Animal fur help?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    In Indiana, USA. Encyclopedia Dramatica has a really good article about that state .-.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Animal fur help?

Well, um, first of all, I'm new here, so I don't know if this the right place for this...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows a good tutorial for drawing a realistic coat of fur. In case I'm being too vague, I'm thinking in the view of drawing a portrait of a dog and getting the hues right and all, yet make it look as if individual hairs exist... >.< I hope you guys know what I mean... Um, I'd post the picture I was working on, but I'm using my Wii to write this. I'll have it up tomorrow though.

Um, it's kind of my first time trying to draw an animal (specifically a weasel) in a realistic manner. The most I've gotten on the fur was making the outlines look kinda furry. I'm worried I'm doing it wrong though lol. Again- I'll edit this post with the pic tomorrow, to show what I mean. What I'm looking for is a tutorial of how to make realistic fur, preferably with only graphite pencils. (That's all I have 'til I save up)

I hope no one gets confused with my question. I tend to describe things terribly >.<

EDIT: Here's my pictures!
    The first was the original that I got stuck on and discontinued, but I decided to use him as practice. I'll practice doing fur on it. The second is the beginning of another drawing I did, and I don't want to mess this one up yet, not until I practice. I'm sure there's anatomy issues here and there, so that's another reason I'm posting it.

First

Second

This is actually my first time attempting a realistic weasel, so it's probably got a lot of errors. Also, my scanner's kinda dirty. I need to clean it...

Last edited by Typhloser; July 3rd, 2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Added pictures
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We'd like to see your drawing (usually the Critique Center is for crit on specific stuff, I think), but in the meantime here are some tips:

If using digital, draw in some broad dark strokes, then with a tiny brush go over it in a lighter colour doing each of the hairs.
    Example tutorials:
    http://yellow-eyes.deviantart.com/ar...ial-2-38826575
    http://yellow-eyes.deviantart.com/ar...kthru-81154668

Graphite is a bit trickier, because instead you just have to avoid the light areas. These tutorials might help:
    http://jocarra.deviantart.com/art/Je...orial-17171559 (might need to click 'Download image' to view)
    http://akaLilith.deviantart.com/art/...-hair-93634026

You can also 'suggest' fur, by not drawing each and every hair, but instead by drawing the hairs in certain places (e.g. where there's a bend in the surface or something). Like how if you draw a scaled thing like a dragon or fish, you may not need to fill in all the details realistically if you're abstracting it a bit.

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

In Indiana, USA. Encyclopedia Dramatica has a really good article about that state .-.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

^^ Oh, thanks! I'll be sure to check them out!!
    I had a super busy day today, and couldn't scan my pic in question today. I promise to post it tomorrow though.

*lol, I got no message stating a reply... Is that normal? xD*

I'm new around here ^^ Help from you superior people is greatly appreciated O:

dA page- http://typhloser.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those examples Lulie posted certainly look good but my head would explode from that kind of tedium. I use a few brushes from this artist who shares his brush set. You may not like all his brushes so you can pick and choose the ones you like. There are a few hair and fur brushes which I find invaluable. There are also a couple of blenders which do wonders for softening the fur around edges or wherever needs it. Here is the link. http://features.cgsociety.org/story_...?story_id=5152

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Best realistic artist I've seen is Venigsun. She works with oils and digital, so hopefully they'll be of some help. Unfortunately, she seems to only sell her tutorial book now, but if you ask nicely she may give you a "taster" page. I'm not sure though.

http://venigsun.com

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I might throw Sullivan/Kesame here. She goes more with that sort of "suggestion" style, instead of drawing each and every hair (which personally I dislike as it's so easy to lose all shape and lighting by only concentrating to hairs) there's more like fur clumps:
    http://sullivan.deviantart.com/art/R...adne-213179571
    http://sullivan.deviantart.com/art/G-Kilaq-211163297

But she has a experience on painting real animals traditionally so I really suggest that you Google for bucketload of weasels (which have different sort of fur) images instead of trying to use some "wolf hair" tutorial.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As both a painter of pictures and a looker at pictures, I really don't like the every-single-hair approach to animals. Plus, it's incredibly hard to pull off without looking bitsy and losing the form of the animal underneath.

My go-to artist for animal fur is Edwin Landseer. I've never seen Monarch of the Glen in person (not sure where it lives), but he manages to convey a deep, velvety coat without, as far as I can see, painting any individual hairs at all, except at the animal's throat.

Anyway. Bottom line. Concentrate on the form of the animal above all else or your picture will quickly get lost in a blizzard of little hairs.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Wow

Look at all the feedback! Did not expect that. >.<

Um, I'll look at the suggestive fur style, since it sounds appealing. I also realize that I screwed my picture in the first place. (I probably shouldn't have used a #2 pencil for the outline, especially since I have no idea what I'm doing.) I'll try and redraw it (with a hard pencil >.<) and post both pictures anyway. I'll make my mess-up a practice place...
    I'll have them up around 4:00pm my time.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it wasn't expected, but appreciated ^^

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Somebody moved this to the Art Discussion because you had no pic attached, you might want to re-post those pics to the Critique forum. Also, that's not a weasel, that's an anime dragon. If you want to draw realistic weasels, you REALLY need to study real weasels and other ermines and things like that.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    >.< It really looks that much like a dragon? Well, if you say I need more practice, I guess I will find pictures and study them.

Is it the head that completely ruined it, or was it the whole thing in general?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhloser View Post
    Is it the head that completely ruined it, or was it the whole thing in general?
    It was the whole thing and proportions. Weasels have a fairly medium long and thick neck and long body so they're pretty much like tubes, yours had a really long neck and short round body.
    It might help if you didn't try to do a front view immediately, but start by drawing from photos where the animal is standing sideways.

Last edited by TinyBird; July 4th, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
    Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The head is pretty weaselly; the body is foreshortened oddly. Weasels are kind of hard to draw, because they're so long and sinewy.

Not to brag or anything, but not many people have drawn more weasels than I have (a stoat is what Brits call a weasel).

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Stoat
    At least I got something partially right. I will try a side view, though. The picture I had found when I first drew them had a kinda 'short, round body,' but maybe I was imagining. I found it in my animal encyclopedia, so I thought it would be a good ref. Then again, the only full body pic it had was kinda small.

I was expecting harsh critique, but it's really not bad! I kinda like people telling me what I'm doing wrong, and how to fix it. I'll start drawing a side view now and post it if I can get a few doodles on a page. Oh, but would I need to start a new thread, since this was moved?

Thanks again for these comments- They're much better than what I was expecting. I'm getting a first impression that I like here, and everything you guys have said is appreciated! (Sorry if I sound like an asskisser, but it's true^^)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the reason it's said it looks like a dragon isn't so much the head or particular features, but the underlying anatomy. One can draw cute ears and fur and so forth on something, but the thing that really makes it look like what it's supposed to represent is the anatomy.

For example, in this book, if you Search Inside for 'cat anatomy', on page 44 you'll see a dragon with cat anatomy... On the outside, it looks like a dragon because it has wings and stuff, but really it just looks like a cat with a dragon costume on.

So basically, the thing you want to do is try to get an idea of the anatomy of a weasel. The more one understands how something works, under the flesh/scales/feathers/whatever, the better one can draw it. Otherwise you'll have horse lovers looking at your drawings of horses and going "That horse couldn't possibly run well!", because they have knowledge of how a horse works and can see you're not including that in your drawing.

And note you only need to understand anatomy enough to be able to draw it. You don't need to learn all the names of all the muscles or whatever. Just get an idea of the proportions and thicknesses of stuff, maybe a bit about common postures, and check your drawing against an anatomy diagram... Except I can't seem to find one on the internet, darn. The best I can suggest is to look at this general guide on animal anatomy, and then check pictures of weasels and try to work out which things they have in common and make guesses about how the structure is similar and different. (Also looking at pictures of weasel skeletons might help.)

The other way of going about it is just to draw a few of weasels from references, focusing on getting the proportions and bumps accurate. I guarantee you'll understand anything a ton more if you first draw it from reference. (I remember there was an awesome CA thread somewhere of people doing studies trying to draw stuff from memory/imagination, then doing it again but with reference, and it was amazing how little great artists knew about basic anatomy of animals they'd never drawn before and how crappy their first attempts were. Shame I can't find the thread.)

What I usually do is copy a couple photos of something, then go and look for some anatomy or guideline strategies, then come back again with more references trying to incorporate the structure stuff I've learned. The value of references can't be stressed enough.

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Not to brag or anything, but not many people have drawn more weasels than I have (a stoat is what Brits call a weasel).
    Oh yeah? Well, if crappy cartoon ermines are counted, most people haven't drawn as many of those as I have.

We may have to duel.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Moved back to CC. You're giving me wiplash.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Oh yeah? Well, if crappy cartoon ermines are counted, most people haven't drawn as many of those as I have.

We may have to duel.
    Well the record has to be held by my friends Lela Dowling and Ken Macklin who drew weasel patrol for two years.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Moved back to CC. You're giving me wiplash.
    lol, sorry Elwell ^^;

Anyway, I found some weasel pics on Google, but I can't find any good ones for the paws. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm also having a hard time with ears.

Also, this image, http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p...lis-europe.jpg , looks like the one in my encyclopedia (it's close, at least). It's kinda hunched over, and I based my original picture on that pose. I think that's why it looks kind of fat or rounded at the body.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhloser View Post
    Anyway, I found some weasel pics on Google, but I can't find any good ones for the paws.
    First page when you Google "weasel foot"
    Name:  weaselfeet.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  31.6 KB
    Also try for "ferret paw" or "ferret foot".

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, maybe I should search for more than just 'weasel'... I was actually looking for the tops to the feet, not the pads, but I'm sure I'll need that picture if I tried a walking pose later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Actually stoats and weasels are different, and Britain has both.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RyerOrdStar View Post
    Actually stoats and weasels are different, and Britain has both.
    A British stoat is what Americans call a weasel, Mustela erminea. A British weasel is what Americans call a least weasel, Mustela nivalis. And an American longtail weasel, Mustela frenata, is...American.

We may have to duel.
    Bring it, bird!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bring it, bird!
    Have at thee!
    Name:  Dis_bread__it_ermine_.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  94.9 KB
    Never bring a knife to a gunfight.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But it's a REALLY BIG knife!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I guess it counts then. After all, the trigger in my gun is backwards so it probably balances things out too.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I guess it counts then. After all, the trigger in my gun is backwards so it probably balances things out too.
    Might wanna trade that gun in then. *lol eavesdropping*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eavesdropping? It's your thread!

Anyhow, you get the idea...long bodies, short legs, little round ears.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Well the record has to be held by my friends Lela Dowling and Ken Macklin who drew weasel patrol for two years.
    Okay, Stoat is the weasel king, I'm the crappy cartoon ermine king, your friends are the good cartoon ermine kings and Typhloser shall be our weasel vassal.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eavesdropping? It's your thread!

Anyhow, you get the idea...long bodies, short legs, little round ears.
    Well, yeah, but it was your little mini fight and such xD

Well, um, I found this picture on google of a weasel who's body was kinda like the one I drew. It's a lot like the one in my encyclopedia, and I was referencing that pose. The weasel wasn't stretched out, and you couldn't see its back legs like you would if it was stretched. *Looks for image again* http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p...lis-europe.jpg

This one.

But yeah, I get the idea. I have some doodles, but I'm trying to find good images of the tops of the paws. You wouldn't happen to know a good ref for their feet, would you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3