Help with a digital painting?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp Help with a digital painting?

Hi! I'm kinda new here. I've lurked around for a while but I only just now decided to make an account, haha.

So I haven't really digitally painted in a while, and I was never all that great at it.
    I'm currently trying to paint from a photo I found online.
    The only things I've really focused on so far are the nose and eye, and I can't really tell if it's turning out well or not?

SO if you see anything that looks deformed, let me knoww. I really want this to look cool when I'm finished.
    Any critiques or redlines are appreciated~

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rule #1 with portraits - never get into details until you have the relationships between the features blocked out. - The relationships between features: how far apart the eyes are, distance between upper-lip and nose, size of eyes in relation to the rest of the features, location o eyes on the face, etc.) - If you get those right, you will probably get the likeness. If you skimp on that and focus on details, chances are you won't. While you have a good start here, I would suggest going back to the block-in stage and make sure everything looks just right before you move forward to the actual shapes of the facial features.

Remember that a solid picture is the result of a solid process, so build from the ground up and measure twice, cut once.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Goog View Post
    rule #1 with portraits - never get into details until you have the relationships between the features blocked out. - The relationships between features: how far apart the eyes are, distance between upper-lip and nose, size of eyes in relation to the rest of the features, location o eyes on the face, etc.) - If you get those right, you will probably get the likeness. If you skimp on that and focus on details, chances are you won't. While you have a good start here, I would suggest going back to the block-in stage and make sure everything looks just right before you move forward to the actual shapes of the facial features.

Remember that a solid picture is the result of a solid process, so build from the ground up and measure twice, cut once.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Before I start painting, I sketch out a skeleton of where everything should be, and I mapped out the eyes and nose a little bit though I didn't pay as much attention to the facial features as I could have. I mostly focused on the anatomy.

Is there anything specific that doesn't look right? I can already tell the eye I painted is a lot bigger than the photo's haha oops..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing that will get your drawings looking right is trying to get the negative spaces correct. I think you made a bit of a mistake not setting your drawing area the same size as the photo. If you try to look at the negative spaces and the distances between the top of the photo and the eyes for examples it should help you in placing them right. good luck.

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Dont trust anything i say! I'm a noob.
    My Noob Sketch Book

6. The Following User Says Thank You to element1988 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In your painting her head is at the wrong angle, it's almost dead straight on while in the picture her head is slightly turned to her left (our right) pay attention to the center line of her face, you will notice the nose in the photo isn't in the center as you have it in the painting. Also the eye you have rendered is a bit too large. Hope that helps!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abone114 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @element1988

I haven't actually cropped down the painting yet, my canvas is is like 3000x3000px right now. I have the photo reference sitting on the same canvas, and I can put it on top of the painting to get things lined up. From what I can tell the eyes are in the correct place, but I can see how it might look wrong from the screenshot I provided.

@abone114

Thanks for the tip, I'll put a little more work into the nose and maybe I can line it up correctlyy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's an update on the painting.
    I tried to fix the nose, and i put in the other eye.

the painting and the photo shown here are not positioned to scale (I move the reference photo around the canvas a lot), so if you want a better comparison I suggest placing it in an art program and pasting the photo above the painting.

Any new suggestions or crits?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks nice, I think you made her jaw a bit too wide on her left (our right) side. Also, if that circle under her hair is going to be her ear, you've placed it a bit too low. I think her lips should be a bit rounder too, especially on top. Otherwise it looks really close to the reference, you've done a good job placing her features.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to minamongoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Choose a photo with a single direct light source to study from.

Better yet, draw from life.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to keith eager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The eye on the left (her right) seems a bit low. Nostrils also don't look aligned.

Jaw kinda lacks structure. In the original, you can make out a sort of ball chin shape (there's a bit of shading on the right showing it's protruding slightly from the jaw). I'd check a skull (e.g. this) and exaggerate the jaw line more.

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lulie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    personally i think its better figuring out this structure and positioning and stuff with rough sketches and thumbnails before going to with solid colors or blocking in stuff generally painting it in

but perhaps utilizing different types of approaches is a matter of taste

18. The Following User Says Thank You to eptigo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i would say if your new to portraits or studying the face - study it from a 90 degree angle first and get used to how all of the structures alighn before tilting and making it more difficult for your self. its a lot harder to mesure at that angle. another thing that gets said all the time and might have been said in an earlier comment is to flip the canvas (both picture and drawing) even upside down. that help you to read the image as a set of shadow shapes rather than a face.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.