Thanks

Killing off the internet

So recently if you've been following the recent happenings of the internet you may have come across
    an article by a games lawyer. If you haven't, I'd suggest reading it. Essentially, Bill S.978 is being proposed to extend public performances of copyrighted works into a matter of criminal law. And here is the bill itself.

Here's the issue.

As it stands, Bill S.978 is very vague and has huge potential to be abused. This would put any digital content with copyrighted work in it in harms way; eSports in particular would be harmed, video reviewers would need to obtain licences from the company they're reviewing before they can even write their review, which can give the licencee control to dictate the outlook of the review. Secondly, matters of infringement in this way becomes a matter of criminal law rather than civil; if found infringing copyright, you could be jailed up to five years for ten counts of uploading content of any kind that contains copyrighted material. That is huge.

Even concept artists, who have streamed painting on Youtube, Ustream or livestream with copyrighted music playing the background will be affected by this bill. That's a good number of the members here, including me.

If you have googe adsense enabled and you happen to get millions of views on a youtube video you could infringe this law. Again, this bill is very vague and needs to be amended to specifically target individuals who illegally redistribute copyrighted content rather than commentating on it or merely stream their experience of it.

I understand that it probably has a low chance of it passing. There's the multiple layers of congress it has to pass through before it even gets considered, and it has to survive heaps of debate and possible legal battles, and on top of that it'll be darned near impossible to regulate all of it on the internet, but the possibility is still there, and it's the principle that matters. Best case scenario is if we prevent this bill being passed altogether in the early stages before it has other laws amended onto it to increase it's chances of passing.

I might just be paranoid and we probably have nothing to worry about, but just to be safe, Head over to the petition site and write a quick letter.
    Last edited by Beeston; July 1st, 2011 at 08:01 AM.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That's a load of crap. The bill, I mean. Not you. And I agree with you that this would never make it past the early stages.

Besides, wouldn't this make pirating go through the roof?

Thanks
    bullshit
    does this mean critics cant review games, movies, etc. without permission?
    and people using music in their youtube videos is like free advertisement for the music artist. wtf man WE should the ones being thanked for using THEIR music in our videos

sounds like tyranny
    ~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    The use of excerpts for critique or commentary is a bedrock of fair use. First amendment concerns trump everything else. Whatever other faults it may have, this bill wouldn't change that.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Internet culture is a half witted canker on the butt of civilisation and anything that would reduce the clutter and cut down on the number of cretins posting rubbish would be a good thing IMO.

You do not have the right to reuse other people's copyrighted works either for your own amusement or for profit if it means broadcasting, streaming or whatever in public. None of the arguments you've posted amount to anything but: OMG!!!!!! They're going to stop me downloading music and movies!!!!!!

Copyrighted works are valuable economic assets created by talented people who worked hard. If anyone thinks it's ok to steal other people's stuff then quite frankly f$&k them, I hope they're the first test case to get thrown in the slammer.

Beeston:
    "If you have googe adsense enabled and you happen to get millions of views on a youtube video you could infringe this law."

I'm not sure you even know what adsense is, this doesn't make any sense at all. Every argument you've posted above is just hysterical garbage to hide the fact that you don't want to pay for your music.

The article guy tried to take the high ground by writing:

"And I think that would be a disaster for our culture. It means the gut gets slit right out of our media side, because while having a few big names and groups is great, without voluntary participation by whoever wants to be involved I feel like we’ll lose a huge portion of the vibrant, fast-moving dynamism that I love about our scenes. "

The fuck? What is this imbecile talking about? Our scenes? Voluntary participation (ie user generated content) is a modern fad, not an inherent right of every individual. If a person wants their beautiful snowflakey creative side to be shown to the world they can f**king man up and practice until they are actually good at something and able to create their own copyrighted works.

A disaster for our culture? 10,000 years of art and culture got on fine and rose to incredible heights without internet slugs posting rubbish on youtube.

Final analysis: this bill is aimed at the people who upload the oringinal seed versions of movies, games etc who do cost companies millions of dollars in lost revenues and who definitely deserve to go to jail, because many of them are part of criminal syndicates who profit by pirating movies etc.

This article writer and others like the OP are just trying to hang onto their free movies and TV but are too gutless to come out and say that, so they hide behind spurious high sounding rubbish. "Our culture" ? Give me a break.
    Last edited by Atreides; July 2nd, 2011 at 09:31 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atreides For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whoa, big rant, written in a hurry. Here is something more to the point.

Professional artists make their living by creating copyrighted material and then monetising it. Why would a community of artists think it is a bad thing to have their copyrights protected by the weight of criminal as well as civil law?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    I agree with Elwell and Atreides,
    You want to have music with your work, hire a musician or use some of the work that is posted as free content for just such things. Fair use assures review commentary and parody, nobody can touch that.
    But really, we don't need anymore people just ripping others off to string a bunch of sunset pictures intermigled with pictures of their kids to some Celine Dion song or some image for their crappy kindle novel.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    So musicians aren't artists with rights either?

Wow guys, way to cherry pick and complain about people abusing or misusing your (or others) artwork and then going about and saying "Well I should be able to use other people's work without their permission."

I'm no fan of the RIAA either btw but still.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Well. Yeah... And isn't using other artists music in your live streams allready illegal? Though noone probably cares, since it doesn't really hurt them in a big way. But if you suddenly had hundreds of viewers I'm sure some record company would be on your ass sooner or later..
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    i dont see the problem if you're using the work for personal/non-advertisement/noncommercial use. and you're required to give credit to the musicians anyways

if someone used my art for their home videos or whatever but gave me credit, i wouldnt stomp up and down trying to sue them. more exposure for me lol

its the age of the internet, it'd be hard to monitor everything anyway so make the rules simple so more people can follow it instead of going underground
    ~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stragan View Post
    if someone used my art for their home videos or whatever but gave me credit, i wouldnt stomp up and down trying to sue them. more exposure for me lol
    I understand what you're saying, but imagine that art is your living -- it's how you eat, how your children eat, etc. Now imagine that a 500,000 or a million someones are using your hard work for free. It doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore. Exposure is only beneficial if it leads to more work and profit for you; it doesn't help you at all if exposure just means more people steal your work.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to erinc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    I thnk its time for the pay the writer link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post: