Beast Mistress
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Beast Mistress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beast Mistress

I usually just sketch, doodle or leave my drawings half done but this one is finished at least. I hope that I can upload more complete pieces in this thread from time to time.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Why explore the distant planets when my own mind is a mystery and an adventure in itself." S. Rios

"There is no bigger world or greater reality than your own imagination." S. Rios
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    honestly, going by the title, I was expecting something different; maybe more rugged?

Overall, I think this piece has a pretty tame look, especially since all three entities have just a plain look on their face. Also the womans anatomy could use refinement, but in general it's a bit off. There's much that could be done to fix it but at this point in the game, it's easier to just learn for next time.

The values seem to be working to give an overall feeling to the piece, and although it seems you've got at least 2 light sources, you've got cast shadows which is good. The only thing you could've added was a horizon line but with how this image is cropped, the best sense of a different plane you can give is a straight line in the background to show that's where the ground ends. You can do other things but I think they'd just end up crowding a piece that does have one thing working for it: It's not busy. It's easy to read and the values around the lion differing from the one that gives the dog contrast was a good idea and helps.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed, I was thnking of beasts like dragons or wolfs or something. Dogs don't seem so beast-like. But keep practicing. Your proportions look good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rendermonk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hitnrun View Post
    honestly, going by the title, I was expecting something different; maybe more rugged?

Overall, I think this piece has a pretty tame look, especially since all three entities have just a plain look on their face. Also the womans anatomy could use refinement, but in general it's a bit off. There's much that could be done to fix it but at this point in the game, it's easier to just learn for next time.

The values seem to be working to give an overall feeling to the piece, and although it seems you've got at least 2 light sources, you've got cast shadows which is good. The only thing you could've added was a horizon line but with how this image is cropped, the best sense of a different plane you can give is a straight line in the background to show that's where the ground ends. You can do other things but I think they'd just end up crowding a piece that does have one thing working for it: It's not busy. It's easy to read and the values around the lion differing from the one that gives the dog contrast was a good idea and helps.
    Yeah the title has more to do with a concept of a character I have in my head than the piece I admit. I heavily referenced this from various pictures. I'm still learning anatomy, this was like the end result of like art classes each weekend for a couple months just getting the hang of anatomy. But hey its a start. I did some good things and some bad things. I learned a lot from this piece. Mainly, patience and effort. Thanks for pointing out the two light sources, I completely let that pass me by unnoticed. I'll be more careful next time. The blank expressions here bother me a lot, but I was short on time and had to leave them as they were unfortunately. I wanted to illustrate the warrior woman with two big dogs (and yes both are dogs, a breed called Tibetan Mastiff that are bred to resemble lions) so I really was not concentrating my efforts on creating a background. Thank you so much for your critique, it was exactly what I was looking for when I posted it here in conceptart.

"Why explore the distant planets when my own mind is a mystery and an adventure in itself." S. Rios

"There is no bigger world or greater reality than your own imagination." S. Rios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with everything Hitnrun said. This is a great start; you used reference, and composed them together into an image which is easy to read with a value pattern. That's the ticket.

Keep sketching. Do a lot of sketching of figures and gestures. Keep taking classes. Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The one thing that strikes me is that it looks very flat. I think this is because not enough thought has been given to how the structures actually look like in space. It's a lot "easier" to get more depth if you try to construct pretty much everything using the basic structures, and then trying to get the wholeness together.

I think you could also push your values even more. Much of it has little noticable contrast, and kind of blends into this smudginess that dominates the image (especially with the girl and the right dog.)

I think you are on the right track with the nose of the right dog. It's simple and has clear contrasts indicating the light play and the shape. Don't be afraid to push your values! Black and white interplaying has a lot more clear information and can be very interesting to the eye compared to greyish color and slightly more greyish color interplaying!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DaEvil1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rendermonk- Thanks for commenting. Yeah many people will think that, maybe later on I'll do another Beastmistress piece using other animals, the theme still sparks an interest in me. I chose these dogs because they are huge guard dogs that resemble lions and look pretty fierce and imposing but I couldn't find any good ref pics to portray them that way unfortunately, my original plan was having a snarling dog in front of her and she pulling him back.

Artfix- Thank you. I tried, learned a lot from it so hopefully I'll do better next time. I keep working on gestures, haven't updated my SB in a while because my scanner is giving me problems, I'm going to have to work digital in order to post something.

DaEvil1- I agree, it does look flat and it bothers me. I wanted to create more sharp contrast in it to guide the eye through the drawing. I had problems with the girl because I kept trying to tweak the shadows and shapes and the paper started peeling off...that specially happened while drawing the face. I had to leave the face as it is because I could've ruined it completely.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.