Quite fun to draw metal muscles!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LibertineM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, here are some pencils for mine:

I probably won't get around to finishing it on time with my schedule for the rest of the week looking pretty darn rough. But it's been perfect to get my creative juices flowing again after being a bit sleepy for the last week, so I'm content.

"Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you"

Sketchbook
    DeviantART

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lacelette For This Useful Post:

Leo Ki is offline Trying to tame that growling stylus Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Artfix View Post
    (About EnchantedDoll) Wow this site is giving me the jibblies big time. Does this not creep anyone else out?? These collectors...I dunno maybe I've seen too much TV but...I wouldn't turn my back to them.
    What do you mean? I have 65'536 dolls in my mansion in the woods and I know each one of all of them by her name. I protect them from the vampires. A hundred and twenty four years ago, a light springtime afternoon, a magpie flew in and tried to peck off Blue Splendor of the Infinite Ocean's eye. It took me all night to hunt the bird through the woods but I got it and drowned it in the pool. Since then I keep the windows closed. Yesterday my black cat brushed Velvet Beauty of the Starry Night's face with its tail. It took me all night to hunt the damn cat through the mansion but I got it and drowned it in the pool. Please come and have a tea with my dolls, Artfix. Guest bedroom 13 has 256 dolls who will welcome you. But don't touch them. Do. Not. Touch. My. Dolls.

But seriously, after browsing a few shots on that website I closed the browser window as if jumping out the window of a haunted mansion. Could someone please hold my hand while I search for joint refs? EDIT: Mr. Corlan, your doll collage freaks me out

Ok, I'll be back with crits and drawings tonight. And, Artfix, you better draw too yourself

Last edited by Leo Ki; July 6th, 2011 at 06:58 AM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leo Ki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Leo Ki, & artfix thanks for that, I needed a good laugh, I feel the same way as you two do

I did come across one that isn't too bad, he's not a builder, or collector really, but he paints dolls with amazing detail, most are recognizable people and characters.. .. really interesting to look through http://noeling.deviantart.com/gallery/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KittyKaida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wip
    Name:  steam-dancer.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  100.3 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Chow#251_copp.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  140.5 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blankstate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FunnyFace & Aly Fell, Thanks for the feedback. I tried to crop the image at the ankles after I realized the guy in the foreground didn't work in perspective with the crowd in the background and its been bugging me since I started. I've added in the feet and made the crowd a bit larger in an attempt to have them look like they're standing on the same floor. I'll try and sort the reflections out on the floor, maybe that will help.

I wonder why it looks uncomfortable with it cropped (aside from the peg leg issue)? Maybe its the dodgy perspective...

Edit - I also tried to make the wall where it meets the ceiling a bit less extreme in perspective

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gadbury For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has been a moment or two...*dusting off my wacom*...I am in.

Some really wonderful work already: Mr. Gabury, GEB...just beautiful.

••• •••••••••••••••••••

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeNineteen For This Useful Post:

GEB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr.Gadbury: First of all, it's a fantastic, gorgeous piece with scads of personality & style. When I look at the composition, though, the bottom does seem a little static: my eye slides off there. I'd be tempted to extend the bottom of the canvas a little more, and pull some lights into the reflections on the floor, just to give the eye something to cling to.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Smolin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SaintLconcept - cool face. great start on details. I always take notes on your colours

JanJager - love your style. perfect little doll face

Mistermike - coming along nicely

Dreoilin - very cool composition!

Vibhas - belly dancer + mech + sword = win

fragmented chimp - love that loose feel

redpen - my fave sketch so far, keen to see it develope

Leo Ki - cool studies. I really like your lower left face!

funny face - good start. keen to see how this progresses

Jager - love your faces man. lighting is excellent

libertineM - classic look & pose

lacelette - very cute

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Narko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bit of update

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay got a lot of reviews, but I wanted to acknowledge everyone's attempts. I also tried to find some nitpick in all, but it's not definitive. I just toss in a few suggestions. Take the advice or leave it - I don't mind.

@Mr. Gadbury: Beautiful and fits the mood for certain, but I think it stretches the topic a bit since I don’t think she could be mistaken or assumed to be human. There isn’t much softness to the doll other than the dress and the mask. Still, it’s well rendered and technically spot on.

@tbaldree: I like the cartoony feel of it. She definitely has a doll like face, while still being very organic. The bustle works well with steam punk “style”. Still, as a nitpick, I think the rest of her skirt is sort of out of the clothing styles that you typically see in steam punk.

@do9: Welcome to CHOW! On first sketch it seems like you have a good start. The dress is good and the pose looks good. I’m interested in seeing it a little more developed in detail before I can really say more definitively.

@Kafka Dreams: I like the dress and the Spanish look as it gives her a bit of an exotic feel. It can work in the steam punk genre. The pose is a little odd though. I know she’s twirling and twisting, but it looks disconnected. The leg kicking up seems a bit short and too high up on her hip. Other than that, good start. 

@Mistermilke: Very good story telling, but I would like to see more of it come together. I like the idea of the jack the ripper life-stealing. It's communicated quite well.

@kingkostas: Beautiful character design and I like the doll look to her. However, I don’t see anything iconically steam punk in this sketch. This character could just as easily be in any scifi. I don’t see any Victorian/post-victorian dress, gears, steam, pipes, odd contraptions. Still, great pose, and great start.

@ssandulak: All those little sketches are decent poses. Not sure which one I like most. Number five might come off kind of bland. 1-3 are better.

@Dreoilin: One of my favorites. You’ve pulled in the doll, the scientist and the atmosphere all in one sketch! I can’t wait to see this all come together.

@Rachel Pierce: I love her face, and I think the pose is very well drawn, though it does come off awkward. Of course, contortionists do this, but I think the leg blocking her head is where I’m having issue with it.

@vibhas_virwani: another favorite. I love the gadgetry and gears witht eh puppet strings. She looks exotic an mechanically, but organic enough so that people might disregard it and feel that the robot bits are part of her costume. Well done. Are you going to color it? Or leave it B&W? Either way it still works.

@Caspia: I like the idea of the half-constructed doll. I would like to see more Victorian elements and steam gadgets/gears/clocks/etc though. 

@Snippet: The pose works but I don’t sense steam punk in this at all. I don’t get any scifi, mystical, or Victorian feel from this. The dress can be modified a bit more to fit the bill, but it’s still not work

@SaintLConcept: Very creepy! Once it’s all cleaned up and rendered it’ll work very well. Are you going to put more background into it?

@fragmentedchip: I hope you finish on time! The skirt looks right on, and the face looks really nice. The arms are looking a lot better. Something looks a little strange with her midsection. Perhaps try a corset?

@GEB: Love the porcelain face and the blue designs on it. You’ve completely captured the life-like doll look.

@Leo Ki; I love the poses. Just be careful not to lose the steam punk in her eastern look. Cain’t wait to see more.

@no87: I like how she looks like a puppet and very interesting effects with her hair. The dress works, but there’s something weird going on with the way it’s folding around her hips and legs. Her right leg looks very awkward. She seems to have very little hip on her right side and her leg needs to be a bit longer. Try flipping it horizontally and it might make some things stand out.

@FunnyFace: Enjoying the sketches and especially the colors. It’ll be interesting to see how this turns out. The face sketch looks very slightly masculine to me. Perhaps try softening her eyebrows?

@JSpayde: Her head looks slightly small for her body, and her legs look a bit large. Her right leg looks a bit too long.

@Mr. Corian: You might feel bad about photo references, but you’ve placed them brilliantly for an awesome composition! Where do you get your photo refs?

@Jager: Very stylized. I dig the pose and the look of her. It needs more gadgetry, but I appreciate that you might not be finished. It feels like she’s sitting in a ruin rather than the steam-technology setting.

@KittyKaida: Nice form. I like your to-do list. Looks like you have a good idea of where to go and what you’ll be doing! The proportions are good, but the feet/ankles look off.

@Mongreldesigns: “This type of design can work but I think the inspiration is possibly a little TOO obvious.. She doesn’t feel very steam punk and a bit like a storm trooper. Perhaps a slightly different color scheme or some embellishments on her white plating can tighten up the design.

@Kissorkill: Really different pose. You’ve got the industrial feel, but I’d like to see something “punk” in the steam punk.

@JanJager: My favorite part of this is the old man. He looks so enamored with his creation. I’m interested to see this as you continue to refine it.

@LibertineM “Great lineart , proportions, pose and embelliments. I think color will be very important in pulling this one together. 

@Lacelette: The style is neat and she definitely has the doll-proportions. To me the scene/setting feels a little strange. Is she in her creator’s workshop?

@AdrianNagorski: Excellent pose and this could potentially have a lot of energy to it. The strings look a bit strange there.

@Blankstate: “I love the pose and she’s beautiful. The back full of gears definitely pulls in the steam element. However, I’d like to see more of the “punk” in steam punk.

24. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to RedPen For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Enjoying the work I am seeing so far Just interested in the details of the character at the moment. Will have to work the painting soon .

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhoYo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPen View Post
    @Lacelette: The style is neat and she definitely has the doll-proportions. To me the scene/setting feels a little strange. Is she in her creator’s workshop
    Yup! Cheers for the feedback!

Wowies, there are some really lovely pieces coming together on this thread! A few that particularly got my attentions though:

Mr. Gadbury - Stunningly beautiful piece! I would have to agree with Smolin though, the bottom half of the background needs a teensy bit of stability. The character design however is wonderful, and the atmosphere of the piece in general is well brought-together - a mixture of pride and flamboyance and cheerfulness. Just lovely.

JanJager - Beautiful and classic! Lovely composition and lighting, and sweet poses. It shows a lot of care. Also very properly antique with clothing etc.

GEB - Really interesting referencing! Judging by the beautiful thumbnail I can't wait to see more!

RedPen - Beautiful costume and linework, she seems very Moulin Rouge. The background confused me for a sec because of the thing she's holding, but I see the clockface now - good idea, since the first thing most have done is integrate massive amounts of cogs and gears into their image!

Rachel Pierce - awesome referencing and care in the pose and joints, good idea swinging it around though, it makes for really interesting composition! Just lovely!

LibertineM - Nice pencilling, the character definitely already brings a mechanical vibe across and it looks truly like something out of the Victorian workshops. Can't wait to see more background for it. I know it's not quite finished yet, but I would do something with her legs or ankles as well to balance her out a bit - there's a hell of a lot of detail on her top half!

Jager - Beautiful piece, lovely lighting and moody atmosphere, gorgeous girl... But right now that is all I can say about it! At this stage we can only assume that the background will have something more relevant to the subject in it? It looks truly lovely, I just wish there was more steampunk in it! Either way I can't wait to see what it turns out like!

Sketchbook
    DeviantART

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lacelette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really stretched for time this week but had this idea floating around upstairs. Will probably keep it in B&W with simple backdrop (curtains/stage)

Idea is that the doll is just a part of a larger more sinister robotic entity.
    I was going for a organic/spider feel for the main body, playing on the Black Widow idea... a femme fetale who lure her victims in only to sting them with the bitter kiss of a love unrequited.

Instead of going with a very dynamic pose for the doll i am trying to push the fact that although 'she' controls her besotted, she is in turn controlled by other non human devices.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Narko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 398 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @JanJager - Thanks! I love the disembodied hands on the table in yours. The hand he's working on looks a bit too big though.

@Leo Ki - Heh heh. You're welcome. I did it just for you.

@Mr. Gadbury - The cropping looks better, but right now the bottom is just a bunch of vertical stripes, you need some horizontals to break that up. There seems to be a very strong lights source directly above the pair. I'd think there would be some light on the floor around their feet, which might do it. The light would overpower the reflections in that spot and make it a bit more grounded.

@Redpen - Cool, thanks! I mostly just hunt around on google images for my references, though sometimes I use GettyImages. There's a couple of different figures from CharacterDesigns in the girl. The ceiling bits are chopped out of some BioShock image (hence the giant drill). The guy on the stool is me (sshhhhhh . . . don't tell anyone); I also took a picture of myself for the girl from the same camera position and with the proper position relative to the stool so I knew the scale was right. The other few pictures in there are just from Google—searching for steampunk and girl robots and stuff. Hah. I'm not sure if you wanted that specific an answer, but you got it!

@PhoYo - Wow, ten posts in five years of membership?! Lookin good so far. Is her chest going to be actual gears and stuff? Right now it just looks like a bodice out of steampunk-patterned fabric.

@Narko - Cool idea, I might have to rip you off at some point in the future. It seems like it should be more separate though, and possibly a lot bigger. Some giant, spidery, marionette-controller thing that lurks above the stage. Here's a video that might get you into the mood: the first part of a feature-length film—all done with marionettes. Of course that's just my opinion, feel free to ignore.

Didn't get to work on mine today; Had to do my CoW. But keep up the good stuff y'all!

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Corlan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cleaned it up a bit, I only had an hour to throw at this one. I plan on putting some designs on her porcelain bits when I get her body more solid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm loving all this, from robotesque feels to gads classic ballroom blitz.

started another, i think il juggle them lol....
    cheers redpen i really do have to do something about that weird midsection, hopefully i can use the darkened background to fade away the silohuoette.

my book o' doodles

Interested in some Team CHOW? i'm all for it :3

35. The Following User Says Thank You to fragmentedchimp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn you guys, you really inspire me to push myself. I'm sure I'll be able to finish this before Sunday's deadline. Also, swine in general will have been airborne by then. :p

Update detail:

Niklas Hildebrand
    Criticism is always welcomed!
    My deviantArt gallery

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FunnyFace For This Useful Post:

mes is offline will draw for food Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work people

I just couldn't bring myself to do only the character with such a great story

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is an update to mine. I tried to address some of the issues with leg length and what not. I tried to add in a steam engine element too... there are some really good entries here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still very early, but wanted to post my progress (keep the momentum flowing!). Hope people can at least see what I'm going for now.
    I'm thinking she's been stored away for years after her master died amidst his other contraptions and tools. Lovingly placed of course with a skylight to always have her in the "spotlight."
    Some very cool stuff so far, I'll comment later when I have the time.
    Crits/comments welcome as always, keep it going all, turning out to be an impressive Chow so far

"As far as you and your work are concerned, life is line, tone, color, and design-plus your feelings about it." Andrew Loomis
    "A Lannister always pays his debts." -Tyrion Lannister

My Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...58#post2781858
    My DA - http://ssandulak.deviantart.com/
    My Tumblr - ssandulak.tumblr.com

Looking for work, send me a PM or email at ssandulak@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking about a sash or scarf ala Isadora Duncan for the background.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update

Name:  steampunk dancer1.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  103.1 KB

Not finished with her yet. Want to add a lot more to the backpack including steam coming out of it, and a glow from the power source.

Still need to decide what to do with the background. Originally I was going to have an abstract clock and gear style but now I'm thinking of having a group of shadowy men bidding on her like the auction in Taken, emphasizing that she's just a 'thing' I included two very rough backgrounds to show wha tI'm thinking of. Any thoughts?
    Name:  steampunk dancer2.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  steampunk dancer3.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  73.3 KB

As always, comments will be greatly appreciated

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
    mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all
    science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who
    can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,
    is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
    -Einstein

www.wolvescomic.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some randoms critiques of everyone's work to do with as you will:

@LibertineM she looks a little flat. Her Left hand looks a bit off, her thumb is too close to her wrist. Also if she is standing on her right foot than her toes should have some bend in them where they are taking her weight.

@ssandulak its still a bit underdone to offer too many comments on the proportions and whatnot, but her right hand is cut off oddly, why not extend the frame to include her whole hand?

JSpayde Her arms and especially her hands are very thick. Also, is she standing or hovering?

@mes Very cool flow to your composition. Love to see where you go with it

@funnyface awesome style. I don't know if you finished the steam yet, (i'm guessing no) but it doesn't fit well with anything else in the pic

@mongreldesigns style looks more sci-fi than steampunk. Could see her coming out of I, Robot

@Narko very cool idea but the doll's face is too scary to be a femme fatale. If she is the bait to draw the vitim in, then shouldn't she be much cuter/alluring?

@PhoYo I like her expression. Are the gears in her chest? They look drawn on her shirt. If you added a cavity or chest shell encasing the gears it would make her more three dimensional

@Jager love the mood and her expression. Iis she a robot? Are those wires going into her back? I thought at first they were vines or webs.

@blankstate love the Degas style

@Adrian Nagorski Very masculine jawline, also why is the pose cut off at her lower leg? Extend the frame and show her whole body

@Lacelette Watch the perspective. The middle of the stove looks flatter than the top and bottom, and the two tables seem to be on different planes

@Janjager beautiful colors Is that a floating hand in the bottom right? Why is it floating?

@kissorkill Very flat robot. I know we're looking at her in profile, but if we could see a little more of her back it would make her more 3D. Also the way her arms don't seperate until the elbow and she only has one leg makes her look very flat

Sorry I didn't get to everybody, but I've got a night class to go teach.

Cheers all,

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
    mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all
    science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who
    can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,
    is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
    -Einstein

www.wolvescomic.com

44. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kafka Dreams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Getting frustrated with the color scheme and general rendering. This is always my bane in these projects, imo. i may just start coloring it from scratch tomorrow. ><

I wanted to give her body a leathery-skin look. I think I need more grungy textures... I'm very tempted to leave a lot of the graphite alone and just clean it up.

Name:  steamprog2.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  295.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @redpen, maybe u got too much warm colors in it, my 2 cent
    @kafkadreams, the body looks off to me, but it could be spinning like that cause its a robot ...so ....okay maybe..

finished mine, decided not to give any background, cause i gotta do so much stuff this weekend starting tomorrow. so yeah,i'll leave her like this...this... not so cute steampunk 'doll' of mine

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaintLConcept For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GEB View Post
    Just did a really quick sketch as I think this is a great topic
    You call that a QUICK SKetch??

It's just hysteria because I like can't get the detail with so little like that so I was like wtf, quick sketch??? And then go and cry about my skills.

I'm bowled over by this thread and the quality of the inputs, GEB, JanJager, Rachel Pierce, Mr. Gadbury, Funnyface, Jager...well everybody & I love steampunk so I'm not complaining about the topic!

Since she's a robot/mannequin I'm guessing she can bend any which way, makes the whole thing more interesting.

Gaah..deadlines!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SaintLConcept - That is coming along fabulously!

Sketchbook
    DeviantART

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Lacelette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first chow!

rough wip .. any criticism is appreciated. Improving as an artist is my top priority. Please, feel free to be honestly rude

Hey you! Yes, you! Crit me!

My CA.org Sketchbook 1 Last page Bashing much needed and appreciated!
    My daily art blog (all the junk and personal crap that my CA sketchbook doesn't have)

Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime~

52. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cloudcan For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1