. A harsh time limit is definitely a good way to focus on the big shapes, and still I feel like I end up noodling around in the wrong places. LEARNING. (They're still all from Doctor Who. Such a well-lit show. Uh.)

Name:  Cap20-03.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  Cap20-04.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  Cap20-05.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  50.5 KB

And finally a Sargent study I did this afternoon, to try and get back into Art Mode. This thing kicked my butt, but man was it fun. I can't think of anybody better to study for big colour shifts on facial planes. Beginning to end, the colours were constantly more saturated than I thought. I think it's STILL a little too dark and desaturated. Durr.

Name:  SargentStudy2.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  212.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is one of those "is it seriously 3 AM, WTF" kind of days. I did not intend to do most of this stuff today.

Some food for the motion graphics project I'm currently working on. I have no idea if I'm allowed to talk about it, but it should be up soon enough, and... it's pictures of food.

Name:  Food.jpg
Views: 1697
Size:  61.0 KB

Photo study WIP. Ref is #27 on this page. I'm completely at a loss on how to do those ash clouds. I'll just keep banging my head against it 'til I figure it out, I guess.

Name:  Enviro007WIP.jpg
Views: 1701
Size:  60.9 KB

Aaaaand a speedie thing (30 mins? 45?) that I had no intention of doing, but can be directly blamed on listening to Florence + The Machine all day. Rabbit Heart gets double blame points. Just wish it weren't so conceptually boring, OH WELL.

Name:  RabbitHeart.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  108.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Sargent study is gorgeous, it sounds like you learned a lot from doing it too. Well done!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to lohes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lohes - Thanks, I did learn a lot! Gotta do moooore.

Anyhow, coupla things.

Another 20 minute screencap study. One of these days I'll move on to something other than Doctor Who, but TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY.
    Name:  Cap20-06.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  67.6 KB

Enviro photo study thing, this is the ref.
    Name:  Enviro007.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  156.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice updates, the screencap one with the portrait has some very nice colors

27. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rumpenstiltzkin - Thanks! The Who screencaps are always a challenge, since the interesting lighting always makes colours things I absolutely don't expect.

Urgh, lifedrawing, it's been too long. Good model, though! (The first is 10 or 15 minutes, I forget. The second is half an hour.) Why are reclining poses so difficult? Is it just me? Even when there's no foreshortening, as soon as you tilt a torso 90 degrees, I forget everything I know and just struggle like crazy.

Name:  Lifedrawing011.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  Lifedrawing012.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  118.7 KB

Another 20 minute screencap. I want to redo this one at some point; I think I more or less got the colour, which was the main point, but that hand is abysmal.

Name:  Cap20-07.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  106.7 KB

And finally some development sketches for a CHoW I don't think I'll actually be able to do, due to sudden ninja deadlines.

Name:  QueenThumbs.png
Views: 1656
Size:  158.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't posted here in... 8000 years? Something like that.

Here's one of those 20-minute screencaps to prove I'm still alive. Gotta get back into the groove ASAP.

Name:  Cap20-08.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  58.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP scribble that I've been doing in between other work to keep my brain moving.

Androgynous prettyboy who... okay, honestly, he just looks like a girl. Whatever, I'm having fun.

Name:  Deefaceprogress.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  79.7 KB

Very... splotchy. After all these years, still feel like I don't really know what my style is yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really shouldn't have two tiny posts in one day, should I? When I posted before I didn't think I'd have any more art time. And then I did!

Progress on the guy. Looking a little more male now? He's still meant to be pretty rather than handsome. His nose is messed up and the far eye is a pit of nothingness, but I think it's close to done-ish. Trying to decide if I want to do more with the hair. It's very rough at the moment, but I kind of like it that way.

Name:  Deefaceprogress2.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  74.6 KB

And another 20-minute screencap study. This is the 9th; after the 10th one I may try to find a new source. Maybe go for the popular ones, Blade Runner or LOTR.

Name:  Cap20-09.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  65.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaand done, I think. Might sit on it for a day or two before posting anywhere else to see if I notice any other problems. It was mostly just an exercise in what I could manage from imagination, after doing a bunch of studies... not bad, but back to the studies I think.

Name:  Deefacefinal.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  91.7 KB

One more 20-minute Doctor Who study. Maybe the next one will be a different show/movie? This one had loads of tiny details... not really sure how to do this detail density in 20 mins...

Name:  Cap20-10.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  80.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damnn, man
    liked a lot your studies. The supernatural stuff is awesome !

34. The Following User Says Thank You to wasabi89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook =) Your figure studies are awesome, but my favorites are the environments. Would love to see how you'd do environments from imagination based on the practice you've done. I also really like the Bouguereau study!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to KDillon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wasabi89 - Thanks, those were fun!

KDillon - Thank you! You're right, I really need to do some enviro stuff from imagination... it's just kind of a leap I'm nervous to take. I don't feel like I have the mental library to do that sort of thing yet, which is silly, I should just jump right in and practice. =)

Oh geez, I really haven't posted since October? Oh man.

I was super busy with a design-type project that, unfortunately, left illustration by the wayside for a bit. But I am finally, FINALLY back in the game. Here's just some study-ish stuff:

Some man-eyes, all reffed from portrait-photos.org. (Despite the fact I know full well it isn't, I keep seeing that second one as Justin Beiber.)

Name:  ManEyes.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  50.4 KB

20-minute screencap studies. I've finally moved on from Doctor Who; these are from Alien! (Rewatched it a couple of nights ago, and was struck by how beautifully the whole thing was lit.)

Name:  Cap20-11.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  21.2 KB

Name:  Cap20-12.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  32.7 KB

A photo study, ref here. Not feeling too good about this one, because the only really challenging part was the water, and I kind of botched it. (JUST realized now I forgot all the little orange highlights, OH WELL.)

Name:  Enviro008.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  62.0 KB

Aaaaand a random... face... thing, maybe 30 minutes. Just an attempt to REMEMBER HOW TO DRAW after doing very little art for over a month. (Which, considering I still consider myself an illustrator, is WAY TOO LONG.) The facial structure here is godawful; I was just trying to get my hand moving.

Name:  Genericface.png
Views: 1571
Size:  459.8 KB

Next goal: get my portfolio together, find some ILLUSTRATION WORK.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great updates, good studies, but really do like the last portrait the most!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rumpenstiltzkin - Thanks! Interesting, I really wasn't happy with the portrait... or rather, I was happy with it for what it was, a doodle to get my brain working, but less so on its own merits. XD

More 20-minute studies from Alien! Super happy with the first one, much less so with the second. (BEARD.)

Name:  Cap20-13.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  24.1 KB

Name:  Cap20-14.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  21.4 KB

And here's the very, very early stages of a commission for a friend, of a bunch of her roleplaying characters playing poker. Not a lot of wiggle room for the composition/design/etc, but it should be fun trying to do this many characters in one shot. =D

Name:  LisaProgress01.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  56.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha well i think sometimes the things we dont spend to much time on or think to much on is some of the better, studies can get a bit to stiff, and i just like the things from the mind more sometimes
    again nice screencap studies, also the pokertable one will be interesting to see finished! i still fear of doing anything with more characters in it D:

42. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rumpenstiltzkin - Yeah, most of the stuff I've done with lots of characters has been commissions for friends, and it's always really interesting because it's not something I'd generally think of doing myself. Challenges are fun! =D

More 20-minute film things. I might go back to Alien, but these are from Hellboy II which... look, I'm not gonna lie, this is one of my favourite movies. The plot is OKAY, but the lighting and art direction and colour and character design and everything else are just utterly perfect. Also, I love that elf man. (I might do some longer studies from this film, some of the scenery is so visually dense, but so, so gorgeous.)

Name:  Cap20-15.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  Cap20-16.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  Cap20-17.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  Cap20-18.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  41.5 KB

Some more progress on the poker picture, in which you can see how haphazardly it's developing. I have no attention span.

Name:  LisaProgress02.jpg
Views: 1521
Size:  59.4 KB

Finally, uh... the D&D 4th-ed character builder now allows custom character portraits, which of course meant I had to DROP EVERYTHING and draw my RP characters, because PRIORITIES.

Finished:

Name:  Crowcatcher.png
Views: 1560
Size:  448.8 KB

In progress:

Name:  SaranyaPortraitProgress.png
Views: 1528
Size:  618.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a moment of "how do I folds" so I did a few studies from The Sartorialist.

Name:  ClothingStudies01.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  149.2 KB

A bit more progress on the poker picture...

Name:  LisaProgress03.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  74.2 KB

And a bit more progress on my Deva lady. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell to do with her headpiece; no design foresight here, whoops.

Name:  SaranyaPortraitProgress2.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  78.7 KB

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15