Thanks

First time to New York, suggestions?

Hey everyone!

I will be making my first visit to NYC for a few days. If any of you have some cool restaurants and art places to go to please share!

Thanks!
    oh, I'll be coming the 12th-15th.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 755 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Go to the Met and bring a big sketchbook, and lots of pencils, pens, or what have you. They have a great cafeteria - a little pricy, but a good deal for NYC. There are so many treasures there to look at. It's a day-long place. On the other side of the park's the Natural History Museum, which is also great. Dinosaur bones and stuffed animals, and neat old diaramas. They have a new planetarium that looks impressive on the outside. I haven't been in it. If you've never been up the Empire State Building, the line's long, but it's a great view.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The Met of course, that can easily take up 1-3 days of your time if you want. The Society of Illustrators is great if it's open, I think it's closed in August. The Hispanic Society has AMAZING Sorolla murals and other paintings. The High Line's worth checking out too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kielbasa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    All sounds interesting! I'll be going to the Met for sure. That mural thing sounds cool too. Any other things I shouldn't miss? What about restaurants? Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Most of the really good restaurants are either way outside of your price range, or more often than not ludicrously exclusive. That being said, most of the shops in Midtown are a safe bet. But that's assuming you're staying in Manhattan. Are you?
    Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The Met is definitely a must! I've always enjoyed MOMA too. Parts of it are too modern for my tastes but its so huge that you still get more than enough of everything else.

I just found out that after 5 pm (Call to double check the time) the Natural History Museum is free. FREE! It only gives you an hour or so to look around but it might be a nice way to end a day and save $20.

And if you're looking for the best sandwich in town go to Murray's Bagles on W 8th Ave between 23rd St and 22nd St. I recommend the roast beef on a plain bagle, but you really can't go wrong. That's the first place I drag every visitor I get to NY.

Are you looking for any specific art supplies while you're in town? There's a cool pigment store for people that like to make their own paints. I can't remember the address (it's in Midtown) but I can try to find it if you're interested.\

Oh and I'd stay out of Times Square when you're looking for food unless you have an insane budget. They soak you on prices there.

There are also the Chelsea galleries with contemporary art if that's an interest of yours.
    Last edited by MyOrangeHat; July 3rd, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
    "This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MyOrangeHat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I second the suggestion of Chelsea galleries if you have any interest in contemporary art. Like the Met, you can easily spend all of 1 or more days there and not see everything. Note that the Met is voluntary admission, so even though they suggest like $20, you don't have to pay that much if you are feeling poor.

Maybe not the top choice for a quick trip, but the Cloisters is beautiful. It's the Met's medieval museum, way up at 190th St on the A train. The Central Park Zoo is also quite good for it's size, and the Museum of Natural History has a lot of fun stuff to draw (lots of taxidermied animals and skeletons), plus the diorama paintings are quite amazing.

I believe the pigment store MyOrangeHat is thinking of (or at least *a* pigment store) is on W 29th street between 7th and 8th ave -- I walk by it all the time on my way to aikido, and enjoy looking in the window.

There are hundreds, probably thousands of good restaurants in NY. What kind of food do you like?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mickeymao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    The Met and the Museum of Natural history are both pay-what-you-wish, although they publicize that less and less. They have to let you in for a nickel if that's all you give them.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeymao View Post
    I believe the pigment store MyOrangeHat is thinking of (or at least *a* pigment store) is on W 29th street between 7th and 8th ave -- I walk by it all the time on my way to aikido, and enjoy looking in the window.
    Yeah that's the one! I just knew it was on the walk between my apartment and school. I never remember cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    The Met and the Museum of Natural history are both pay-what-you-wish, although they publicize that less and less. They have to let you in for a nickel if that's all you give them.
    Wha? That sneaky Museum of Natural History! They've gotten me for full price every time I've gone and it's expensive! I guess it balances out with all the times I gave The Met a penny though. The Met's signs are much more clear that it's pay what you wish.
    Last edited by MyOrangeHat; July 3rd, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
    "This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MyOrangeHat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Actually, the Museum of Natural History is pay-what-you-wish for the permanent exhibits, but they make you pay for special exhibits, movies, etc. At least, that was the case last time I ever tried getting into a special exhibit on a regular ticket...

Also! Many museums have a free or pay-what-you-wish day... Check their websites and poke around. Sometimes it's a few hours one day a week, or it might be once a month, or whatever.

My fave museums:
    The Met (duh) - spend a day, yes. Actually, if you're just doing one trip there, I'm not sure you'll want to sketch, because there's so much to see you won't have time to sketch... You may just want to wander around and soak it all in, it's so huge and overwhelming...

Also the MOMA (generally fun,) the Frick (Some of the best paintings in town, in a picturesque setting,) the Pierpont Morgan, and the Neue Galerie (if you like late nineteenth/early twentieth century German and Austrian art, anyway...)

(I'd recommend some others, but most of them seem to be in mid-summer-blahs right now... The cool exhibits don't start up again until the Fall season.)

Also, check here for free concerts in the parks - might be a fun way to spend an afternoon: http://www.summerstage.org/

Lincoln Center has a free outdoor concert series, too - check and see if they're doing anything you want to see while you're here.

ALSO - if you want to stock up on art books... go to the Strand Bookstore! (Nearly a whole floor of art books!)

Pearl Paint also sells pigment (buried somewhere in the back...) Among other strange oddments.

All the good restaurants I know are in Brooklyn. That's probably not much help. (But the midtown/Times Square/tourist zone in generally NOT the place to find good food. Try downtown or Chelsea or maybe Upper West Side...)
    Last edited by QueenGwenevere; July 3rd, 2011 at 10:21 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Actually, the Museum of Natural History is pay-what-you-wish for the permanent exhibits, but they make you pay for special exhibits, movies, etc. At least, that was the case last time I ever tried getting into a special exhibit on a regular ticket...
    Yes, that's how they get you. You can only get special exhibit/imax/planetarium tickets as a package with museum admission, and they charge you the "suggested" price.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    They'll also give you a very, very dirty look.

And I gave way more than a nickel.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post
    They'll also give you a very, very dirty look.
    And I gave way more than a nickel.
    Meh I've given a penny and only gotten looks of pity or indifference. You might have gotten just the generic unfriendly New York look. Or maybe you don't look as poor as I do.
    Or maybe they just thought it was sad that I was so elated to find that darn penny in my pocket. I'd forgotten my wallet, which only had a dollar in it anyway.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Wow thanks a lot you guys. Ill be staying with a friend so I'm sure I can find some good food through him. I am really excited about checking out that pigment store because I've been trying to make my own. I will definitely check out the Met and try to hit up a few others if I can.

As far as my favorite foods, I'm part Japanese and would love to get some good noodle dishes or sushi and I'm a big fan of meat sandwiches and pizza.

Thanks for the suggestions I wasn't expecting that much. :o

Thanks
    Japanese food? Check around the Midtown Library. Lots of that there.
    Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.