Sketchbook: WHY WON'T IT WORK?! ...oh - a sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: WHY WON'T IT WORK?! ...oh - a sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WHY WON'T IT WORK?! ...oh - a sketchbook

Background Info: Hello everyone, I'm a older teenager who is currently studying art independently for the most part, but hopes to go to art school in the future.

So, yeah, this journal/sketchbook is going to hopefully updated daily, if not then every other day.

I am looking to learn, so please give me any sort of criticism that will help me improve.

Thanks!

LW

(The picture below is my first attempt at sketching on a tablet after fixing the pressure sensitivity on my tablet, which had died horribly.)

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Lee_Way; July 3rd, 2011 at 08:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I do a little better sketching in my sketchpad than on a computer, so here are some from my physical sketchbook.

(On that note- I know the guy's head looks very awkward, but I can't pinpoint what is wrong, exactly. Hmn...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not really much more today- got kind of bogged down by other work. I have been playing around with colouring though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start, keep it up. Btw I would check the structure of the hand in the last post. I think the perspective is a little off

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

It's progress, NOT perfection.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critique, Ghast! Yeah, I think the perspective is a little bit off too now that I look at it again- got to do some more hand studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Lee,

first of all, in my opinion the best sketch here is the woman's head looking down, because it's anyway a complicated pose...there could be slightly more volume on the back of her head, but nonetheless it's pretty good.
    For the other head, instead of telling you, I'll give you a little tip, because I think you're good enough to realize yourself (btw, it's a compliment). Just cover with your finger or fingers part of the head, e.g. isolate the nose and eyes and ears, the nose and mouth etc. And suddenly you'll see if nose and eyes are aligned/correct size, nose and mouth, etc.

best of luck! And keep drawing, it's just like any sport, with training you find your form, and without, no matter how good you are...you suddenly suck! (at least, that's what I notice when I don't draw "actively " for a while, because working on other stuff)

r.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maeharrington: Thanks for the tips- it helped to pinpoint the problems in the guy's and girl's faces as well as a few of my other sketches/WIPs.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll start uploading some of my WIPs soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I've been gone for awhile (life- mainly, but I was in a very fast-paced life drawing class which was awesome. I couldn't move my arms in the evening, but it was fun and very helpful). Some sketches just came out bad during the past couple of weeks, but I got some ones that I like.

Updates will be more frequent, but slow due to the hell of class starting. So, here's some more from my sketchbook.

As soon as I do a bit more of it (haven't started on males yet- have maybe 1-2 pages of female faces right now), I'll upload a ton of studies.

EDIT: Accidentally uploaded the huge copies, should be fixed in a second or two.

Last edited by Lee_Way; July 26th, 2011 at 11:57 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.