Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    rumpenstiltzkin - Thanks! I think you're right about the arm; the pose has changed so many times, but that arm has remained static throughout, which... could cause problems, yeah.

SO. SEVERE DAILY POSTING FAIL. I haven't fallen out of the SB this bad since the start of the year. I've drawn most days since my last post (missed at least one...) but between a huge amount of (unfortunately not illustration) work and having somebody visit for the weekend, posting was not a thing.

I have a couple of sketchbook drawings that I'll scan tomorrow; for now, here's a study in progress. It's maybe 3 hours in, most of that futilely fighting the face. I have no idea why it's giving me so much trouble.

[REF]
    Attachment 1499769

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looking at the reference, her eyes might be a bit lower and closer together but your image looks fabulous I wouldn't worry about that.

Great job mate!
    Free for commissioned work

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    MeteorCat - Checked and double checked with some guidelines - the eyes were placed more or less correctly (though I did mess with their shape and angle a little) but the lips were super low, and the chin was way too long, which. So glad I checked. =D

Trying to do some more stuff from life. I got a new watercolour-friendly sketchbook, and am trying to remember how the hell ink and/or watercolour work. They were my main media in school; I've barely touched them for a good two years now. Rusty doesn't even begin to cover it.

THESE ELLIPSES ARE HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE. Straight into pen on this sort of perspective challenge = poor life choice. Terrible, streaky markers = additional poor life choice.
    Attachment 1500470

This one's a little better? TREE.
    Attachment 1500469

And a little more poking at this head, with the changes mentioned above.

[REF]
    Attachment 1500481

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Little more work on this. Oh god, what do I do with these clothing textures. I just. What.

[COMPULSIVE REF LINKING]
    Attachment 1501110

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Always a pleassure to lurk thru your pages and progres
    your blowing my mind your skills are just blasting ahead.
    clothing textures? i like to actually focus more line work on those?
    like individual pockets of sketches that are detailed and hide the rest?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I wouldn't work too much on the clothes as it looks great like this. If you ask me, when it comes to the clothes, I'd call it more or less done

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    AdrianNagorski - Thanks! That makes sense.

MeteorCat - Thanks, yeah, I do tend to overwork things... I think there are some areas I can leave alone, but some of them just aren't... accurate? I guess? Like, visibly unfinished, at least to me.

I keep thinking I have it out of my system, but no, sometimes I still need to draw this lady.

Flawed, but I think I'm getting better at unreferenced heads.

Attachment 1501639

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Calling it a day on this one; I still see problems, but it's time to move on.

[REF, ONE MORE TIME]
    Attachment 1502236

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So it looks like I may be trying CHoW this week? Here's some early progress on the character sheet; tomorrow, I'll scan the sketchbook design scribblings that got it to this point. Because I am in bed with a laptop and my scanner is like 4 feet away.

Attachment 1502949

Thanks
    I started this today on a whim, and thought I would actually be able to finish it, but it's not QUITE there yet, and it's getting pretty late. I'm going back to the CHoW tomorrow, just had an impulse to do this. (I've been wearing boots and shorts lately. I wanted to draw somebody in boots and shorts. This does not actually make sense.)

I actually want to do a few greyscale character shots like this as portfolio work anyway, so hey.

HEAVILY photo reffed. A rare occasion where I can use a shot of myself for reference without completely redrawing the body type.

Attachment 1503601

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Drapery looking really nice and convincing on that last one

Something looks a little off on the boot closest the the viewer maybe.
    -----------------------------------------
    My Website!
    http://www.whirlydesign.com

My Artstation
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/whirly

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whirly - Thanks, I think (hope?) I fixed it!

Aaaand done. I worked on it for over an hour more, and I think the differences are barely noticeable unless you overlay the two.

I was going to put a magic effect on her back hand, but I think I like the gesture as it is. A sort of smarmy "go ahead, try your luck".

Name:  Scrapper.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  99.0 KB

Thanks
    Starting in on the final for CHoW. Still haven't posted in the actual thread. It's been so long since I've completed one that I feel like officially throwing my hat in the ring will jinx it or something. =\

Attachment 1504787

Thanks
    I kind of hate this, I really want to scrap it and start over. The colours are all weird and it's so damn lifeless. I wonder if it's too late for that, to make the deadline? D:

Attachment 1505366

Thanks
    I totally love the colours in the last one, the only thing that seems static and lifeless is the window shape...the actual character is awesome...same with the last black white one. You've certainly improved since the last time I was here...keep going!

Thanks
    Psychobuddy - Thanks a lot! I liked the colours, but the actual rendering was just... I dunno, way too stiff, trying to do too much at once. D:

I started over after all. Nearly done, mostly just have to do the keys and fix the sleeves. The pose and the like are way more straightforward, but I think losing the overambitious lighting has let me paint a bit looser, and focus more on the actual character design which is, you know, the point of the challenge. And I like the intensity of the straight-on gaze.

(I still want to do a picture with that kind of light, but maybe at a point where I can figure out how to shoot better reference, blah.)

Attachment 1505955

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Doneskies! And I finally scanned some of the sketchbook development stuff for it. Normally I noodle around way more, but I have a tendency not to finish CHoWs because of spending way too long in the development stages, so once I hit on something I liked, I just latched on to it.

Name:  Keymaster.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  258.3 KB

Attachment 1506506

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    the chow turned out really nice, like the colors alot!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to rumpenstiltzkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I really like this character too. I really admire that you pushed through and suddenly started from the beginning as this character has much more presence than the one before.

Great job Rev!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    rumpenstiltzkin - Thanks! I'm happy with 'em, for once. =)

MeteorCat - Thank you, that means a lot - more presence is kinda what I was going for, despite the simpler comp and lighting.

Sooo today I did some stuff. First, some Drawing Script gestures for the first time in what seems like forever. And I honestly think I've improved at them, despite not doing them for like a month? I have no idea what lesson to take away here.

Attachment 1507169

I was curious how much I'd improved at made-up heads after a few months of working at it, so I redrew these couple from a few months ago. It's actually pretty heartening to see really noticeable improvement in such a short time, obviously I'm doing SOMETHING right.

Attachment 1507170

I liked this one; spent 15 minutes throwing colours at it. (Edit: Okay, plus another 10 minutes, some stuff was bothering me.)

Attachment 1507204
    Last edited by Revidescent; June 26th, 2012 at 03:25 AM.

Thanks
    I didn't really need you to post the older stuff to see that you're improving all the time
    That 15 minute Elf painting is wonderful already. And every time I see your gesture drawings I say to myself "that's the level I want to get to".

Keep up the hard work!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to MeteorCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Found your stuff yesterday and I'm loving it! Literally went through every single post here and on your blog, haha. I need to be tougher about posting and practicing daily myself, hahaha. As for getting better despite not doing gestures for a while, sometimes we just need to take a break, do something else, and get back to it later. It works for both finished pieces and exercises!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to raindance168 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    MeteorCat - Thank you! I'm really insecure about my gesture drawing; I spend a lot of time looking at gestures by animators. Animators can do gestures like nobody's business.

raindance168 - Thanks a lot! Drawing every day is so important, and posting is a good way to hold to that, I think. =) And I think you're right, maybe stepping back for a while is good.

A few brushpen sketches from down by the waterfront. One of these days I'm going to be brave enough to actually draw one of those boats. THERE ARE MANY BOATS.

Attachment 1508047

And a few figures from imagination.

Attachment 1508046

Thanks
    I decided I actually wanted to finish this one. Not there yet, maybe one more session - her expression still needs a lot of work (sneers are hard), the neck and shoulder area is really unfinished and, like way too many people I draw, she's drifting towards androgyny. (I think it'd be way less ambiguous if not for, y'know, elf.)

But y'know what's fun? Crazy tangled hair. Yeah, that's fun.

Attachment 1508464

Thanks
    Nice sketchbook and great improvement.

The androgyny in the last one comes from female proportions but hard edges (visible bone structure) in the face. and the strong jawline of course.

I've found that a good trick to iron out the mistakes is to construct the same face several times and cross checking with reference between each attempt.

Nothing wrong with drawing it the way you do though, unless you need to be able to for a specific project or client.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Those gestures are amazing as always. Your anatomy is getting better and better. I love the planning stages of ChOW. The painting looks awesome. Although The left side is a bit darker. I think you can put a little more bounce lights and rim lights and set a overall color tone . But thats just me.
    The tangled hair guy looks good. I like the looseness of the painting, and ofcousre the hair .

That lady with the draw me like one of your french girls pose is amazing! I love the dress textures.
    Keep them coming!
    sense of purpose
    my sketchbook

45. The Following User Says Thank You to sin eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kudos! You've improved a great deal since the last time I was here. =D

Jealous of your progress.
    Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Immortal Cintiq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey there, like your work. I think you're foundations are pretty solid. I think what you could work on is taking your works to a higher finish. What I mean by that is always pushing yourself to do that extra "5%" thats "always" there to work on. For instance, just darkening the edge of a form a bit more, or softening an edge, or adding just a few interesting marks here and there in the background just to give your pieces more "life".

On your line work, I'd say that you should always watch your line weight and make some variations with it. Thicker lines as the outlines of bigger with thinner lines on the inside. This is a general rule of thumb and you can play with it all you want.

Hope this helps. Keep the updates coming. Rock on!

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Pryminista For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I was all ready to post and then crash, and people have left such lovely in-depth comments that I should RESPOND TO but I will do that tomorrow because I am falling asleep. BUT THANKS, GUYS! =D

Finished elf. I'm really happy with her, except for the fact that it's hard to tell she's female. (And, uh, she's an old roleplay character of mine and... she'd be happy with that, I think. But doesn't make for a good portfolio piece which, WHEN DID THIS BECOME A PORTFOLIO PIECE.)

Attachment 1509039

I feel like something's really clicked with the head drawing just recently. I still have a long way to go, especially drawing more realistic, less cartoony style, but it feels much more natural now. Here is some guy.

Attachment 1509038

Thanks
    Your photo studies are really beautiful.
    Your other illustrations as well, of course. ^^

52. The Following User Says Thank You to shockowaffel For This Useful Post:

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast