Form Analysis
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Form Analysis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Form Analysis

Regarding construction and 3D forms. I'm finding that use of 2D grids are becoming less useful as I'm breaking things down more and more. Right now I'm trying to do a proportion analysis of a cows head.

using images such as these:

When yo get into this level of detail I'm wondering what sort of mentality you adopt toward. Is your analysis purely notional space, or are you using any fractions or measurements.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the drawing class I'm taking, the teacher explained the following: After you've grasped overall gestural feel of the subject, while you are learning, you take measurements, compare proportions, get things looking right.
    As you master that skill, it becomes second nature, your brain becomes trained to see a number of proportions and relationships in a matter of seconds, often subconsciously.

So, what you do will largely depend on the level of your skill development. If you can't get it right quickly, then you may be at the stage where you need to slow down, and take some measurements (not necessarily with a ruler, but compare proportions, heights and widths of things, angles, relationships of one shape to another (front/back, size etc.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a bunch for the reply Conniekat8. That's very re-assuring as it sounds exactly like the path i'm taking.

I'm actually a 3D modeler by trade (day job) so I've been using a 3D package to break down the skull. I spent the morning taking to down to a 3D gesture from basic units of measurements related to a subdivided rectangular bounds. The trick is to not get dogmatic about what your doing and remember that your facilitating expression (representation isn't reality).

I'll share it here later when I'm done. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, cool. I'm also a 3D modeler... that never had art fundamentals.... so I decided to start taking them, luckily my local community college seems to gave an inexpensive and rather good program in that.
    I figured, it may take my 3D work from pretty good, to really good... or better.

It's odd though, I can model things quite well, but when it comes to rendering (in 3d) or drawing them well, I'm way behind. My artsy knowledge is full of holes... I'm working towards plugging them up and getting a more solid base.

Anyway, I'm mentioning that, because it sounds like you are doing a lot of the same thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey cool, Connie, yeah your ability to relate with many of inquiries made me wonder lol. I think most people here pretty much know what they want to get out of a 2D medium, I'm just as much interested in the world of 2D as I am creating 2D works of art, and also some things matter much less because I know would rather express that particular Idea in 3D.

Members who have read this thread: 1