Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Artflakes.com?

Thanks

Artflakes.com?

I just received an email from someone from Artflakes.com saying that he would (in his own words) "like to license existing artworks from you for reproduction, for every sale you earn a royalty."

Now, all this time I just create works for myself and to show to others, and while I ultimately want to have a career out of it in the future, I know that I am so far from being even halfway decent right now, so I'm pretty much surprised that someone wants to use my works to add them to their "products", for lack of better term. Since I rarely check my email, I saw that he first mailed me on the 17th, and then made a followup again today, so I think he's pretty serious with his offer.

My question is has anyone heard of this group/site/business? Has anyone else received something similar? Am I setting myself up to be royally screwed? Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I got one too. I'm unsure. Looked up the site, it keeps redirecting me to a yahoo search page... so I dunno. I'm not one to sell my work on other sites. It's usually print on demand through myself. So I'm probably going to pass. Unless it's a company looking for contract work I usually dont bite on the bait.
    http://www.ninjadcomic.com: My Online Weekly WebComic
    http://outerglow.deviantart.com: DeviantART site
    http://jennymstead.daportfolio.com: Professional Portfolio
    http://jennymstead.blogspot.com: Daily Sketch Blog

Thanks
    I actually just today got a similar email as well. It's admittedly a bit unusual, but it's not the first time I've ever been approached about this sort of thing. I asked him about the ToS, but if anyone has any real experience with this company it would be good to hear it.

Thanks
    Seems like a scam.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I wouldn't say it's a scam, just yet another POD company. As for being "approached," since anybody can register and sell prints through them, I wouldn't put much stock in that. They're just trying to drum up business.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    I get mails from a Nigerian prince and various founders from new social networks and pharmaceutical companies, they all do regular follow ups so I think they are pretty serious with their offers.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    I got one too. To be honest I dont trust it. then again, I'm an untrusting guy
    >>Sketchbook<<

Tumblr
    www.adamkootbascomb.com

It's progress, NOT perfection.

Thanks
    Yeah I just received a follow up email from Artflakes today as well. I dont have any experience with any POD companies and am not really sure what to make of it. Has anyone ever replied to him and received a response?

Thanks
    Yeah, I replied asking about their ToS, model, etc. No reply so far, lol.

Thanks
    Yep, I got one today too.

I also requested their terms of service and such. Anyone get those yet? As I see it, as long as they don't try to take away all rights to the image, why not? If I did something as a personal piece or school assignment and it's just gathering dust, I see no reason not to make a little money off it and get my name out there.

One thing is that since they're based in Berlin, I wouldn't want to sell them exclusive printing rights because they don't sell to other parts of the world so much (like the US). And certainly I'd want to retain the rights to print my own image and sell directly.

Elwell seems to be on the mark about them, probably anyone can submit but they're just trying to cherrypick artists with higher quality work.

Thanks
    Hi,

I have seen your portfolio online and would like to get in touch regarding a cooperation for print on demand in Germany / Europe for ARTFLAKES.

We are currently building up a new channel for computer graphics illustration, as we think that would also work well with acrylic prints / premium-posters. For thatwe search high quality artists who offer their artworks on ARTFLAKES, so that we can promote and sell it to German / European customers. (of course we deliver worldwide, but
    Europe is our core market).

If you are generally interested, please let me know, then I send you some further information. Would be great to hear from you!

Best from Berlin
    Daniel

Thanks
    Well, just an update. I got a reply from them:

nice to hear from you. I have seen you on the website CGsociety. It was an impetus for me to write you.
    We are interested especially in computer animated illustrations in the sci-fi / fantasy sector. But every partner is not limited what to publish, some partners upload illlustration as well as photography.

If you read the terms and conditions, that what you demand is standard with ARTFLAKES. We get only a temporary reproduction right and only sell physical prints to normal customers. You have any time full control over your images on ARTFLAKES, please use the registration link I have sent you to register. Each artwork you can withdraw any time from the platform, e.g. when you sold it exclusively to a customer.

As we donít require any exclusivity and you can end your membership at any time, we donít require any written contract. You just have to accept the Terms and Conditions during the signup. Of course you remain the owner of the copyright. We only get limited rights for reproducing and marketing your pictures.

You keep your complete copyrights, we just get a temporary reproduction right. The payout will be handled through PayPal worldwide. Bank transfer is possible if you are living in the European Union.

Here is some more information about our company in a partner presentation, FAQ and General Terms. If you want to join, be welcome! The link serves also as a personal invitation.

<link given>

Our royalty model works like that: We have basis prices for each product / size combination. That includes production, marketing, customer care and our share. On that you add yourself a royalty markup freely. So basis price + royalty markup = retail price. Easy as that. An example in the excel file.

Would be great to have you on the platform! If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks

Artflake.com messages

I got the same message from someone, stating my art is fantastic and they want to have me exhibit on their site.

My take, they are aggressive and want to make money off artists and they are recruiting as a start-up site. However, don't know anything more.

Thanks
    I got the same message, and at first, it was soo much looking like a job offer, collaboration proposal for prints etc etc to make commissions for people, the guy telling me he likes this and that redirecting to my own links on my portfolio i was so excited, being unemployed for ages, that i felt cheated when in two mails later, i was redirected to a link to make an account on a "fake" copy of a twitter-deviantart thing, the mail was looking "legit" because the guy was talking about my drawings etc, and pointed to 6 of them he liked and commented them...

daportfolio being this :

http://imaginalex.daportfolio.com/

So, they just gather lot of people with not too "bad" or "good" art skills, it's a false job offer, and for people like me, it's very despressing, is that kind of false mails looking like job offers legal to get people to their site ?

Thanks
    I got an email, checked out the site, seems pretty legit to me. They're in a testing phase right now and you have to be personally invited in order to sell there, so no, it is not that anyone in the world can join and sell stuff. And you still have complete ownership of your work, so I don't see the harm in trying it out. I made an account there and am thinking about uploading some stuff. I'm broke, so why not?
    eat-drink-fuck-draw-sleep. repeat.
    Every critique helps me improve! Have a look at my sketchbook, it won't take long.

It is well with me only when I have a chisel in my hand.
    -Michelangelo

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SDNolan View Post
    And you still have complete ownership of your work, so I don't see the harm in trying it out. I made an account there and am thinking about uploading some stuff. I'm broke, so why not?
    The same here - I was invited there 2 weeks ago and I thought - why not? There's nothing to lose and you don't have to pay for anything, so why not to try?

Thanks
    I got same message too.. should I join or not? Is it safe?

Thanks
    Just got the same e-mail this morning. I probably wont bother with it. If anyone makes any money on there though, let us know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Randis View Post
    I get mails from a Nigerian prince and various founders from new social networks and pharmaceutical companies, they all do regular follow ups so I think they are pretty serious with their offers.
    Artflakes.com?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Just got the same email. Anybody had any experiences one way or the other with this?

blazinwolf is offline Cristina Bencina / Illustrator & Concept Artist
    Thanks
    Got one too. I'm curious.
    Get connected! Follow me below!
    Art Blog || deviantART |Facebook Fan Page
    I'm available for freelance work. Please email me. My email can be found on my blog.

Thanks
    Me as well. I am from germany so it doesnt feeel that strange. ^^

I want to do some poster prints anyway, but would like to get more infos on how to do Pod or better do it myself ?

Thanks

E-Mail from Berlin?

Hi, I found this site, because I was contacted by a Daniel Bruekner asking me if I would like to join his company. I don't know if it's a scam or what...I'm not a concept artist, I'm a freelance photographer. He said he found my work on Deviant Art, and then gave me some stuff about how he would like me to join his "family."

Scam or not?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 277 Posts

Thanks
    Seems like u all got the same email from this particular person, Daniel Brueckner

I just got his email today on the 27th August and this is what he stated:

Hi,

I had a look at your DAportfolio site and would like to get in touch regarding a print on demand cooperation for our second premium art print site ARTFLAKES .com.
    We market and produce high quality art prints to customers Europe-wide now for 4 years, always in cooperation with artists and other visual content partners, who get for every reproduction sale a royalty.

In contrast to deviantart, which does also prints as a side activity, we focus 100% on the sales side. Additionally we will
    soon not only feature open editions, but also limited editions.

We search for illustrators, photographers, painters, but also visual artwork from other artists.

Could this be interesting for you? Then I would send you some further information.

I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Best from Berlin,
    Daniel Brueckner

Daniel Brueckner
    Head of Marketing

Tel.: 0049 (Germany) 30-6165-1282
    Fax: 0049 (Germany) 30-6165-1274

NEW ADDRESS! NEUE ADRESSE!

mygall GmbH - artflakes. com
    Oranienstr. 6
    10997 Berlin
    Germany

I even checked the website http://www.artflakes.com/ to see if its a fake and it also seems legit to me but I still having my doubts. I'm from Singapore, I had been doing an illustration job for a year and i didnt upload my recent works to DAportfolio due to my company restriction/copyrights/rules. The strange thing is why would he want to use my old works which is not even a professional work for printings etc?

I don't have any experience selling my works online. I was wondering if anyone can give me their opinions whether i should take the risks and gave it a try on this company? Thanks

Thanks

Join the club!

Well, it got me to register to this site, didn't it?

I'm busy enough with zazzle.com POD, so maybe I should hire a secretary.

A name like 'artflake' doesn't sound professional, d'ya think?

Thanks
    I got the same email two months ago... it got me to register (http://www.artflakes.com/en/shop/amit). hmm don't seem like a scam, anyway there are better sites that do the same thing as artflake?

Thanks
    Ah I got that email while back, saying they looked through my DA portfolio (At that point I knew that was bullshit).
    Sure it doesn't look like a scam. But doesn't Deviantart do prints? How much money do you make from DAprints? And how often do you get requests for prints? For me its; Never, and once. Thats just me being bitter, but think about it, how much money do you think youll make from this? How many people are going to log onto this site, instead of deviantart. Comparing the grey area between prices and quality of prints from each website has made me more bored than I can bother to cope with.

Unless you're the grand artist, who's prints sell like hot cakes in a famished yet wealthy part of town, I do not see much point in offering work to yet another print website. Think of that " Wow I made $15 out of that $83 print some guy bought for his dog. " and how rarely that would come around, if at all.
    /Pessimist jerk out

Thanks
    Same, he actually sent a follow up and it seems they're a POD trying to grab artists from Deviantart to compete or whatnot. It doesn't seem like a scam in the general sense because he does reply and people have signed up with no problems, I think he or they are just starting out and thought Deviantart was the best way to gather some artists to join since it's one of the more popular "art" sites out there right now.

Anyway like what was said up above me, unless people buy your prints left and right it's probably not the best place however it's entirely up to the person to join or not. I do my own prints/products and cut out the middle man so royalties and cuts are not dealt with.

The best thing to do is if you want to sign up is to obviously ask or find the TOA and ask/find what percentage they take out for royalty.

Anyway the Terms of Use looks pretty much like a standard small company, but I think Etsy.com would probably be a better venue since it's much more well-known and you have more control over your own products and price. (I know quite a few artists that use Etsy and it's international.)

All in all I think they probably could have went about it a little better, I mean it was iffy and definitely came off as a could-be scam which doesn't exactly help the business.
    Character Design and Voice Actor

Deviantart
    Tumblr
    Youtube
    Instagram
    Facebook

Thanks
    Ya, I just revived the same email just 30 mins ago, at which they also said it was a followup to a email they had sent a while ago. The thing is, this email they are suppose to be "following up" on had never been in my inbox and it was the first time I got a email from this POD. So I believe its a fake/scam.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.