Art: L. E. Burgess' Portfolio

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile L. E. Burgess' Portfolio

Hi- I'm L. E. Burgess, an up-and-coming comic book artist, although I wish to branch off into other creative fields someday. I've just launched my first webcomic, FUnK OFF!, and would really appreciate some critiques of my work to date.

Cheers!

L. E. Burgess' Portfolio

L. E. Burgess' Portfolio

L. E. Burgess' Portfolio

Justice League International TM and Copyright DC Comics

L. E. Burgess' Portfolio

Last edited by LEBurgess; July 6th, 2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Hotlinking from deviantART isn't good.
    Writer/artist on Spacegirl!, the hottest new sci-fi/superhero webcomic!

Twitter
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bump, because I wasn't aware of the whole deviantART/hotlinking no-no. Hopefully you can all see the images now!

Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well to be honest you have A LOT of work you need to do. It seems you are missing a lot of fundamentals. What you need to do it start all over, drop the 'style' you are using and begin with realism, this way you know WHY you are doing something instead of doing it because you've seen it somewhere else. There is a link in my signature that is called "tutorials" you should have a look, and dig through some of the information that is provided, Like posts by Jeffx99 on Fundamentals and Still lifes. These are things that will help you improve greatly so you can get where you want to go and do what you want to do.

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Diarum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how old are you dude, if your a kid, then this is pretty nice, if not, you do need alot of practice. if anything, learn photoshop, this would atleast make your work alot more presentable/ appealing to look at. as it stands this is very rudimentary and pretty lackluster. aside from the lack of anatomy, this just doesn;t make me want to invest more time with it. good luck though, and keep getting betterer

7. The Following User Says Thank You to +oas+ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there, L. E. Burgess! You have some very cute looking work here!

Now, you say you wish to branch off into other creative fields, but you've recently just launched your webcomic. I agree that you have plenty to work on and think about. It looks like you've really just begun to lift off and journey with your art.

Right now you're drawing in a set style, but it's good to see that you wish to broaden your horizons, because that also means you can broaden your knowledge of different mediums to use, and different styles to learn about! I can't say much about the style, but one thing you'll need to do is work on cleaning up your lines. I see marks outside of outlines and guide lines barely visible (but visible) beneath colours. You need to clean those up and the neatness alone will help bring up the level of your art. Also, learning about human anatomy and proportions by doing some figure drawings (and gesture drawings!), can really help bring out expressions and movement in a style. There is plenty of info here on CA, including links to some very awesome books and tutorials, that can be useful.

For your webcomic, since you're doing it traditionally, be careful not to tire yourself out. From my experience, making a page alone can be a LOT of work, especially if you want it to be polished and clean as possible. It's a good way to turn a person off of continuing with a comic. I like your cross hatching in the comic, but like I mentioned paragraphs before, you need to clean up your lines. It's easier said than done, but practice will help a great deal. Believe me! As well, using mediums with such a fine tip does give a kiddish look to the comic, but you can achieve a fun look in many other ways, including digital colouring! There are MANY tutorials on digital colouring, too. I suggest as you work, try out some different mediums and see what works better, what helps make the comic look even more complete. Oh! And check out Panels of the Week section here for some great info, challenges and entries surrounding comics!

Take your time with whatever you wish to do next, but I too encourage you to find out more information about how to really start practicing and learning about the fundamentals. Wish I could say more, but I'm long-winded enough as is.

Good success to you!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks!

Thank you all for your critiques! It's very much appreciated, especially from a knowledgeable bunch as yourselves.

What I forgot to mention is that I do draw in a somewhat realistic style (more for like pinups and shading warmups than comics), I just opted to show off the more cartoony stuff. I'll post some of that stuff soon!

Twitter

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.