Sketchbook: Rev needs to draw more - AND SHE'S BACK! - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Rev needs to draw more - AND SHE'S BACK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your photo studies are really beautiful.
    Your other illustrations as well, of course. ^^

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shockowaffel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Subscribed. Excellent sketchbook. I love your style, and your subject matter. Thanks for sharing.

I'm also (not-so) secretly a huge nerd who loves and still plays D&D.

SHADOWBOOK | BLOGSPOT
    Looking for critique!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadow Stalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Obstfelder - Thanks! Don't think I quite fixed the androgyny in the final, but I tried to soften up the bone structure and jawline a little. I don't think the ugly expression helps, I guess.

sin eater - Thank you, I can see what you mean with the lights on the CHoW... honestly, I wanted to have one side more or less in shadow, but I guess some more lighting would help it be a bit more dynamic. =)

Immortal Cintiq - Thanks a lot! Working hard. =)

Mr.Pryminista - Thanks a ton for the crit, that's actually a really interesting thing to hear. One of my biggest beefs with my own work at the moment is the fact that the finals tend to feel overworked and lifeless, so I've actually been trying to make them slightly less finished, if that makes sense. But I may not be going about it the right way, and maybe adding some extra dynamism in the way you suggest is a better route than just stopping before everything's at 100%. (And you're right about line weight. I know the rule - I used to do a fair bit of ink work - but hell if I remember to follow it when I'm just doodling, which I really should.)

shockowaffel - Thanks! Should be doing more of 'em soon.

Shadow Stalker - Thanks a lot, man, I never actually have figured out how to subscribe to things. D&D is awesome; it's actually one of the major factors that got me back into this style of art - I left school doing very editorial type stuff, and D&D reminded me that characters and narrative are what I really care about.

STILL ON A HEAD KICK. I need to get back to real portfolio building.

Still on a D&D character kick, too. Here's a tiefling I've been playing. The whole horns-as-brows thing makes it really hard to get a non-angry expression, which is annoying when you're trying to paint a laid back, cheerful guy.

Not done yet, not sure how I feel about it stylistically, and the horns and armor still need a lot of work. (His shoulders... make very little sense at the moment.) Man, when did I go from doing nothing but studies to nothing but original crap? BALANCE.

Name:  SweetProgress.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  187.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the colors of this one. I've only recently tried anything other than B&W/greyscale. I see what you mean about the horn brow thing, haha.

I actually have the option to subscribe to a thread when I post in it. But you can subscribe to a thread manually by clicking on "Thread Tools" -> "Subscribe to this Thread" at the top of the thread (where the Stars are).

SHADOWBOOK | BLOGSPOT
    Looking for critique!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadow Stalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shadow Stalker - Hey, thanks! Colours are hard, good on you for having the patience to get the hang of value first. =) I'll have to try figuring out this subscription thing.

A little more work on this, I think I'm actually going to put it aside for a bit, maybe come back to it in a week or two - there's a lot of stuff that's bugging me, and I'm still not sure if I like the style. Also, man, never gonna make it in fantasy illustration unless I can get the hang of painting armor.

Name:  SweetProgress2.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  171.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice progress your figure sketches has dramatically improved!I got a question for you, hope you dont mind. I always see you posting-which is great, and ive always been wondering do you work as a freelance or you work at a company full time?

"Many of life's failures are the people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    -Thomas Edison

Concept Art Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=219673

http://kimozabbi.deviantart.com/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kimozabbi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kimozabbi Thanks! I'm a freelancer, but haven't had any illustration work since I ditched my old style and rebooted my portfolio from the ground up. Most of what keeps the lights on is website design and motion graphics, but I'm also heading to GenCon in August in an attempt to finally get some illustration work. Hence the terrified, frantic portfolio building going on at the moment. =)

HAPPY CANADA DAY. (Well, I guess it's over now...) Since it's the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812, there was a tallship fight re-enactment going on today! Didn't get too many sketches done, but here's one of the ships, some re-enactors and spectators, and a terrible portrait of a friend of mine playing cards later in the day.

Name:  Out004.png
Views: 954
Size:  95.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    happy canada day, lol. im sure youll do great coz with that hard working attitude of yours yea, youll do fine. your new style is great, keep it at!

"Many of life's failures are the people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    -Thomas Edison

Concept Art Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=219673

http://kimozabbi.deviantart.com/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kimozabbi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Snap!Really awesome colours!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Izene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kimozabbi - Thanks a lot. =) I'm hoping!

Izene - Thank you!

I said I wasn't going to work on this for a while and then I worked on it anyway. Maybe now I can put it aside for a week or two. Or, going by my apparent track record, maybe not.

Name:  SweetProgress3.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  188.3 KB

So I've been struggling over what sort of characters to pick for the random character shots I'm planning to do, and I decided I'd just do a whole bunch (10 or 12?) in sketch form, and take the best half to final. Here's the first sketches - my favourite is the mage guy; the dwarf is probably not going any further. Floaty woman... who knows.

(The fun part, and the reason I only got 3 done, is that I actually shot ref for all of these. I've found it's too much of a pain to match the pose if I do it later, so I've just given up and started doing it from the get-go. Very loosely reffed, though, as I just posed myself and I don't exactly have the body type to be a dwarf or a guy.)

Name:  CharacterRoughs.png
Views: 931
Size:  150.8 KB

I seriously need to do some studies tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    solid sketchbook! nuff said.

Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

18. The Following User Says Thank You to poetry man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Revidescent!

Nice sketchbook, I have random thoughts about it.

You are good at paying attention to lighting, I think this is one of your strong points.

Your landscapes not as strong as character/portrait stuff (me too, probably like people better than trees haha)

You dont put lineart in many of your paintings, but I really like the way you did it in #241. This is a very nice painting imo.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the blocky style paintings you did (#336, 339..) these are great, I'd love to see more! 339 is really strong, the simplification of things like the hydrant and bicycle is excellent.

I liked the color scheme you came up with for your city guard design (276)

You seem pretty hard on yourself. Good to be critical, but you are good, and dont get too frustrated with your work because perfection is impossible, all that matters is "keep going & learn from mistakes"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Wholewheat_keyboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    poetry man - Thanks, man!

Wholewheat_keyboard - Wow, that's a hell of a comment, thank you so much. You're reminding me of a lot of stuff I really need to do more of. =) Maybe I am too hard on myself, I guess it's just the artist's curse of my ability to recognize mistakes always progressing faster than my ability not to make them, and the frustration that comes from that. I'll try to be more positive!

As pointed out, I'm not so good at landscape stuff, and I haven't done a study of one in a while, so, uh, here. The foliage is iffy, but I'm quite happy with how the rocks came out.

[REF]

Name:  Enviro017.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  276.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love that landscape. Nice work!

Free for commissioned work

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, MeteorCat!

HEY GUYS THE SKETCHBOOK IS ONE YEAR OLD TODAY. PARTY TIME.

Name:  Sketchbookiversary.png
Views: 848
Size:  186.0 KB

(Also happy 4th of July to you American folks, maybe?)

Started painting up the mage guy. Cropped because his body is kind of a mess at the moment, to the point where I'm actually embarrassed to post it (tomorrow is another day, I'm sure I'll figure it out!) but I like how his face is looking.

Name:  MageGuyProgress.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  58.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there I enjoy your SB and took the liberty to do a quick overpaint of your last sketch because of it's rim light
    I rly like rim lights (and use them in photos a lot)
    Name:  attachment-1.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  57.1 KB

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Infinit - Thanks a lot, and thanks for taking the time for the paintover... I didn't really end up applying it, as I'm working from reference and that doesn't quite gel with it, but I may well end up altering the lighting before I'm done.

Some progress on mage guy, he's maybe... 50% finished? Everything below the waist is extremely questionable. Actually, a lot of what's above the waist is also extremely questionable. It's questionable all around.

Name:  MageGuyProgress2.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  139.0 KB

Aaaand a handful of Drawing Script gestures, some 60s and 90s.

Name:  DigiLifedrawing026.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  163.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work. my fave is the girl sitting in the field of grass

29. The Following User Says Thank You to idenzel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, nice new studies and I liked how the elf on the last page turned out. Good job! And yeah, she does look androgynous, which isn't a bad thing. You did say that you intended for the character to be so! lol.

I like this new character you're working on. Overall, it's looking solid. The first thing that stuck out to me is that he's a bit too dark. I'd play with the value range a bit more. I would just stay away from black period. Maybe a black and white image is what you are going for, maybe not. If not, then I'd stay away from pure black. Also, I'd put the figure against lighter mid-tone just so that we can clearly see the magical halo at the end of his staff. At first I couldn't tell. Putting it against a darker background would really help make it more readable.

And, on another note, my comment about making your work more finished, take that with a grain of salt. That comment was coming from someone who has a tendency to stiffen his drawings at higher stages because he has an unconscious with cleanliness. Just thought I would better clarify where I am coming. I could use a little looseness and stepping back myself.

Last edited by Mr.Pryminista; July 11th, 2012 at 11:14 AM.

ART. MORE. NOW.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Pryminista For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Denzel - Thanks! That was from a year ago, guess I need to try harder to top it. =D

Mr.Pryminista - Thanks for another great comment. I think my issue with the androgyny is that it's kind of an ongoing problem for me - half the girls I draw tend to be read as (pretty) men by at least one or two people. Doesn't bother me from a personal/character perspective, but as somebody looking for work, it seems like an issue from a professional perspective. Or maybe not! I actually have no idea. =) And you're 100% right about the mage guy's value structure; I've been trying to figure out a way to lighten up some costume bits without messing up the lighting and it's more of a struggle than it ought to be. I'll definitely darken the background a bit, too.

I actually got a whole lot done today, but it was mostly prep work, half-finished studies, and minute progress on stuff posted previously, so this is all that's going up for now... some 15-minute photo studies. Haven't done anything like this in a while; it was actually pretty refreshing, since I tend to get so caught up in detail and texture, sometimes to the detriment of the whole. Need to do more of these.

Obsessive ref linking is not happening here, but they're from either here or National Geographic.

Name:  15MinColours-01.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  256.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GUESS WHO HAD A REALLY PRODUCTIVE DAY. HINT, IT'S ME.

Some more 15 minute photo studies. I'm gonna try to get into the habit of doing one or two of these a day; they're super useful.

Name:  15MinColours-02.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  146.1 KB

Clothing study. Ref from this photo set.

Name:  FashionGuyStudy.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  76.1 KB

Some composition noodling for a new illustration - basic concept, a guy sneaking through the forest leaves his lantern behind. I'm probably going to go with the first of the colour roughs at the bottom, though I can't shake the feeling I've seen an extremely similar picture somewhere before, and it's driving me crazy. (Though there's a pretty good chance it's just a severely misremembered Vampire Outcasts I'm thinking of.)

Name:  LanternComps.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  400.3 KB

Aaaand finally, a little progress on Mage Guy. There's not a huge amount of forward motion exactly, but a lot of anatomy tweaking, an attempt to lighten him up a little as suggested, and most importantly a new cape, as I realized it was previously occupying the same space as his back leg.

Name:  MageGuyProgress3.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  118.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update, there. It's cool seeing your thumbnail process.

One suggestion on the Mage Guy: I think his head is a tad too big? Other than that, I like the progress and anatomy fixes. It feels great to be productive, but difficult to get into the mindset. I haven't had much luck getting anything solid down in the past two weeks... I'm going to draw right now. Thanks for the inspiration.

SHADOWBOOK | BLOGSPOT
    Looking for critique!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadow Stalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

37. The Following User Says Thank You to carakhan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shadow Stalker - Thank you, my thumbnail process is haphazard at best, compositions are seriously hard. You're probably right on the head size; I'll check that out. And yes, you're totally right, the mindset can be difficult. I've found that drawing every day helps, with the determination not to break the chain... even if the goal is to spend at least 15 minutes a day, sometimes all it takes is /starting/ and once you're into it you want to keep going - and if you're not feeling it, well, then at least you haven't gone several days without drawing at all. Glad I could inspire you. =)

carakhan - Thanks!

OKAY SO I know I'm working on a whole bunch of different things at once; this is not due to complete lack of attention span (I have some attention span) but rather because I'm trying to put together a large amount of work in a fairly short time, so jumping around a lot allows me to put several things aside and get a fresh perspective a few days later. In case you're wondering why I just keep starting new things when this thread is thick with half-finished art. =)

On that note, took the floaty woman from a few posts back and started painting her up. I wasn't planning on colour, but I accidentally shot reference with a cool dual-light-source thing going on and had to use it. (Although in the ref the warm light is cool and the cool light is warm, and I flipped them because... honestly, I don't know why.) Super WIP right now, maybe 2 or 3 hours in. I'm happy with the skin colours but not the rendering; it has a sort of blotchy, plastic thing going on right now.

Name:  FloatyProgress.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  176.9 KB

Another rough for a possible character shot, still planning to generate more of these than I actually need.

Name:  BarbarianSketch.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  71.6 KB

Finally, some more of those 15 min photo studies. Struggled with these today.

Name:  15MinColours-03.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  88.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I Love your work! Your character designs are amazing truly inspiring you make me want to draw! Till i start and then im just jealous and envious of you hahaha

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Arteast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arteast - Thank you so much! =D

Last night instead of going to bed I accidentally painted a drow, oops.

Name:  Iaccidentallyadrow.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  70.7 KB

More progress on floaty woman!

Name:  FloatyProgress2.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  158.1 KB

No studies today, maybe I'll fit something in before I crash? Either way posting now.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great work! your improving in leaps and bounds! i love the little 15 min photostudies, and the longer photostudies are amazing! that one you did with you as ref, holding the knife out was great!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

44. The Following User Says Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickyBeats - Thanks a lot! I really need to find time for more studies.

Nearly done this one; might drop it for a couple of days before the final push. I mostly just need to refine her skirt thing a little more, finish the coins or whatever they are around her waist and hovering in her hands, and maybe put something on the ground. Also I've lengthened her legs a couple of times, and I think they may still be a bit short? I've really got to stop using myself as reference; I'm way too goofily proportioned.

Name:  FloatyProgress3.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  188.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the floaty woman!!

Everything seems to be improving quickly so you must be doing something right!

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the floaty woman. It has the nice blend of hard and soft edges. Your rendering skills have leveled up. Cant wait to see the finished version. Oh and congrats on your one year sktechbook anniversary. Keep it going forevarrr! unless world ends this year =.= XD

sense of purpose
    my sketchbook

49. The Following User Says Thank You to sin eater For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 377